What personal information does icann and legit registrars require

I attempted to register and they sent me an email requesting information I am not comfortable giving, thanks

1 Like

Not sure where you’re located? (I’m in Canada) When I started some years ago registering domains through GoDaddy, I had to provide a name, company name (if applicable), a mailing address, a phone number and a current email address. Essentially, everything needed for a correct Whois entry. I don’t remember being asked for any information I would have considered intrusive. However, I do know that might have changed with all the requirements now for KYC (Know Your Customer), anti money laundering protocols, privacy legislation etc

2 Likes

Thanks can they wanted dob and social, was not happening

1 Like

Try another registrar. I don’t recall ever having to give my social to Godaddy to register a domain name.

2 Likes

The thing is clinks, I bought it, then they sent a fraud suspect link asking for more info, and if I didn’t they would cancel. I wrote and asked for them to cancel, they said I needed to create a ticket, I haven’t heard back. I’m just afraid they could hurt me somehow on another site…

1 Like

Brrr, what a horror, can you give the name of the registrar?

I’d rather not just in case but I am in trouble and I do not understand. I went to register on a second…they gave me the they need more info too, then refused to register, charged me and disabled my account, all I wanted was domain for white label I do not know why, no customer support anyone have answers or experience with this?

I use three registrars all the time. I haven’t come across your problem anywhere, so it’s difficult for me to give advice until you give the name of the registrar, so that all domainers know, that it’s better not to deal with that site: 0)

1 Like

NameCheap was the first, they wanted info I was not comfortable with

1 Like

Sorry, I have never used the services of this registrar

Clinks godaddy seems to have taken me with no problem I was hoping to register cheaper as I have a few names, some for business and some to sell I want to register, I was brought to tears this morning over all this ugh

2 Likes

I hope you had time to read my answer.

2 Likes

If you think you may do volume buying, sign up on Godaddy for their bulk service. It does cost money, but you can buy a lot cheaper so it pays for itself…but it depends on how many you may buy.

2 Likes

Slogana,

I use Whois to register my domains for years. I’ve never ever had any problems with them. I’ve never had to provide that kind of sensitive information as you have had, I would assume if you list yourself as a ‘reseller’, then I can see they would ask for that. Whois’s .Com names are $9.99 and their privacy protection plan is less than $3 a year.

2 Likes

laura r
thankyou so much I didnt realize we can use who is. no I didnt list myself ad anything, the first time I used godaddy it was easy and this time too, maybe because godaddy knew me already anyway I will definately use who is

1 Like