Understanding domains

I am not that computer savvy…so I am wondering what some of the domain extensions besides .com mean,and why they are not used more frequently, as to inable CH’s to have better names since the .com domain is pretty much saturated.

I know .org is for nonprofits mainly…but why isn’t .net used more? And are .io and .me general domains…or are they for specific purposes? Do people just think most people searching will automatically think the domain will be a .com…so that’s why they want a .com…or are there any other reasons why some alternate domains aren’t being used more frequently? Any body know? Thanks!

2 Likes

@Hollygirl. Chances are if a top quality, 5-star brand name is taken as a .com, buying the brand name as a .net, or .me, etc. would likely just lead to trademark infringement. Same thing with alternative spellings. However the likeliness of this being the case drops with less than 5-star names (oh, I forgot we don’t have those anymore).

2 Likes

Besides, you don’t want a .co or .ly at the end of a name that is already taken as a .com, you’ll just be sending your customers to your competition because people automatically just do .com as habit

2 Likes

I think people want the best for their business, so since most top successful companies have a .com, it’s still the one to go for. Similarly, most customers will just think of .com first, consumers don’t like things complicated.

3 Likes

@hollygirl This explains what they all mean:
https://iwantmyname.com/domains/domain-name-registration-list-of-extensions

2 Likes

Thanks.I didn’t know there were so many choices!

Amazon just spent $10 million for .book domains

1 Like

@Demiurge

Amazon book review:

The Domain Game Hardcover – May 21, 2008
by David Kesmodel (Author)

‘‘Almost everyone has heard a tale of someone getting rich by selling an Internet domain name for a staggering price. But few understand the secretive world of domain investing, a game that a growing number of people are playing around the globe. The Domain Game chronicles the exploits of leading domain investors and explains how this mysterious market works. Learn how an Oklahoma watermelon farmer wound up owning some of the world’s most valuable Web addresses, from recipes.com to chairs.com, and how a college dropout became a multimillionaire by scooping up domains that others abandoned amid the dot-com bust. Find out how the rise of Google and Yahoo has helped boost the fortunes of domain investors. And explore the shenanigans of investors who snag names associated with corporate trademarks. Finally, read how you can jump into this exciting market with a relatively small initial investment. It’s a market with high risk, but huge potential reward.’’ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s one thing to tie up/buy a name if you are going to use it…but frustrating when you think of a good name, and find a domain sitter has snatched it up.In that case, I just try to alter it a little to find something that still works.