Updates to Domain Marketplace

oh no, I didn’t mean resubbing for sure! OMG, that would even take ME forever! I’ve subbed probably 500 names already, before SH made the process faster! LOL! Hours and hours!

3 Likes

Oh, yeah, @ablebrands asked for that. Not you. Resubmitting rejected submissions is done elsewhere… and it has its merits… but it does require resources and can waste a lot of time reviewing stuff that had no chance to begin with. SH has a great reviewing pace at the moment and new submissions should be prioritized. So… I’m all for SH scanning past rejected submissions and finding good fits based on data/needs. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The focus of our marketplace is slightly different from other marketplaces.

There are two key reasons we are extremely selective:

1. To make it as easy as possible for buyers to find what they are looking for, without going through thousands of options. We believe if the marketplace becomes too large, discovery of relevant names becomes a big issue. By keeping it tightly curated, we believe there is a better opportunity for buyers to discover great names without getting overwhelmed.

2. To make it easy for creatives to sell their names without much competition. If your name is competing against 50,000+ other names, it will have a much lesser opportunity of discovery and selection by a buyer. By staying extremely focused and curated in our marketplace, we believe your names receive a much higher visibility and consideration by prospective buyers.

If you buy your own domain after it wasn’t approved for marketplace, it does not necessarily increase your likelihood of acceptance if you submitted it again as an your own domain.

We do go back from time to time and re-evaluate our past decisions, and in some cases we have sent approval for names that were previously rejected.

In the future, we will look into providing an ability for creatives to resubmit their names after a certain period.

10 Likes

Makes sense and sounds great to me. Thanks for continuing to make this site more and more awesome and for the super duper customer support!

3 Likes

Have you considered using points system for resubmitting? But very strict one, for example 200 - 500 points per re-submission? Might work.
P.S. System is OK as it is, I really know nothing about good/bad domains so I keep SH operatives busy, submitting new batch as soon as previous one is rejected/accepted. But I too have some domains I would like to re-sub if possible. And I agree marketplace should remain highly curated as @grant likes to say :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s unfortunate but thank you very much for the information! @grant

Are we able to submit domains from previous contests if they are a extension other than a .COM?

You can submit non-.com extensions, but we highly favor .com’s.

Thank you for your quick response

1 Like

queston for grant, under the new pricing structure, we accept commission, but what if a client is open to a premium domain? Are we still getting at least the contest prize ammount if accepted commission is lower?

6 Likes

I’ve asked this question of SH before and the way that it was explained to me is …

If you win a contest and the customer purchases your name, you would receive the greater of contest award or your commission from the domain sale (if the contest is open to premium domains).
If the contest is not open to premium domains, you would receive the contest award.

This is also supported in the FAQs (find it here) but I think that Deni explained it more succinct and comprehensively, at least for me. Either one may be of help for different people, so I have included both.

Essentially - You get the greater amount - if the contest pays more you’ll get that, if your commission price is more you’ll get that – but ONLY if the CH is open to premium names. If they aren’t open to it, you get the contest prize.

Edited to add:

The ONLY thing that has concerned me about what is written in the FAQs and has always bothered me, is we take a hit for suggesting our marketplace names in contests. If a CH is open to premium domains – if the CH likes and wants to name our suggested premium domain as the winner SH will offer it to the CH at a discount …

if open to premium domain, the domain will be offered at a discounted price to the Contest Holder and you will still receive the full commission as per the commission rule of your entry

Personally I see this as a little unfair right now considering the CHs are able to peruse the marketplace at their leisure just like we can. They’re willing to be open to premium domains, it shouldn’t be offered at a ‘discount’ because they’re getting hundreds of other names to choose from as well and have the hundreds of other names to choose from if they looked through the marketplace themselves. If they choose to be open to premium and then choose a premium out of the name that are technically of the same quality that are in the clear of being able to buy without more investment, then they shouldn’t get a discount. They have other names to pick from in their contest – and they have the market place. They have options. If SH want to offer CH’s discounts on the premium names we offer can we then get notice that the name we have offered will be offered at a discount, what that discount is, and a chance to rescind our offer if that is the case?

1 Like

@rareworthy If I’m not mistaken, the discount the CHs are getting in the instance you mentioned, is a discount that’s unrelated to the commission creatives get. I think it’s the price of the marketplace domain that’s bought minus the reward for that contest.

4 Likes

@grant I thought that a “fix” was put in place so that if an entry is currently in a contest that is not closed (still pending winner selection) that it would “block” other creatives from submitting that same name into the marketplace. Once again I find one of my entries in a contest is now marked as a marketplace entry (and it is not me who submitted to the marketplace) - so it was available when I entered it 15 days ago, and now someone else “owns” it in the marketplace. What happened to the new system to not allow this until open contests are closed?

9 Likes

Hi, Same thing happened to me. Great minds think alike and great minds face alike. My entry was high rated and the contest is pending finalizing winners and the name is now sold on domain market place. This has happened twice with me. Things or policies are changing so fast on the market place. Thanks

2 Likes

I entered a name into a SH marketplace competition in May, it wasn’t even liked so I didn’t enter it for approval through the my entries page. I was under the impression of it was liked or loved that’s what we did for it then to be approved. But as it was seen and not liked I got the impression it wouldn’t be approved, obviously. Another creative put forward the name through their My Entries page in July and it was approved and is now for sale on marketplace. Personally, I think that’s unfair, the name was put forward by me in May, SH didn’t “like it” in May, but in July they did. Given this, what’s the point of the SH marketplace contests when the fact is their ratings obvs mean nothing and give no real guidance on your names. Sorry if that sounds humpy but getting a name approved is hard a flipping enough for some of us!!!

5 Likes

@jackieheraty @TIARAANGEL @whiteisland

As we continue to make updates to the Marketplace, we understand that not everyone may be aware of all the current policies.

We have created a Help Article that contains the critical Marketplace Submission Policies in one place:

If you still have questions, or if you have any situations where you feel that these policies were not followed, please communicate directly with the Customer Service Team via the Blue Button.

1 Like

“Submission to a Marketplace Contest does not guarantee or secure a place in SH marketplace. Marketplace contests are merely a mechanism to bring your names into the SH platform. You still need to explicitly submit that name to the SH Marketplace in order for it to be considered for approval and in order to block any other creatives from submitting the same name to the marketplace. ”

So to clarify, all names we creatives have entered into “Marketplace contest” we need to resubmit those names to the “Marketplace” to protect them as our submission, even though SH has already looked at them, so SH will need to look at them twice.

1 Like

Word, I understand why you posted this because the instructions seem to imply this. However, what actually happens in marketplace contests is you get a flag on the entry that indicates that you need to finish the submission process. “Liked” names (I have never seen “loves” in the marketplace) don’t always mean that you should finish the submission process. These are similar to “pre-approved” names where you have to take measures to complete the process.

I have had “likes” in marketplace contests that did not have the flag. I asked in a contest what that means but I did not get an answer. But I learned…the above.

@Grant, the instructions should probably be fine-tuned to be more explicit on this point.

1 Like

I had an entry not “liked” or rated but “seen” in a marketplace contest that I tried to submit to a new contest yesterday and discovered another creative now has it listed in the marketplace.

I thought we were told past submissions to the marketplace could not be submitted by other creatives, but apparently that doesn’t apply to marketplace contests. So to “protect” our submissions we need to resubmit marketplace contest entries into the Marketplace or they are fair game for other creatives to submit.

Yes, you are right. Submission to a marketplace contest is not equal to submission to the marketplace itself. My guess is that a key element of this for SH is the actual marketplace “rejection” to keep others from subbing. I know I have names of mine with no “submit” button because those names have already been entered to the actual marketplace and either rejected or accepted (either way, I cannot sub them).