Website Performance Improvement

In order to improve website stability, we need to remove some of the old data from the system. As part of this process, we will also be removing any contest submissions that are older than December, 2019. We will only be removing those submissions that received a “No Thank you” rating or if they did not receive any rating. If you would like to download all your submissions for the last 12 months, you can do that from your “My Contest Submissions” page.

We will be removing these submissions on or after April 10, 2020.

9 Likes

Thanks for the heads up Grant!!

3 Likes

Hey Grant
Maybe you can look into cleaning out the message boards too. I brought this up a year or two ago. Too many changes to read through to get to the current content.
Just a thought :hugs:
P.S. Hope you and yours are doing well.

5 Likes

Sadly, In my case you’d have a goldmine of old data to remove if you cleared my “Domain Not available” names.

6 Likes

Same here…you could wallpaper a room with “Domains No Longer Available” in my list too

6 Likes

I actually keep track, 144 in 2019 and 22 in 2020, so far :smiley:

7 Likes

Thanks for that please.:hugs:

I will be very sorry to lose access to a great deal of past data on contests I have entered. I’m checking those older entries frequently, to see what type of names I’ve entered in what type of contests. Sometimes I find the same name is a Love with one CH and a No Thanks with another, although both are in the exactly the same business field (useful information). Even if the retained information only went back 6 months, this would still be useful. But deleting all my contest entries (NTY & Not Rated) up to December 2019 feels like a real loss of research opportunity to me. I have downloaded the information but it is not searchable in the same way, nor can you click back to the contest to see (often) what name did win or whether the contest was abandoned. Please reconsider such a large scale stripping out of this data, and consider at least retaining the 6 months prior as a new standard.

7 Likes

What’s going to happen with CHs’ past contests? We will not be able to check what we entered in their contests more than 12 months old.

8 Likes

@grant

Why delete? You can archive them in database, in mysql for example you can make separate tables for archiving (ex: contests2018, contests2017…etc), or you can make separate database for archiving old stuff.

6 Likes

Agree! This information does not (and should not) need to be deleted. It is a valuable resource for each creative and I’m slightly shocked that such an obviously data driven company like SH seems so willing to just dump this. Since the clock is ticking on this, with April 10th being given as the date that all this will be deleted, I would really appreciate any further comment from @grant.

7 Likes

I agree with the archiving,as I had suggested this to the team several times in the past bc they said deleting them wasn’t an option due to an internal audit regulation or something to that effect?

Edited to add: Out of curiosity or lack of knowledge…
doesn’t deleting data take up space same as archiving data…both have their on folder? How would deleting instead of archiving improve performance??

2 Likes

As a platform, we maintain several backups of our data and even though we need to delete the data from the website to improve platform stability, we would still keep the old data as a backup. This data will not be accessible to creatives from the website, which is why we recommend downloading the entries if you would like to keep them for future domains.

As context, we currently have more than 10 million contest entries and our goal is to improve the website stability by clearing old data. We will do our best to keep the last 6 months of entries available to creatives.

2 Likes

@grant

Could you do the same with names that have won a contest too? There are many names that are available now that can’t be entered because they won a contest years ago.

Could you also do the same with unregistered names submitted to the marketplace? There are some fantastic names that didn’t get approved, especially in the early days.

Thanks for considering.

9 Likes

As you are keeping this old data as a backup for SH, it would be very helpful if maybe you could find a way that this would be also accessible for us creatives as an external link (maybe in the way you have the withdrawn entries) & make it all searchable for us.
As working from an excel separately is not convenient at all for me.
Hope you will find a solution to this matter. Thank you & with kind regards.

3 Likes

I’ll suggest you move all the domain to a separate page where we can download it at our convenient time, maybe an OTP to be sent to each creative who are willing to download from his or her own portfolio so that we won’t be downloading other creatives name. Is it possible @grant

1 Like