Share your Experiences, and how can I start winning

Hello everyone, I’m a bit new here, and I’ve found the struggle so real… Could someone help by sharing his/her experiences and teach me how to win please :sweat::sweat:
I wanna be like y’all

5 Likes

Welcome @BlueSpice, unfortunately there is no exact formula to it.
Keep plugging away and try to not to get too discouraged. Naming is very subjective, I can’t tell you how many times I’d thought I came up with the perfect name, only to have it rejected.
Good luck and keep trying!!

9 Likes

Here are a few business naming starter tips that we’ve develop.

Welcome to the community!

8 Likes

Wow. Thanks @vegangirl @grant. I’ll try giving it a try.

3 Likes

Hi BlueSpice,
One thing that is really helpful is to study the names that are winning and figure out why they won…I also to try and get inside the head of the Contest Holder…,. meaning I try to figure them out…are they conservative or more outside the box? Is it male or female? Certain industries like banking, investment and mortgage are pretty conservative. Then - with Ecommerce such as pet and Household brands-- they often like the Blank and Blank names… have the " and " in the middle opens up a lot more domains. Another thing to think of is alliteration which can be hard to come by-- but a bit easier with those " and " names. You will also find certain types of industries or names you are better at. I like household and real estate but am not so great at the tech names and mash ups. I still try them though! I find it fun and challenging for the most part- although occasionally frustrating too! SquadHelp is really good about answering your questions with the blue button and will always help you out… Best of luck!

10 Likes

Wow @cabotco I’m quite impressed. No wonder you have many wins :wink:

2 Likes

You’re very good with the Real Estate ones, Cabotco. I think you win all of them! Good Advice too

3 Likes

@BlueSpice If you figure it out please let us know :slight_smile: for me it has been trial and error.

5 Likes

Superb advice @cabotco. I personally was just about to throw in the towel after almost four months of slogging with no win, and not much luck in the Marketplace either. I’ll start asap to try out your way and I am sure the pipe will open up soon enough. Thank you!!:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks LauraE and BlueSpice,
I was really horrid at naming the first 6 months after starting but found it fun so kept going-- then things started slowly picking up… I have 4 realtors in the family so maybe that is why that industry has been good for me. I may have run out of housing pieces and parts at this point though! Not sure the psychology approach will work for every contest but worth a try. The shotgun approach also works-- trying 1 made up name, 1 mash up and 1 descriptive or blank & blank - to see where they are leaning…
It’s also good to think of it as a word game - that pays off occasionally. Good luck to all!

8 Likes

Soni, Good luck and hope things start clicking for you soon!

2 Likes

@cabotco Thanks a bunch…
Kindly give an example of a descriptive name

Thank you very much Cabotco!

@BlueSpice A few descriptive name examples would be Lyft, Foot Locker, Two Men and a Truck, General Mills, Burger King, Dairy Queen, etc. These are names that describe the companies of which they represent and the types of products/services they offer in a more literal sense. Descriptive names are meant to immediately be able to make sense to the general public and/or the targeted audience for which the brand is aiming towards.

For example:
Lyft – describes getting a ‘lift’, someone needing a ride and being able to obtain one.
Foot Locker – a place that sells things for feet – shoes, etc.
Two Men and a Truck – quite literally two men with a truck that bring the truck to help someone in need of use of a truck and people to load and drive said truck.

3 Likes

@rareworthy thank so much :revolving_hearts::revolving_hearts::revolving_hearts:

3 Likes

Buy a vacation package for a year and give it to those who always win. Maybe you can start winning:-)

4 Likes

Here are two articles on naming styles (e.g. descriptive, classic, fun) and naming types with examples, which I thought you might enjoy:

3 Likes

@grant wow, You made my day already.

1 Like

The competition is tough because SH has some very talented people and only one of us gets to win. But, some creatives get money through being runner-ups or top picks and that’s always nice (shortlisted names in abandoned contests). It can be challenging, discouraging, rewarding and interesting. You’ll learn no-matter what. Give it time.

6 Likes

Hi there, these are all really good suggestions. Another suggestion that may be helpful is to watch your own trends. Are there certain words that are ‘liked’ and ‘loved’ more than others? I have found that there tends to be a pattern. Naming is very subjective and there’s no exact science, yet there do seem to be certain words, prefixes, suffixes, etc. that resonate with a lot of people. Another thing is to always make sure you respond to the CH when they leave you a message. Interact as much as possible, but be short, friendly, and concise in your responses. Focus on contests where the CH is open to giving feedback and direction. It’s better to focus more energy in the contests where they let you know what they want and how close your names are to what they are looking for. I also agree with Cabatco. I try and use alliteration whenever possible. It often sounds more appealing. And remember, 90% of CH prefer short entries, even if they don’t request it. Keep that in mind. Be persistent, and you are sure to have some wins under your belt:)

3 Likes