Sayings in your country

My Mom used to say, “shake a leg” when she wanted us to get moving.

From Pensacola Florida before meeting my dad down in Bufford Pulsor County.

The equivalent of that saying in the U.S. is “shut your piehole”
Also: “Button it” and “Zip It” - usually used when you are arguing with someone or in haste to make sure someone knows you want them to be quiet.

My mother often spoke French and English in one sentence because sometimes there wasn’t an English word that was as good as French. She used to say “Excitée, that one”…
meaning that girl is hyperactive

The Russians also say ‘Delo v shlyape’ (The deal is in the hat) when they successfully complete a deal or the situation resolves in their favor

Now my mom is from Scotland, not sure if this is a saying there, but as kids if we asked what was for supper. The reply was “Sh*t on a shingle”. Still don’t know what it means lol

Yes, we had that here - I believe that name originated from the military cooks. Chipped Beef on Toast was the “shingle” and the dish was also called S.O.S. I thought it looked just like the name and tasted only slightly better. :frowning:

@BrandCamp,@LisaMac
Yes it is a dish here where I’m from as well.I have made the SOS dish using ground beef,onions,and make a gravy out of it to pour over toast.

Djeetyet reminds me of Geterdone or phonetically Giterdun. (Let’s do this, let’s get it done)

Now, I wouldn’t be a true New Yorkerf if I didn’t add the very popular…
Fuggedaboutit!

Here in Nigeria where I come from, we say “Don’t sleep on it” which literally means to be smart, sharp, and utilizing every given opportunities.

Likewise, there is “Ji ma sun”. It is of the Yoruba dialect and it means “Wake and Don’t Sleep”.

Just like “Don’t sleep on it”, “Ji ma sun” also connotes being sharp, smart and utilizing opportunities.

Let’s make it harder! The Tajiks say ’ Don’t be a pigeon sitting on two roofs’. Russians about the same phenomenon say ‘for two hares chase - you will not catch any’. What do native English speakers say in this case?

@Edukar Assuming these sayings are basically warnings against indecision, the closest ones I can think of are “A man with two masters serves no one” or the less refined “P*ss or get off the pot”. (apologies in advance, lol).

A little wrong. It’s not about indecision. These sayings correspond to this ‘Chasing two birds with one stone - you won’t catch a single one’

Hmmm, I don’t know then. Here we use the phrase “two birds with one stone” in a positive way, to suggest efficiency.

Interestingly, we also have a proverb 'Kill two hares (with one shot). In the first case, it was understood that if you run after each of the hare, then they will both run away So these sayings exist in two guises: 0)

I think the closest thing we might have for this is “trying to herd rabbits” !!!

A similar saying in the US is “don’t rest on your laurels”

And there is a relatively new slang word in America (maybe also elsewhere) that is the real word “woke” - it is used to mean socially conscious. Used in a sentence (in very casual conversation) - “That dude is woke”

Here’s one, maybe some other countries have a similar one?..
“Splitting hairs”

Which means to make a big, detailed deal of something, to overdue analyzing something

Just saw this on Twitter and thought you guys would get a kick out of it. I never heard the term “gaper” in Colorado - but I don’t ski, so that is probably why. https://www.farandwide.com/s/top-slang-united-states-f185c0f9a79e4a4f