Sayings in your country

From England (where I grew up):
“Mad as a box of frogs” (doesn’t need translation!)
“A face like a bag of spanners” (socket wrenches in USA & Canada)
“A total dog’s breakfast” (a complete mess)

In Australia, we say “a few kangaroos short of a top paddock”, to refer to someone who isn’t too bright.

Tennessian
@dwoolly75 One card shy of a full deck

Half passed a monkeys BUNS and a quarter to his PEANUTS my mom would say this when us kids would ask what time is it?

Edited in the name of FUN!!)

I have never heard of anything like those before! My favorite of these is “a face like a bag of spanners!”

LOLOLOL!

LOLOLOLOLOL Mary. Love it!

What kinda Smoke You Crackin?!lol…Is something we say here when someone does or says something totally off the wall…

OK, so I am a French-Canadian-American. My family spoke broken English/French. We had a lot of funny sayings:
“Side by each” (side by side)
“Paralyzed the curb” = parallel to the curb/parallel parking
“One on top the udder” = stacked up

I lived in Florida, which you may not know is the DEEP south …
“I am fixin’ to” - it means you are getting ready to do something
“y’all”… Americans know this means you all - but those in other countries might not know

I grew up in New Hampshire (Yankee all the way) AKA (NaHampsha). In NH, we:
Pahkd the Cah in Hahvad Yahd
Yes, every good thing in New Hampshire was “wicked good”… just like in Boston

I visited Jamaica where everything was…
“No problem” and “Yah mon”
(boy, did I ever LOVE Jamaica)

I lived in California and at the time, great things were so “Gnarly” (great, good, beyond great)

I live now in Col O RAD Oh
Where we have no accent and no sayings except that we pronounce things wrong. I.E. a town called Buena Vista (which should be pronounced Bwayna Vista) is actually pronounced Byouna Vista (Anglicized to the max!) AKA: Shortened to Byounie. Hey,let’s go 4-wheeling in Byounie

Of course, that reminds me of the song…
The smoker you drink, the player you get

LOLOL

One of my favorites in America:
Not my circus, not my monkeys…

Meaning: (Hard to translate!) … sort of means this is not my problem.

Oh that is too funny!!

@Commulinks
:joy::joy::joy: Love One on top the Udder
Shudda hadda uh duh smack-A V-8 Juice
He/She needs some smack-rite (get it right)

I’m from Georgia (South Caucasus) and we have a very interesting word Shemomekharja that means “By accident, I spent it all - but I didn’t want to and I am expecting your understanding about it”. Just one word, but what a meaning!

Woo that’s a mouth full @irinalle …bless it ,I can’t even pronounce it…:crazy_face: got me stumped :smiley:

Yes, Georgian language is difficult enough, it has only 5 vowels and there are to many mouthfuls. You know, Shemomekharja is the favorite word of the British ambassador in Georgia; he was so amazed by its meaning that even bought a T-shirt with this word. :smiley:

When Russians ask Who is there or Who did it? You can hear the humorous answer Horse in the coat. Sounds original in rhyme ‘Kto, kto? Kon’ v palto

Yes! The sticks almost forgot that one

Mary, where is your mom from? I’ve heard that one all my life

In NY we call it having a butterface. A beautiful body with a face so ugly it could melt butter lol

In Russia there is a proverb “Nogi v ruki - i vperiod!” / “Take legs in hands - and go!”. This means that a person needs not to hesitate, but to go on business, which is urgent. For example, a mother tells her son: “Go get some groceries!” The son replies: “I have no time, I have my own plans!” To which mother replies: “What are your plans, while sugar and milk are over? Take legs in hands - and go!” :slight_smile: