Winning Name Check

We have now added a “winning name check” which will automatically warn the creatives if a name being submitted has previously won in any other contest on Squadhelp. This will help minimize any situations where contestants unknowingly submit a name which was previously won.

14 Likes

Yippee! That’s all I will say is yippee!

2 Likes

That is good to hear. I’ve seen some winning names that have been previously won by someone else, and I’m like really??

5 Likes

The “winning name check” will be a big AdvantEdge! :wink:

10 Likes

I don’t get the point. If it’s not against the rules to submit a name that’s won before, why have a checker? Would it really matter? Look at all the AdvantEdge names… they were obviously submitted because people saw that they won before and they’re well-liked. I don’t think it’s a matter of people not knowing… I don’t know, just my two cents.

Hey Kim. You’re a creative person. Do you think that names such as AdvantEdge should be endlessly rehashed and win again and again? The CH’s aren’t aware of the previous catchy names winning so they think they’re getting a fresh brand name when in fact they’re getting leftovers without even knowing it, which will also make them compete later on in search engines over the exact same phrase and pay more. I don’t think that’s what SH is about. Also- do you really want to work hard in contests just to see someone win with AdvantEdge for the millionth time just because they got there first?

I think it would have been better to block usage of winning names or perhaps to even conceal all winning names to begin with, but the new system also seems like a step in the right direction. At least users will be aware in case they’re not aware and think twice before taking the easy route and that’s a positive thing both for the overall creative community and for the contest holders.

9 Likes

I have never entered a name BECAUSE I saw that it won before. One time was coincidence (I didn’t win) and the other was because the CH listed it as a liked name. I did not realize it had won recently. I like the checker because as I mentioned in an earlier thread, I don’t want to enter the exact same winning name as someone else and sometimes I’m not sure if it was my original idea or if I saw it five months ago from a winning user. If it’s a very creative name I don’t want to enter the same name as it was not my idea. ( if it is something like pinnacle mortgage or something I think using the word like that is different. But if it’s a unique spelling like “phyx” that never occurred to me before, then I would not submit that exact name.) I am not sure if the name checker just warns you that the name has won before or if it doesn’t allow you to submit it.

3 Likes

I agree with you Moretal. My point was basically that I doubt the checker will prevent duplicate winning names from being submitted if it’s obvious they’re copycats. I don’t know, I guess we’ll see. And Amanda I’m not talking about you, I know you aren’t intentionally submitting duplicate names. I’m not really talking about any one person in particular, just speaking in general terms.

2 Likes

You know what else should be blocked? When a CH writes a specific ‘name we like’ and that name wins. You shouldn’t be able to enter any names the CH mentions. It sux to spend time on a comp only to have them pick the exact name they put out there. I always know some ‘creative’ will enter the name the CH puts out there, but at that point it’s wasted everyone else’s time. I don’t care if the CH decides after a comp ends to go with a name they had previously thought of, but I feel it’s like cheating the system on a creative’s behalf.

Ok I know I just repeated myself about 3 times haha:)

10 Likes

Hey, someone was gonna do it, might as well take a shot at it. It’s their decision in the end what name they pick.

1 Like

I was just thinking the same thing,SMJ…why should a creative pay for their own name?

I’m trying to watch what I say here…but we get upset if a CH appears to scoop our name,so why should it be ok for us to scoop the CH’s name? Plus that was my feeling also, that when that happens I feel like all my time and effort was wasted.I don’t mind using the names listed as a bouncing off point…but I think that is different then submitting the name verbatim.

The idea here is to offer the CH creative names that we generate,isn’t it?

Although ultimately the CH picks,so it’s up to them if they want to buy their own name I guess.

4 Likes

I think it’s lame to have a contest and then end up picking your own name as well… But hell, if it has a chance of winning, why not? I submitted other names in that contest too but they didn’t like them as much. I’m not gonna lie, I enjoy being here for the creativity but I’m also here for the $$. And in the end, it’s their choice what they end up picking. Sorry!!

4 Likes

Whoops, didn’t know it would bleep that out… I guess I’ll say “heck” instead of h-e-l-l.

This isn’t directed to you,KK…it has happened many times.It’s just a general comment,dear.

2 Likes

Speaking of “Rehashed…again and again.” Couldn’t agree more and thanks as always for the words of wisdom.

1 Like

Sorry… got defensive… :flushed::blush:

If you look at it from the Contest Holder point of view, they are looking for a name for their company. They have an idea in their head, but they are hoping for something better. They are going to compare each and every submission to their original idea…the same as if they have a “love it” right off the bat. They are going to sit and compare each and every submission to that “love it.” If in the end, nothing holds up to the original name, then they’ve used the platform accurately…to narrow down their final name…whether it was from their creativity or ours. I wish I had thought to put his name in the box first. :slight_smile: Good win, KK.

3 Likes

OK so the name I just submitted got rejected because it was a winning name before. The name was Lynx. I really did think we would just get a warning and not be forbidden to submit the name. I mean, if the name won for an industry that is completely not related to the one I’m submitting it for, and/or a certain amount of time has passed, I think I should be able to submit it. Especially when contest holders want one word names that are real words. Or businesses like real estate or mortgages want a word in front of those words, it’s really gonna narrow down our choices. But the website can now advertise a totally unique name for each business! I would argue that some CHs would rather have a great name that is also used somewhere else than a lesser name just because it’s unique.

4 Likes

Amanda I absolutely agree.

1 Like

I have discovered that the warning actually will not let you submit the name at all. ( see my previous comment) what I would love is that we submit the same name, like I submitted Lynx, and the warning says “this name has won in a previous contest. For further information click here” and then the link would take me to the winners page and I could type “Lynx” into the search bar (that does not exist) and I would find the contest where Lynx won and see that it was for a brand of diapers and therefore not related the current contest’s industry, ( A car sharing service for example ) and I could feel confident in submitting the name. And it could even have a note in the messages for the CH that “this name has won before click here to search for details” etc. Some contest holders will not care, some may not select the name because of the message, and some may actually search to check what the industry was. My 2cents

6 Likes