Orthopedic brand name win and my name is now bought!

Wow! I am very happy for the winner! I was hoping to have a chance at winning that one since I had one of the fives. I think I am trying to hard. I am in a situation to where I really need this. It seems like I am always so close. Oh well, In any case I am happy for the lucky winner! Our names were some what close, so the ch must of liked that word;) However, After thinking for a second, I thought hmm if my name did well with this contest maybe I would try it on a different contest if it fit the criteria so I tried it and I see that the domain is bought! This seems very suspicious to me. So I tried my other names from that same contest to check them out and about 4 of them now say they have trade marks. I am pretty sure all were free and clear when I first posted them. I don’t submit unless they are clear. Very strange. I know my names are good too. I see similar ones all the time or other users have chose them before I did. I know, Great minds think a like. I love doing this and I want to keep trying but I don’t know any more? Is this all real or not? I want to believe it is. Or is it all chance and I have to be in the right place at the right time with my names? How do these CHs get a way with this? It makes me feel used.

2 Likes

I feel like it’s a game of chance bc the the competition is great and fierce. I was so close one time, trended all the way through. It was a hard recovery lol but I keep trying bc I enjoy it that much. Keep ya chin up and just keep doing what you do which is being creative :+1:

2 Likes

@Lisa1 I share your bewilderment. I have a feeling now my mind is on some kind of auto-dumb-pilot, it refuses to come up with good names, you know… to protect me lol

Fact, the internet is good for all, even sc__bags.

3 Likes

I just had one of six 5 star names in a contest that just closed,and thought I had a good chance…and suddenly I went from 5 stars to a nah (after closing) just like that. I don’t understand why even if they were going with another name(which they did…) they had to demote my name to a nah? All my 5 star names or trending names lately haven’t won. Sometimes it doesn’t make sense and you just have to roll with it.It’s a roll of the dice,for sure.

I would check and see when the names were bought though to be sure they just weren’t bought.

2 Likes

The name must have been already Tm’d because it takes at least 6mths if not more to get your name finalized for trademark…there is an extensive process, legal research etc that must be done. You can’t get a name trademarked in a matter of days.

Owning the domain and owning the TM are two different things. You can have one without the other.

Also the Ortho Contest was just for a name, not a domain.

4 Likes

@hollygirl,OMG , I was just talking to my husband earlier tonight about the same thing. I had another 5 star last week that was demoted to a 2 as soon as the contest closed ! There were only a few 5s so it wasn’t like 100s of 5s that needed to be thrown away to wean out names. All they had to do was pick their winner from a few. I mean, why did they have to demote me just to pick their winner? Really, 30 points gone just like that! That is one strange thing I find about this site. I think once a contest closes all points should stick unless the CH makes your score higher to win, like a 3 to a 5. Thank you and I will take your advice and I will check and see when the name was bought. It is fishy and kind of strange that 4 other names from the same contest were also suddenly taken as well for trademark. It Just seems like to much of a coinsidence to me. As far as winning goes I wish my time would come soon at least one win would be incredible because I really really need it now. I mean NEED like with in 2 days! Lol Of course with how my luck has been lately a win probably Isn’t even disbursed right away or maybe it is? Haha I Wish I could find out soon though. Ha Wishful dreams are all I have right now. :smile: Lol For now I will keep clicking and plugging away with creative names and just keep on hoping.:slight_smile: Someday it will come I know it will! Hear me Universe? I am trying to stay positive here!!! Lol

2 Likes

I understand they only wanted a name and not a domain. However, I think it is possible for a ch to say they want a certain criteria when in fact they really have other motives. To which I think does happen. However, I understand your point as well. :slight_smile: In any case I do know for a fact that all the names I submitted were free and clear just last week when I put them in. Unless the domain and tm Finder are wrong sometimes? Maybe that is whats happening? Thank you for always listening and replying to me, I really do appreciate your time and help! :smile: I am learning new things all the time here through this naming process.

I wonder if the interface on the CH side is designed in a way that encourages demotions. Imagine sifting through 100s or 1,000s of entries, where selecting ‘Nah’ means they are no longer cluttering the screen (even if you rated higher earlier).

If this is confirmed, I’d suggest moving this particular issue to a bug thread.

1 Like

That’s exactly how the platform is set up for the CH’s, it’s not a ‘bug’.

Giving them ability to de-clutter their screen increase the chances that they find a great name easily and ultimately pick a winner.

@Lisa1 you do not lose points if the CH downgrades after a contest is closed.

1 Like

I am not sure when you submit a name that it checks the trademark. I think it’s just checking to see if anyone else has submitted the same name. Then when your entry is submitted you can check the trademark then. Is that what you did? Because one of my entries also has a trademark on it right now, but I did not actually check the trademark using the trademark button Until today.

1 Like

It does still affect your percentages if they change your score.It doesn’t matter if it is before or after the contest closes.I brought up this point and am attaching Dan’s reply… "as explained earlier, the high rated % is used to provide additional benefits to those contestants who tend to receive relatively higher ratings compared to other contestants. This calculation is exactly the same as before, and we plan to keep it this way going forward.

We can not change this metric based upon the timeframe when the CH provided the ratings (i.e. before or after the end of contest). We use the final rating scores from all contests and calculate this metric at an overall level for all users. So, yes, technically your score could go down if a CH downgrades the ratings. Similarly, it could go up if they upgrade the ratings."

2 Likes

Yes, and your stats are even more important than points, because your stats determine how many entries you are allowed to submit to the contest and by that it increases or decreases your chances of winning. So in this way we’re still penalized even after the contest is over.

1 Like

I have had some of your same concerns. I wonder if some of the contests held are actually Domain Buyers. Choosing names they believe will sell for a good profit and using many of our submissions for their personal buying choices. Hmm Just a thought.

3 Likes

This wd reely b belo th blt

Welcome @Lisa1,

I went 4 months here without winning, then Wham, I won 3 contests in a relative short period of time…So keep at it. Also, names and CH are an interesting lot. One contestant here had submitted his now winning name numerous times in previous contests until it won. And it was a good win too. So hang on to your names!

2 Likes