Tell me this isn't brandable!

Alert:
This is a rant about the review process. :neutral_face:

Tell me GreenerCharge is not brandable?
Tell me in the age where there’s global discussion on green power, Climate change, solar power, renewable energy and electric vehicles, GreenerCharge isn’t suitable for the marketplace?
Tell me they (reviewers) can’t link Charge to to power/electricity/current, especially when the Greener is there?
Tell me this combination doesn’t work… I want to learn.

https://www.squadhelp.com/premium-domains-for-sale/all/q/Greener
https://www.squadhelp.com/premium-domains-for-sale/all/q/Charge

1 Like

Phil, I know how frustrating this can be. However, I think you are asking the wrong question. The question is whether or not your name is more valuable, sellable, etc as the 3 other names that your name was up against in the review process because the reviewers choose 1 of 4. Your name might be more appealing in some ways but not other ways, compared to the other 3. Here are some other thoughts:
The domain is worth $1388 (GD valuation). GreenCharge would be a better name. That domain GreenCharge (which is taken) is worth $8,688. Your name would not have been up against that name, but it gives you an idea.
Your domain is 13 characters
Your domain was registered this month

OF COURSE, some names that have the same valuation as yours and are handreg might get through the review process because they are just really appealing for some reason compared to the other 3 up for review. But I think the most important thing for all of us to understand is that the review process does not evaluate a single name as to its brandability. The system is designed to reject most names. The site average approval rate is 11.82% right now, according to our dashboard. If you are having a higher than average approval rating, then you are doing well.

I have a HUGE LIST of rejected names as everyone else probably does. Right now, I have a big bunch of names that I own that were rejected and I am shocked. Some of them were aged over 5 years and are less than 10 characters, brandable, etc and worth . I have been shocked at what has been rejected of my owned domains because I changed what I buy to do my utmost to get names approved. I have one that was registered in 2005 and is worth over $2500 that was rejected. But, I know that reviewers don’t evaluate a single name. Another name in the group had to have been more valuable, etc, than mine.

Even with all of this restriction on what is being approved, the marketplace is growing so fast that names already in the marketplace are not getting anywhere near the customer attention that they used to get.

I wish I could say that all of the new names being approved in the marketplace are so fantastic that their place in the marketplace can’t be denied. I can’t really say that is true, but I have to take it on faith that they got through for a good reason.

1 Like

If you check Namebio.com for comparable sales that start with ‘Greener’, you’ll see that there have been only 3 reported sales ever over $2000 in .com that start with Greener, which is the general price range you’d want to see. There are millions of unregistered domains that can work as brand names… but that doesn’t mean that every name people come up with has a decent chance to sell and should be accepted. GreenestCharge.com is also available to register and GreenerCharge.com was never registered before you registered it because it has a very low likelihood of selling. I can assure you, without even checking, that I could go ahead and register hundreds of domains now that start with ‘Greener’, have a great keyword after it and sound decent. That’s not a good reason for me to go and register them.

GreenCharge.com would have very likely been accepted. Once you start deviating from the best possible version of the name, you’re investing because it’s a name that sounds good to you and not because it’s likely or at least has a decent chance to sell. That, in my experience, is likely to lead to sitting on a lot of subpar domains that aren’t likely to sell and having a low ROI as a result.

2 Likes

Use Godaddy’s appraisal with caution. It’s just one data point and in some cases it isn’t relevant at all. In other cases it can be an indicator of potential value, especially for domains with higher valuations. It gives most unregistered domains $1000-$2000 appraisals so that can give you an idea of how irrelevant it is for low end domains. An appraisal in the $2500 range also basically means just about nothing. IMO a good way to look at it is: the higher it is, the more likely it is to have potential value because domains that are clearly good/great almost always have a higher appraisal compared to most domains (the reason being- most domains aren’t good). That doesn’t mean that a specific low appraised one isn’t worthwhile or that a high appraisal means that the domain is good though. It’s just a machine spitting out a guess based on partial data that it has. It can miss current trends or just make a bad guess because it doesn’t really understand brandables and what has a chance to sell and for what sum in a specific marketplace.

2 Likes

I understand all this. I was making a point about reviewers seeing 4 names.

Because you mentioned a couple of times that “the domain is worth $X (Godaddy Appraisal)” I thought it was worth addressing for anyone reading because an unregged domain like wizardant.com is appraised at $1217 but it’s worth $0. The 8K appraisal is the only one of them that demonstrates that Godaddy’s algorithm can often recognize a better quality name. For anything in the 0-$2XXX range it’s pretty much meaningless.

2 Likes

Thank you. I actually understand a lot of the things you stated.
I do have a huge list of rejected names too as I keep experimenting… :smile:

About this particular thread/post, I was looking to see how other Creatives and possibly reviewers think about keyword combinations like the one I mentioned.

1 Like

Does namebio have all stats of all domains sold? No. Not every marketplace (and Domainer) shares sales report to namebio. So that’s not a good point.

Also since you referenced namebio, do check the stats for names starting with the keyword DOVE.
And when you are done, take a look at the number of ‘Doves’ in the marketplace.

Correct

This logic isn’t sound. I do not buy the idea that all the good names have already been registered. Tens of contests are launched every week on this platform with majority going for unregistered submissions. And a lot of those names are great names. By your logic, it should be near impossible to find a usable/brandable name.

Brandabilty should be number 1 factor in evaluating a domain.
That it was recently registered shouldn’t be a reason why a domain is less valuable. Can you say all the Meta names (in the marketplace) registered within the last 12 months aren’t valuable (or less valuable) because they were recently registered?

Sure you can do that. But that wouldn’t take away the brandabilty of the keyword GreenerCharge. Right?

Fine point. When the best possible version isn’t available since there can only be 1 (if .com). The ‘next possible best’ usually works.
Example:
True/Truly
Smart/Smarter
And Greener too should.

Reported domain sales don’t tell the entire story but when there are enough reported sales in the range you hope to sell at as a relevant comparison- it does mean something because it covers many years of reported sales. A very small amount also means something. It’s just a part of it and you need to apply logic and consider more data points but it does help the assessment.

The fact that you can convince someone to register something out of a pool of unregistered domains means just about nothing when it comes to domain investing and trying to sell that something for $2K, let alone more. Many unregistered domains can be usable as company names. Some of them can be great. Some of them will sell if you own enough of them. But your sell through rate will still be much higher if you follow as much data as possible, partial as it may be, instead of registering just based on your opinion that something sounds good. I’m not saying that GreenerCharge.com can’t sell. I’m just saying that it’s less likely to sell than you think it is. You’re making a mistake that I also made when I first started domaining: you’re falling in love with your made up names. If you want to make more money- I recommend against it.

Anyway, you can do your own thing of course. There are many ways to make money in domaining, less or more of it. Just keep in mind that I won over 200 contests at Squadhelp and have been a domainer for around 9-10 years as my main source of income. So I probably know a thing or two about brandables and how to make money from them. You said you wanted to learn. So I might be worth listening to.

9 Likes