Thought on new subcategories?

Anyone have tips or thoughts on the best use of the new subcategories available in the marketplace? Having a limit of 3 possible categories leaves me undecided on how specific to be when listing possible uses (keep it broad or go ahead and narrow in??).

5 Likes

ooh, I haven’t seen the new subcategories yet!
I try to “test”… I change categories when names are not getting attention.
I am looking forward to what people have to say about this. I don’t know the answer!

4 Likes

I’m like you @Commulinks - I change mine around every couple of months.

5 Likes

I’m really not sure. If subcategories were separate (we could still have one primary use, three other possible uses, and then maybe three subcategories) I would be more comfortable. Using subcategories in most cases seems like it would really narrow a name’s viewing potential.

7 Likes

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the term “universal” could be included in the “categories” section. After all, an universal name can be taken into account by a large number of potential buyers. And we have a lot of such practically universal names that fit a lot of activities.

12 Likes

I like this and could use a Universal Category.

6 Likes

Although I welcome new categories such as “Website & Graphic Design” but I don’t like sub-categories… these add a level of complexity and return us back to past situation of too many sub-categories to chose from.

What really matters about this is how end user will use these sub-categories in search, currently I don’t see subcategories in main SH search and I think when implemented it will make search highly crowded and complex. So if this is final they must find a clever solution for the integration in search functionality.

I was hoping for “Abstract” or “General” category to be added to incubate versatile madeup names

@grant please tell us if this is final or you will change it? so that we don’t waste time updating our names and then discover that this will change again.

7 Likes

I absolutely don’t like the introduction of subcategories, it overloads the search for domains. I believe that the categories Abstract and Universal should be added

6 Likes

I haven’t yet seen the changes but “Generic Brand Name” or just Generic is the correct usage instead of Universal IMHO.

“Coined Word/Abstract” and probably an “Emerging Technology” kinda subcategory would be nice.

4 Likes

New categories do not have lifestyle images yet.
@grant are these categories final or subject to change?

3 Likes