Symbols in Domains?

Hi @Dan,
Can you clarify the allowance of submitting symbols in a domain contest. I know it was okay for product/brand naming when a .com was not needed, but this is misleading in my opinion when the domain is requested. Example: Fōod.com has the symbol over the “o” and if you enter it in go daddy with the symbol, it says it is available, but if you enter it as just Food.com without the symbol, it is taken. I would just like clarification as this doesn’t seem legitimate to me. THX!

Really? When I searched (removed) it showed it was available.

1 Like

With or without the symbol?

it said : Sorry, food.com isn’t available.

Domain Name: food.COM
Registry Domain ID: 116823305_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.nicco.com
Registrar URL: http://nicco.com
Updated Date: 2016-04-12T04:11:44Z
Creation Date: 2004-04-11T14:35:01Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2017-04-11T18:35:01Z
Registrar: Nicco Ltd.

I looked again, it’s available for sale for $800. :eyes:

Don’t exactly know how all that works, but that’s what it showed me.

That is soo weird. It wasn’t showing for sale for $800 earlier, but it is showing now. I pasted from what I copied earlier. But I still want clarification on the symbols being allowed as it is misleading either way. And, this was a .com contest and no addendum was put on the end of that name, yet it was allowed in as an available domain…how did that happen? The symbol was the only way it got thru the system.

Special characters in domain name are misleading, and therefore should be avoided. These characters can confuse the domain checker and could pass as available, even though the actual underlying name is not available. We will add a policy on this and will add few more system restrictions in submitting domain names so creatives are not able submit such names intentionally or unintentionally. ]

At the end of the day it is CH’s decision to pick a winner and it is up to them to determine whether such a name is appropriate for their business. Sometimes, they like the underlying meaning of the name so much, that they end up going with a variation for the actual domain name. We ask the CHs to re-check the name availability as well as any trademark issues immediately before announcing the winner.

I would also like to remind everyone about not calling out specific winners, or winning names in the forum. It is ok to ask questions about policy or use made up examples if a clarification is needed, but as per our policy, we do not allow using actual examples of recent winners in our forum.

1 Like

Thanks @Dan. (20 characters)

1 Like