Subbing My "Premium" Names from another platform

I have wondered about this but always assumed I wasn’t allowed to do this… but I never asked so here goes:
I have many names listed on another platform. Am I allowed to submit them to premium contests that say that we can sub those names with YourName-SC? This would mean the CH would purchase my name on the other platform if it wins and that I would also receive the SH prize. Or would I have to list them under “my owned domains” and only accept the contest prize if it wins? (I am not sure if the other platform is exclusive listing or not, I would need to check).

I’ve never done it but I wondered, since we can sub other people’s “premium” domains, can we submit ours.

Note to @moretal: the quotes on premium are for you. I remember all your wise words about what is premium and what isn’t. LOL :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for the dedication of the quotes. Yeah, it’s really annoying when people say: Premium domains for sale! Then you check them out and it’s HappyPurpleToy.com or something similar that was registered two days ago. That’s often the case when people are trying to resell worthless domains. Premium can be a good word to use during pitches to potential end users though, but unless the domain is really valuable, it’s just a meaningless sales pitch word and if the potential buyer does a little research they can see it was registered two days ago and never registered before that. Anyway… I digress. But it’s great that you’re getting into domains more seriously @commulinks. I wish you much success on all platforms. And now I’ll let SH answer the actual question… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was under the understanding that we couldn’t any longer sub domain names unless they were our names that SH now owns and lists OR they are our names that we own that we are offering via SH. I think @grant said something about this in an earlier post somewhere – too much effort to search for reference – but I could swear it was asked if we could sub names that were purchasable elsewhere as ideas just because the CH is interested in being open to ‘premium’ domains and Grant said something along the lines that they have to be available in the marketplace and our own :thinking: I could be wrong, though. Bugger, am I going to have to track that down? Maybe I should. I’ll edit if I find it.

EDITED FOR:
@Commulinks Found it!:

So I am not sure how this will impact your question or if it will, but maybe it’s a bit of an idea. I think, and this is just my interpretation, that you’ll have to list those with SH for you to legitimately be able to submit them. But perhaps SH and @grant can review this and take it under consideration considering SH won’t choose to list all of our owned domains that we may have for various reason so perhaps they can allow this with this taken into consideration.

1 Like

right, I am talking about the few that say we can submit names from other places. In which case the brief says so.

2 Likes

p.s. I’ll just add in order not to discourage anyone that new hand regged domains can definitely be valuable and can be sold for nice sums, as the marketplace demonstrates. I’ve also witnessed some incredible sales within a year of newly hand registered domains for high $XXXX and even $XXXXX figures. It all depends on the domain, if it’s perfect for someone and how much money they’re willing to spend on it. It’s just that calling domains ‘Premium’ when a second ago they were available to be bought for $10… is a little problematic. That’s my opinion, anyway.

2 Likes

Ohh okay. I’ve only seen a few of those myself. So good question! I’m curious now as well.

1 Like

@Moretal, I call it “flipping” as opposed to premium. Handreg names you buy for $8 one day and sell six months later for 4 digits. The key in this is simply that you thought of it, you registered it and it is a creative idea or “intellectual property”… I hope one day to get in a position to have REAL premium domains!

2 Likes

Yeah, it is flipping but when trying to resell, ‘flipping’ naturally isn’t a helpful word. I just don’t like false advertising and ‘premium’ is such a word, that’s been abused by domainers to the point where it became pointless.

Regarding REAL premium domains… yeah, they’re awesome and can make high ROI but you need to make sure you buy at a price that leaves room for a profit. Finding real bargains isn’t that easy and auctions can get expensive. My advice to you is to take your time, study sales and gradually start buying stuff in the aftermarket. Start with expiring domains and then continue from there. Good luck!

2 Likes

New domainers misusing the word “premium” is like trying to sell a used Toyota Corolla under the heading: “luxury car” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Commulinks et al,

This is a good questions.

At this time, for the vast majority of contests, domains submitted should be available to register, listed in the Squadhelp Marketplace, or listed in My Owned Domains.

There are a select few contests, that are either managed by Squadhelp or have been reviewed by Squadhelp with messaging in the brief that indicated that premium domains from other Marketplace can be submitted by entering YourName-CS.com.

In this case, if a Creative owns a domain that they would like to submit to a specific contest, they should first enter the name for consideration in the Squadhelp Marketplace. If for some reason, the domain is not accepted,
the Creative can still submit the domain if it is listed for a fixed price by a credible site, and of course highly relevant to the project.

You should not at any time (inside or outside the platform) negotiate pricing on your own domains with the CH.

4 Likes

@grant That’s good to know. Thanks. I actually had a contest lately where the CH said he liked a name but prefers not to buy a premium even though the contest is open to premiums up to $2000. I mentioned in a comment that I could lower the price by a few hundred dollars from my end. I understand now that doing that isn’t allowed so I’ll refrain from doing it in the future. It would be better if all of these rules and stipulations would be written down as official policy. Not everybody visits the forum and not everybody reads every thread to find out these explanations about what can and can’t be done.

6 Likes

This is awesome! Thanks so much! Yes, it is rare and even rarer still that I have a name for that particular contest on another platform but I so appreciate being able to sub them if I do!

2 Likes

@grant just to clarify- there’s a new contest that’s co managed by SH and states that the CH will consider domains up to $20,000. Since there’s no mention of the ‘see comment’- that means that outside domains owned by creatives can’t be submitted, right?

2 Likes

Oops! Glad you are asking this, Moretal because I misread that one!

2 Likes

Hey @moretal, the brief has been changed for the —SC.

1 Like

@Commulinks Thanks! It’s all still kinda confusing. I had a feeling that external domains were possible in that contest, but if the ‘SeeComment’ isn’t mentioned there… things get problematic. SH should remember to add the SC if we’re allowed to submit external stuff. Or maybe come up with something more organized like adding the writing: submitting external domains is allowed or something of that nature as an option in the contest’s template.

2 Likes

I really like the use of the word “external” for it. That would make it very clear.

2 Likes

I’m thinking, kill 2 birds with one stone.

Change “Open to Premium Domains” to “Budget for Premium Domains” and give them a box to fill in an amount (which the default is $0).

And allow us to submit internal/external names.

6 Likes

It would be good for creatives, but on the other hand there is SH, trying to promote Marketplace, and I think it would not be a good move for them. Keep “Premium domains” label just for SH marketplace and add completely different option for external sources, with thorough explanation what that means. I know it complicates things a bit, but a lot of us had a situation that CH comments “I love your name, but it is a bit expensive” in a contest with “Premium = YES” and marketplace price under $1000

2 Likes

The brief has been updated. Thank you.

3 Likes