Wondering about getting a Second Place Purchase of Name

Hi - this is a new one on me. For the contest about naming lines of Children’s Apparel. Yesterday I received email from SquadHelp congratulating me because the contest holder awarded me $50 for a name she isn’t choosing for this contest but for one she will use later. I don’t know what the original award amount was for the contest. Have thought about this… Yay, I won SOMETHING after months and months of winning nothing. (BTW don’t like those smiley faces. Reducing down to 4 choices really slams alot of us with “nahs”. I think too harsh) Ok, Yay I get the money. She loved the name “JimmyJumpz” for a line of boys clothes coming sometime down the line for her. So I really like this name that I will never get to try to use again and she has it held in her business on hold for sometime in the future. I thought well maybe she should have a contest sometime in the future so I could win the full amount of the prize. And then I thought I just sold a really great name for a portion of whatever the prize amount is. ??? How do you guys feel about this? Has it happened to you? I’m not like some great winner - and it’s been worse since the reduction of entries for some of us. And I AM grateful for the secondary “prize”. What do you guys think about this? And I won’t even be considered as a winner of a contest. Confusing to me. Any help in clarifying how I should feel about this? Thanks, Harley

Hi Harley. I think you are extremely fortunate that not only did she pay you $50 but she contacted you. Many, most, will just take the names and register them on their own and we get nothing. So this is really a victory for you. I guess in the future if you really like your name and want to reuse then delete it as soon as you see you are not the winner . And of course also realize that might not make too much of a difference as they may have printed out all the names for future use. Congratulations, that’s a fun name.

2 Likes

Just wanted to recognize your victory! High five!

2 Likes

@harley great name and to nice win :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s never a given if even a great name will be used/bought.I think a bird in the hand is worth it. I had the same thing happen to me for the scarf contest a month or two ago.She didn’t choose my name as the winner…but wanted to buy my name for the name of the headscarf. At the time, I was only offered $25 at first…which I was conflicted about.But then they changed it to $50 which was half of the award money…so I thought it was cool to at least have someone like my name and buy it,and money is money!

Of course my name for that contest was pretty specific…but alot of good names never get bought or win, or it can take many tries to hit the right CH who loves a particular name,if ever.

So I would probably take it as being flattering and a success. I know I felt the same way too, regretful that it didn’t count as a win…but all in all…you still had someone who loved your name.(And didn’t just take it without compensating you.)

There used to be $50 contests…so alot of creatives in the past sold their winning names for that amount.

1 Like

Thanks all for your kind thoughts and responses. It helps to find understanding! Thanks again!!

1 Like

Well, at least you got a bonus from a CH. I completely forgot that I still didn’t receive my bonus from a ch. Thanks for reminding me. Hayley. I better contact SH, again.