New thing- blocked from contests

Hi all. Anybody else been blocked from contest? Getting note “CH accepting names from smaller pool of creatives…”. Wow, no feedback just :frowning: and boom your blocked? What are your thoughts? I think they should note their brief before we waste our time, you?

4 Likes

Not new, but very rare. Happened to everyone a few times, don’t stress yourself about it. Some contests have 2.000+ entries so it is reasonable that CHs decide to reduce number of participants based on their first batch of submitted entries. If I was a CH I would definitely use that option.

5 Likes

Yeah, I asked one time if SH could add a note on a contest when the CH is blocking people. I would like to know that before I dive in, just like I think twice about entering contests where there are 350 rejected names and no likes, etc. I think it’s only fair that we know. We have been talking about blocking on another string somewhere else, too. We don’t even know if we have been blocked unless we try to enter again. One time I had entered only one name and was in the process of thinking hard about more… and got blocked. It is rare, though.

5 Likes

Yes, it happened to me recently on a $1,000 contest. Discouraging because I had just thought of what I figured was a great name and was unable to enter it.

1 Like

Yes, were you talking about the thread on percentile scores dropping and how being blocked from contests can have a huge affect on your percentile ranking? Like you said, it is very rare to be blocked. I can only recall a few contests I’ve been blocked from. One time, I had just started submitting names and had likes along with comments, ‘Please submit more along these lines.’ Next thing I know, I went to submit a name and they chose to block me and I suppose others to only accept names from a smaller pool. So confusing. But, I just moved on. I had no idea a CH deciding to only accept names from a smaller pool can drastically drop your percentile. So I guess that’s something we all need to be aware of. I always thought it was solely based on high rank percentages compared to other creatives. My percentile took a nosedive last month in spite of being on the leaderboard. Yet, I can only recall being blocked maybe 2 or 3 times over the course of a year.

4 Likes

Hi. New here. Not sure how to go about this (never used forums before this), but your reply compels me to ask you my question, which is; what happens when there are no new contests coming in (remember I’m new and have yet to win a contest, and also have been getting that frowny faces from one contest)?
Please feel free to point me in a direction of relevant assistance if you’re not sure of the answer,

The forum is a great place to connect and get answers and insights. I just wanted to let you know that the blue button is a great and quick way to get answers on just about anything. When I first started I used it a lot and still use it when I need a quick answer. They are really helpful and understanding, even if it seems trivial they don’t seem to mind. (The blue button is down in the right bottom corner on most pages)

3 Likes

I didn’t know about this possibility. At least now I won’t be surprised if it happens. Thanks for the heads up!:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I got one a block shortly after I’d started on SH, after only one entry! I was so surprised and going forward I won’t submit any more entries to that CH, ever. So yes, I would like to see Blocks show up as a regular contest stat, the same way that the number of Loves, Likes, OTRT, NTY and Shortlists do. This is really only the fair way for creatives to assess if they’re going to spend time on a particular contest. I also definitely check the stats before entering, especially the one with 1500+ NYTs and no Loves or Likes. So I would love to know if a CH is a “blocker” or not.

13 Likes

Maybe SH should try and make it clearer to a creative when they have been blocked? I have just seen a contest where a creative didn’t know what the politely worded SH error message (" this CH has chosen to work with a smaller pool of creatives…" ) actually meant. They posted this as a query in the contest messages, and had to be publicly (gently) told by another creative in reply, that this meant they had been blocked. On the other hand, I was grateful to see this interchange of message & reply, as that creative was also blocked after only one entry. I just moved on to another contest and submitted no entries to this one…

9 Likes

I just received this message in a contest were i entered 19 nty, but considering that the CH had a 1000 entries and no Love or shortlist i asked for more advice to get on track and boom got blocked! Took it up with the Help Center and just got the answer it’s the same for every one and it will affect your over all percentage and that they will share my feedback with the team. According to the “Percentile Ranking Score” in the “helpdesk” section these are the rules that can affect your percentage score:
*Percentage of your total submitted entries that were liked or loved by contest holders

• Your overall contest wins
  • How often were you removed from the contest by CH *or not following the brief

So to me it’s clear that it’s not ok for a CH to block someone giving them a punishment of a lower procentage without reason yet this is exactly what is going on! Not happy with this!

10 Likes

Hi Arlenemary,
Happened to me too. After getting a like it for one of my ideas, I entered 8 more ideas, then I got blocked. Feels unfair.

5 Likes

Exactly, I personally would have done the same…

1 Like

Just happened again, after receiving 1 Like and 2 On Right Track boom blocked??? @Grant this practice of random blockages is not fair if it affects our percentage score! At least there should be an option for the CH to block without punish if they are feeling overwhelmed with entries! And if they block with punish at least it should require an explanation! It is tough as it is already to keep a high percentage and this practice really feels like a knife in the back when you are working hard to keep up.

15 Likes

Would love to see “Number of creatives blocked” listed under the “Contest stats.”

22 Likes

This will never be taken care of. CH’s can do whatever they want… :bone:
We should also be allowed to Block CH’s.

7 Likes

But… We are, just don’t participate contests…

1 Like

I would like some things to change regarding CHs.
For example, some CHs have thousands of dollars listed as contest awards, but when you open their profile you will find contests that were abandoned, cancelled, unawarded… Only awarded contests should be counted in their awarded sum.
Also, there should be some kind of verification other than email for CHs. LinkedIn profile is bare minimum that should be required.
Next, we should have a section where we can comment CHs and it should be a separate tab in a contest, next to “Brief, Entries, Messages…” There we can warn creatives if he has history of misconduct or give positive feedback when deserved. That section should only be available to TierA creatives in order to prevent outsiders from reading it.

14 Likes

Of course but, how will creatives know if the contest is held by a “blocker”? Once blocked, your percentage gets screwed. Are they ever hurt for being spoiled and superficial?
Best thing ever? Just stop for good.

3 Likes

Well at least inform the CH what a blockage means for the Creative’s and give an option to block without affecting the percentage! Personally i don’t have a problem with the CH having the right to block but it has to be with reason, reasons that SH should explain (give examples). The CH in return should have to explain this blockage if it is one that affects our ratings. If it is just to get less entries because they feel it’s to much use the option without affecting us! Making many of the top Creative’s loose the amount of entries because of misuse of this option of blocking is just bad business!

7 Likes