Thought's On Same Contest On Other Sites?

I just noticed there is a contest on another site that is also on squadhelp, word for word. Do creatives feel this is worth the time and effort? Especially when you are not only up against creatives on squadhelp but also hundreds of others on another site…I really only focus on squadhelp but sometimes I look at the other place which is how I seen this. I know the contest is guaranteed but would it be more likely to be abandoned? Just looking for some insights.

1 Like

For some reason it kinda bothers me when I see or hear of this but I’m not really sure why. I think it’s like we’re kinda being cheated on lol. But I don’t pay no mind to it because I’ve learned that whether it’s on another site or not, the CH is most likely always on the prowl for that perfect name rather it’s in conversation with friends or family members, posting on another site, running contests with staff members, brainstorming on their own, or just anything they see or hear that sparks an idea while the contest is running poses a risk for abandonment of the SH contest. I figure as long as it’s gauranteed and they pay up…what can you really do??

I personally don’t use any other site anymore but if I did I’d either avoid those contests on both sites or submit the same entries to both, if possible.

3 Likes

I think it would be more likely to be abandoned, in my opinion. However, as you have said, it is a guaranteed contest and it’s the CH’s money. Other sites, they may not have to pay when abandoning, or maybe they do – depends on the site. However, the point is, it’s their money and their choice to do whatever they want with it. I don’t think it’s fair to creatives to be compared to another site or other people offsite – especially if CHs can utilize examples in the future of comparisons of both to possibly make a negative connotation about SH. Although, how would SH prevent such? They wouldn’t have known about this specific occurrence had you not brought it up; they know the possibilities of such are there and it’s been discussed in the past in other threads when similar has happened, but SH is focused on this site and this site only so wouldn’t know when it does occur. Not sure how they would prevent such either.

I know that I, as a creative, upon noticing such (as in, if I were in your shoes) I would not participate in said contest. Just a personal preference. Domain hunters have been known to run contests on multiple sites to get thousands and thousands of ideas to be able to register them as-is or alter them minutely and register them to make big bucks. Because of this, many of us have ‘tells’ or ‘signs’ we each look for that seems like this may be the case or to just be more proactive to protect our own IP as well as the IP of others. Not saying this is the case, but it’s other issues about it as well. What would they do with the names? What is their intention? Why are they doing this? Too many unanswered questions.

Guess ignorance is bliss, in most cases, since I don’t go looking for this or don’t stumble on it really at all – I don’t actually have to think about it when participating. But, if I do stumble on it – I wouldn’t be entering it, personally. Not that the CH is doing anything wrong at all, it’s just a personal preference because everything stated herein as well as other unstated factors.

3 Likes

Lol being cheated on…I like that analogy.

3 Likes

I do not really care about there being two contests, I am just more concerned about what the true intentions are. I entered a couple of names on that one before realizing it, but I now do not feel comfortable going on with that particular contest. Thanks to all for the input and sharing your thoughts and experiences.

2 Likes

I’ve seen this before, too. I’ve never followed through to see if winners are declared on both sites or not. The other sites I’ve tried seem to have so little contests that get to completion that I gave up on them for that reason and many others a while ago. But I feel distrustful of those.

1 Like

Lol. In all seriousness, it’s less likely for it to be this, and I’m in no way implying that any of our CHs are doing this or even have done it as it is hard to prove. But we know marketplaces exist and we also know that there are domain hunters and would do nearly anything to be able to bank on the fact that good, decent, and creative domain names are slowly becoming extinct. So to say that it’s impossible that any would use SH or any other site for that matter – would be lying. So because it’s a possibility – although doubtful in almost all cases – that’s the reason (among other reasons) I’d stray away from the contest once finding it out.

2 Likes

Good points everyone…this is very helpful.

1 Like

I think that they put up the money and enrgy to do what they need to do to find the best possible name from as many resources as possible. Forgive them for they know not we are the best creatives they will find. So let them learn the hard way…:wink::laughing:

6 Likes