Tips for Contest Holders

@Chasity2ku CHs do not want to say “On the right track” because it’s really not on the right track.

That is why I’m suggesting:

• Love it
  • Like it
  • On the right track
  • (Something missing here)
  • No, thank you
2 Likes

@moretal. I have to go with you on this topic. Although I do agree that the bottom end of the rating system doesn’t seem to function so well and may need some tweaking. Yet, overall I don’t think it’s the CH’s job to micro manage our direction. We do need more help than they seem to give us when EVERYONE is missing the mark, but in most contests you’ll find some creatives hitting the mark just fine. We can’t all expect to be on the right track for all contests. I often wonder what those few like it or love it creatives are seeing that I am unable to see, but I think that’s just the natural way this all works. We either “get” their brand vision or we don’t. Sometimes they may not even have a vision. The CH’s are here for our creativity, and many of them want to see what we can come up with from a rather clean slate. Their favorite ideas are probably in directions they never even thought to point us in. I think you get my point, and I do understand my point may very well not be the same as others. Not sure there is a right or a wrong point here?

6 Likes

@CherryPopNames, I couldn’t agree more…

1 Like

Thanks, @CherryPopNames You’re right. In most cases a few creatives manage to hit what the CH is after and though it might be frustrating to other creatives to be on the other side of the equation on specific contests, the CH’s aren’t here to make everybody feel good about their direction and shouldn’t be reduced to micro management of creatives. There are some contests (in fact, plenty) where I just don’t get it and get a bunch of 'no thank you’s- so I move on. Or if the contest really interests me, I try something else. I truly don’t understand why so many people get frustrated with the ratings considering the amount of contests and opportunities SH offers.

1 Like

Also, as far as the abandoned contest thing. Trying to prevent people who enter the contest early from getting high ratings before the CH disappears doesn’t sound helpful. I don’t think telling the CH to pretend they don’t like entries will help them feel connected to the contest. It sounds much more like it’ll make them pessimistic about the entries, therefore encouraging them to pack up and leave.

3 Likes

I don’t either when it comes to feelings, and I personally don’t have any intentions of micro managing, or trying to guide their rating style in any way. My concerns on this matter our purely for the benefit of the CH and the creatives to have a bit of an unspoken understanding on the ratings. I know the ratings are interpreted a bit different by all, and ALWAYS will be, but that further supports my point of choosing the wording of the only negative rating so very carefully.

That is the only change I personally seek in regards to ratings.

Please consider how you’d feel if “love it” was a “thank you” instead. Really consider it!

Sure, we could manage with that. Other platforms do just a like or reject system. But it’s very unproductive and offers no guidance.

I love that SH attempts to show some guidance and meaning in their rating system. But I feel like they’re falling short with “no, thank you”! Why not tweak the wording of one rating to offer some clarification on all ends? No micro managing necessary :wink:

1 Like

I don’t mind the wording, either way. It can be changed if SH sees fit. The micro managing remark was in regards to Front’s suggestion, not in regards to changing the wording. Since it bothers you so much, then why not if SH decides it’s worth doing. Your example about ‘love it’ turning into a ‘thank you’ being a bad thing doesn’t apply to me because I really don’t care what the feedback is called like or what it looks like. It can be numbers, words, faces, V’s and X’s or anything else. ‘Love it’ can be ‘thank you’ and ‘no, thank you’ can be ‘your entry disgusts me’. Who cares? I try to hit the mark. If it works- great. If not- I either try something else or move on to the next contest. It’s not rocket science and no single name really matters that much (unless it’s stolen with no compensation).

2 Likes

I hope you all don’t think I’m trying to micro manage the CH’s choices. I’m not.

OTOH, a little guidance can’t hurt because the ratings can be freely adjusted at anytime.

From what I gather, contestants feel too much emotions from the rollercoaster ride, up and down without rhyme or reason. Attempting to minimize that can only be good. Not understand why contestants have emotions, is just that, but don’t mean that there’s nothing that needs fixing outside/under your purview.

Start of contest:

• Love it (0)
  • Like it (0)
  • On the right track (a possibility) (30)
  • Some missing rating (500)
  • No, thank you (200)

And 1-2 days later:

• Love it (4)
  • Like it (10)
  • On the right track (a possibility) (16)
  • Some missing rating (300)
  • No, thank you (600)

This don’t look so bad to me.

1 Like

I mean, somebody would submit The Greatest Name Ever™ and get upset because they got rated OTRT because, “It should be a Love It!” And then if it’s bumped up later they’d be mad because, “Why is the CH playing with my emotions!?”

Encouraging CHs to constantly change ratings isn’t going to make the ratings less of a rollercoaster.

4 Likes

@bedaring I see your point.

@Front I understand that people are reacting with emotion. And you can’t reason with emotion. But that’s no reason to tell the CH how they need to rate. They get bombarded with a thousand or more entries. Do they really need to re-rate entries as well later on in the contest, because you tell them that’s what creatives prefer? As you can see, at least 4 creatives don’t think it’s a good idea… so I think this tip should be put to rest.

The missing rating idea, on the other hand, might be helpful to some people if the current 4 options aren’t enough, so I can get behind that.

3 Likes

@moretal Already put to rest :slight_smile: Agreed too. There are other related aspects to discuss though, they all seem so tightly glued together and hard to see clearly. If I see something I think I should point it out.

Particularly that missing rating, without which makes my WIKI entry seem so foolish lol

PS. Ok, I will stop now. Peace :v:

3 Likes

I do understand what you’re saying, CPN. My personal gripe is with misleading directions/comments. Example: Our company colors are chartreuse and shocking pink; please see if you can incorporate them in the next batch of names. You know the rest. Or: What a clever idea! Great thinking outside the box! I appreciate the creativity! With a :frowning:

2 Likes

I propose a rating system more in line with dating scenarios
Old New
Nah / Sorry you’re just not my type
Ok / Stuck in the friends zone Bummer
Like it / Ok I like you but I don’t know if I like like you, (ok least your in the door))
Love It / I just found my soulmate

4 Likes

@moretal I know your micro manage comment wasn’t directly at me, but I just wanted to clarify my stance on the issue :slight_smile:

I’d also like to say I love hearing everyone’s feedback in a healthy manner! It’s nice hearing ideas bounced around and challenged without completely trying to tear someone’s ideas down! I know I’ve been guilty of that myself because I can be so stuck in my own way of thinking :confused:

Anyway, sometimes I wish I could be more like you, Moretal! Cool as a cucumber, letting everything slide right off. HA…that’d be the day!! I’m far too competitive and anal…but then again, other times, I’m glad I’m not…because if everybody had your whatever attitude, and didn’t care about the ins and outs of the system, it’d be no different than them other platforms that quite frankly SUCK and don’t listen to feedback, let alone implement it.

But people like me need people like you, to reel us back in and remind us it’s all for :poop:s and giggles anyway, and to not take it too serious :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks, Chasity2ku. I’m definitely not as cool as a cucumber or any other vegetable. Some things annoy the hell out of me, like CHs that try to cheat, for example. But entries are just entries. If something doesn’t work, I don’t think I need to question the CH why or get offended because I thought it was good. The CH is the one that decides. I just try to tackle things from another angle. And yes, it’s nice to have a healthy discussion. Though I’m wasting too much time in the forum! :smile:

2 Likes

I’ve deleted the WIKI entry.

PS. It’s been a healthy discourse, like it. Enjoyed the meeting of minds, love it. I feel we are on the right track. Yes, thank you.

4 Likes

@Front, ‘Something missing here’ - Properly Neutral

That would bring ‘On the right track’ (but i neither like nor hate this entry), which presently sends rather mixed messages in the ambiguity of signals that speak of being both positively inclined and at the same time neutral, to an expression of an emotion of a Mild Like/Promise

1 Like

Dating outcomes produced by the following system could be more successful :slight_smile:

Nah - the same as above
Ok - the same as above
Like it - the same as above
Attraction/Infatuation
Love it - the same as above

@vision How about “Not quite my word”? :slight_smile:

PS. I’m kidding, that would sound a bit snob.

1 Like