Upcoming Changes to our Listing Types

In order to simplify our Listing Types (Basic, Basic Plus, Premium and WLM), we are announcing several changes that will be rolled out later this week. Here is a summary of those changes:

1. Going forward, we will only offer two listing types: Premium and Standard
  2. We will also have two separate Marketplaces on our platform (1. Premium Domain Marketplace, 2. All Domains Marketplace). The All domains marketplace will be a separate section on our platform and will offer a collection of all domains listed at SH (including Standard/WLM Listings)
  3. If you currently have WLM or Basic Listings, they will now be called Standard Listings. The commission for these standard listings will continue to be 7.5%. We have also added few additional options that allow you to add additional marketing exposure to these listings for a small fee (e.g. Remarketing & Submission to contests)
  4. You no longer need to setup a custom WLM marketplace to add standard listings. If you add Standard listings without your own WLM, those domains will show the Squadhelp branded landing pages.
  5. If you currently have searchable Basic Plus listings with a Logo, you will have the option to upgrade them to Premium Status. If you do not have a Logo for such listings, you will have the option to upgrade them to Premium by adding the Logo Design (for our standard fee) or keep them as searchable in the premium Marketplace.
  6. If you currently have non-searchable Basic Plus listings, they will be converted to Standard Listings with Marketing Exposure option. This way, you will continue to get all the existing benefits of Basic Plus listings, plus these listings will now be included in our Remarketing campaigns (if they have a logo or a visual image). In addition, the commission for these listings will drop from 25% ($400 minimum) to 20% ($300 minimum). Of course, if you do not wish to keep the Marketing Exposure option, you can remove the Basic plus listings and add them back as a Standard Listing which offers a lower commission.

We believe these changes will simplify our offerings going forward ,and will provide more value to our sellers.

Here is a chart that provides a comparison of the two listing types:

7 Likes

This is great! Questions: Will we have new buttons for each name in order to do the exposure upgrade or will that be a global choice? And basically same question for upgrading searchable BP names that already have logos: I know we already have an “upgrade to premium” button from before that would trigger a review but will we have a global button for those?

3 Likes

Grant, if someone didn’t manage to create the WLM page, does it make sense to do it now? Or it will become irrelevant for the new sales system

1 Like

Edukar, I realize you directed this to Grant but I do have a tiny bit of insight on the WLM page. There is one big benefit of having one: when people go to your page, they search only your listings - not the billions of others in the marketplace. I like that aspect as it is a nice addition to marketing strategies. Just a thought for you. the WLM page is super easy to set up. It won’t be irrelevant.

6 Likes

This is not what I have in mind when I think “simple”

Also curious why SH charges us to submit WLM names to contests.

We can submit un-regged names, which we don’t believe in enough to invest in, for free, but when it comes to submitting names that we have personally invested in, we have to pay?

This does not make sense. Particularly when SH would already receive a commission on the name if a CH likes and buys it.

4 Likes

Down in the fine print, it mentions a free option for premium marketplace submissions will still be offered, but SH’s commission will be higher for those. How much higher?

5 Likes

So bear with me, I just want to make sure my understanding of this is correct before I throw a fit about existing users getting hammered again…

1. If you currently have searchable Basic Plus listings with a Logo, you will have the option to upgrade them to Premium Status. If you do not have a Logo for such listings, you will have the option to upgrade them to Premium by adding the Logo Design (for our standard fee) or keep them as searchable in the premium Marketplace.

Option to upgrade? Free or at cost? If we upgrade, we will still have to pay a coin to be able to list them on Afternic? What happens to them if we don’t upgrade? Do they stay where they are, or do they get demoted to standard?

2. If you currently have non-searchable Basic Plus listings, they will be converted to Standard Listings with Marketing Exposure option. This way, you will continue to get all the existing benefits of Basic Plus listings, plus these listings will now be included in our Remarketing campaigns (if they have a logo or a visual image). In addition, the commission for these listings will drop from 25% ($400 minimum) to 20% ($300 minimum). Of course, if you do not wish to keep the Marketing Exposure option, you can remove the Basic plus listings and add them back as a Standard Listing which offers a lower commission.

Existing names with BP (non-searchable) listings move to standard 20% commission ($300 minimum) with marketing, yet new names get 7.5% commission with a $3 upgrade to include the marketing option?

Previously, WLM names with a logo were included in remarketing. Is this now no longer applicable without the $3 upgrade?

Can you provide more details on the exposure upgrade for standard please? What exactly is limited advertising? Are they positioned lower in the premium marketplace and get less advertising?

We’re also still waiting on an update on names submitted before coins were available that are currently in the Premium marketplace at 32.5%-37.5%. Currently an ‘upgrade to variable’ of 32.5% names will increase the commission to 35%! The bottom line is, I want a free upgrade to coin paid variable (30%) as I’m now sick of paying money to SH. I’m teetering on the edge of pulling the plug to be honest.

4 Likes

@Edukar, You are right, it is largely irrelevant with the new system.

If, as @Commulinks quite rightly points out, you want to promote your names yourself, it’s a nice add on. The reality is, within a few clicks anywhere on your site they end up on SH anyway.

For domainers, it’s brilliant, the pages get indexed in Google and the commission is only 7.5%. For those that just want to enter contests on SH then the new Standard marketplace is probably enough for you.

For any creative that is undecided, I’d probably suggest setting one up, it’s visually appealing and you never know where it may lead you, you may actually become a domainer in the future and you’ll already have the structure in place to do that.

Hope that helps you a little.

5 Likes

Thank you, Able, I wanted to hear your opinion and I did it. Despite the fact that I own a couple of hundred domains, I am not yet ready to open a personal WLM page just because I am more of a creative than a domainer. And it is important for me that I can submit my own domains in contests. And indexing of invisible domains will easily solve placement on Afterniс.

3 Likes

@Commulinks Yes, you will have new buttons for each standard name to do the exposure upgrade, or you will also have the option to do this in bulk.

For upgrading Searchable BP names, it will likely work the same way (individual links as well as bulk), however it may take few additional days for these options to be visible in your dashboard.

1 Like

If you would like to maintain your own custom branded Marketplace (with your own URL , Logo and branding), it still makes sense to setup your WLM marketplace. This way you can also promote your personal Marketplace to end users on social media etc.

On the other hand, if you are just looking for a landing page solution, you will be able to accomplish that by setting up a standard listing.

2 Likes

I want to start this post with the “bottom line” then say more: I think SH should put a moratorium on charging the fees for the changes for every domainer who has been in the marketplace since before this change gets made - and maybe even do more for domainers who have been in the marketplace from the beginning.

SH really has 3 customers on the selling end:

• Contestants who are now entering the marketplace after working on contests for a long time and want to protect their IP.

• Former/current contestants who entered the marketplace from the beginning or nearly the beginning of the marketplace

• Domainers who are now coming to SH to list their domains

In category 2: we have been operating from the rules given and have gone with flow. However, we have done some protesting along the way about being charged coins for entering names. The main point with category 2 is that we have invested in the marketplace a lot already. But the most important point here is that we made decisions about entering the marketplace and continuing to grow our portfolios on SH based on the rules laid out. (Like a business plan of sorts). I personally make decisions about what to buy, what to enter as unreg, and how I want them listed all against cost/value. The problem is that we keep having to change our business plans for our names based on new costs. (Maybe listing less).

Category 3 domainers come here for the first time now, look at the offerings and determine if it is worthwhile for them to list based on the rules laid out. They have no investment in SH’s platform beyond paying commission. They decide whether it is worth it to list here or not.

Category 1 LOYAL contestants who have not already dipped into the marketplace but know the rules end up having to nix the idea based on too many fees and not enough profit to support doing it. So their great names may never be in the marketplace.

So I said and still really like the new listing types but I must support @AbleBrands in saying that this is all getting way too expensive. And I can only imagine what this adds up to for Able, given that they have thousands of listings compared to my under 400.

I hope SH will put a moratorium on the fees for Category 1 & 2 creatives/domainers and proceed with the new fees, etc for new domainers only. This would give Category 1 & 2 customers the opportunity to move things around or add new names they may have as basic listings to sub into contests into the marketplace if they want to.

Thanks

5 Likes

@BrandLander sorry to hear that you do not see this as a simplification of our options. A lot of details shared in this post are meant to explain how existing listings (such as Basic, Basic plus, Basic plus searchable) will be handled as we move to the new model of two listing types.

Regarding submission of entries to contest, we want to make sure that our contest holders are not overwhelmed with too many “paid” options for low quality names that are not curated by our team. As a reminder, we do not have any pricing control as well as curation control on the Standard listings. Therefore, theoretically, people could submit irrelevant/ low quality names with a selling price in five or six figure range.

We believe the Exposure Upgrade option will limit such submissions however we will monitor these closely and make any adjustments as needed. It is important for us to ensure that we do not see an increase in contest abandonment or customer dissatisfaction because of the additional paid submissions to contests.

3 Likes

@ALDaisy1

The premium listing commissions for Coin and Free options remain unchanged. This article provides details about SH commissions:

https://helpdesk.squadhelp.com/en/articles/4393509-variable-commission-model-premium-domains

3 Likes

Thank you for the reply.

Please keep in mind that the likelihood of any domain being purchased by a CH is very low and that, while we might have a name perfectly suited to a single contest, most names won’t be relevant for the vast majority of contests. So paying to $3 per name to submit WLM names to contests doesn’t make much sense to me.

Monitoring low-quality submissions could easily be done with the SH rank. If a seller’s rank becomes too low, or CHs repeatedly flag submissions as unreasonable, sellers could receive warnings and be temporarily limited from submitting further names to contests.

Managing quality with the rank seems much more reasonable than a per-domain charge to allow a submission from the WLM.

1 Like

@AbleBrands

If you have already paid for Logo design for your Basic Plus Searchable listing, and if you decide to upgrade it to Premium, you will not need to pay coins again but you will receive the coin benefits (i.e. the commissions % and other benefits will be same as coin based submission for Premium Listings)

If you decide not to upgrade, the listing will remain searchable in Premium Marketplace without any change.

The WLM names with a SH created Logo will continue to be included in Remarketing. We may make changes to this benefit in future, however any domains where a Logo has already been added will continue to be included in Remarketing.

The Exposure upgrade specifically includes two benefits:

• Remarketing Ads (i.e. buyers see advertising ads after they visit your domain’s landing page)
  • Ability to Submit names in Contests

Our Premium Marketplace also gets significant exposure from our Advertising to potential buyers who have never visited SH before. The Standard Marketplace (and therefore standard listings) will not directly benefit from this type of prospect focused advertising which incurs significant advertising spends.

We will announce an upgrade path for such listings in the near future.

I would also like to make a broader point, that recaps the changes:

1. If you compare the new options to Basic Plus listings, you now receive significantly MORE benefits with REDUCED commissions. Previously, the Basic Plus listings incurred a commission of 25% (min $400) and they were not included in any Retargeting campaigns. Now, with Standard Listing (with Exposure Upgrade Option), you get all the benefits of Basic Plus, plus your names are also included in our Remarketing campaigns. In addition, your commission is now 20% (min $300), or 7.5% (if you pay $3 upfront).

2. The advertising expense in remarketing the domains is not trivial. For example, every time someone clicks on a Remarketing Ad, we pay on an average $0.50 to $1.50 per click (depending upon the channel). If you decide to go with the one-time $3 option, SH is likely spending significantly higher amount in remarketing over the life time of your listing. Alternatively, we have provided an option to not pay any upfront fee, for a commission rate which is still lower than the Basic Plus listings.

These changes are a significant step forward in reducing the overall costs for sellers, while providing more benefits. We could have continued with our current offerings (Basic, Basic Plus etc) but we have chosen to go down this path because we believe it not only simplifies our offerings, but it provides more value to sellers.

3 Likes

Grant, tell me, please. Does the 20% (min $300) commission only apply to new Standart domains? Is it possible to take into account that the previously submitted BPL domains will be automatically transferred to the new conditions?

Thanks Grant. Question: Does the SH commission increase if we upgrade from Basic Plus to premium?

1 Like

So that translates as Yes, we do need to pay to list them on Afternic?