Sayings in your country

We have been having fun with the word association game (gets the creativity going!). I thought it would be fun to start a string about sayings you have where you come from (whether it be your country, province or state…) Now translating them to English should be interesting, too.

So, what’s a common saying from your world?

I have one to start us off because I had an argument (not really) with my husband about whether this was a real saying or not… he used it on me when we were playing cards. I was winning, then suddenly he took the game over. He said:
“The worm has turned”

I said, that’s not a thing. He said, yes it is and he googled it for me. LOL. Yes, it’s a thing.

This is the Mandela effect , when you remember and know it, but someone does not :0)

Djeetyet?

Yes … don’t judge … it’s a thing. It’s actually said just like that too and yes, it’s written just that way too. If you haven’t figured it out, this is the way that ‘did you eat yet’ is said around my parts by MANY people. Yes, I’m shaking my head too, the same I always do … every … single … time … I hear it.

Dippy eggs

Not as much of a phrase but still constitutes as a saying because it’s, again as before, so widely used here. My roommate even says this. Yes … she says ‘dippy eggs’, to which I tell her she’s dippy for doing such :joy: Anyhow, dippy eggs are any kind of eggs that are a bit runny … so over easy, soft boiled, poached, etc … dippy eggs are for either ‘scoopin’ or ‘dunkin’ with toast. :man_facepalming:

In the french language we say “Occupe-toi de tes oignons” which translates to “Take care of your own onions” (It means Mind Your Own Business). Why onions? No idea…

In Australia, we have so much slang that we almost speak a different language. I was living in London and I used the term “Are you giving me sht?" …and I got some really blank / offended stares. I had to explain what I meant. Then I realised my explanations were just more Aussie slang phrases such as “Paying out on me”, “Stirring me” etc. In Australia, if you "give someone sht”, you’re teasing them in the hope of a playful response. It’s not nasty, but playful banter that starts with a teasing comment about something they’ve done / said / worn etc.I have to be careful when travelling as the Aussie sense of humour is a little errr… unique. :laughing:

How about “the lights are on, but nobody’s home” referring to someone who isn’t all there, or an unruly child who is “itchin’ for a whippin’”.

Russian say ‘Zakroi Varezhku’ (Shut Your Mitten!) It means Shut up

Or are you ‘cruisin for a bruisin? That was a saying my mom used.

My Grandmother used to say “Land a Goshen” when she was amazed or excited about something. The Land of Goshen was the place of the Israelites bondage::i don’r know how this became a phrase::: As a child, I thought she was saying “Altlantic Ocean!” She would shorten it to “My Lands!” and as she was a southerner it sounded like “Ma layaands!! Land a Goshen!!”

Serbian: Ne mešaj babe i žabe
English: Don’t mix frogs and grandmothers
Meaning - don’t compare two things that are not similar (Don’t mix apples and oranges.)

Serbian: Što je babi milo to joj se i snilo.
English: What grandmother desires, that she dreams.
Meaning: You always expect good things happen to you (wishful thinking)

And one a bit naughty word, when out of context.
Serbian: vukojebina
English: place where wolfs copulate (I’m being polite, use the worst word for copulation)
Meaning: far from anything, middle of nowhere.
Example: He lives in vukojebina, you can’t get there by car.

oh my gosh, you guys, this is so fun!!!
I have lived in several places in the U.S. and each place had its own sayings… will share more later but you guys are knocking me out! How fun!

I think I will adopt this one.

Are you from NY? I am and Djeetyet was common for me growing up Brooklyn.

My ma’ s from Scotland and say that all the time!

Here we say…a few fries short of a happy meal…not the sharpest tool in the shed…not the brightest crayon in the box, etc etc lol

In America we call it living in the boonies

No, but you’re close. Pennsylvania.

Gypsies say: ‘Dova Yagorye de bubny marla’. It is literally translated Egoriy (my first name) strikes into tambourines. It means Thunder is booming

Yep, I have… More numb than a frozen mukluk - One twist short of a slinky - Driveway doesn’t quite reach the road -Forgot to pay his brain bill - A few Bradys short of a bunch.

@LisaMac @AvramChe Or out in the sticks.