Need some help,please

Any of you who know about computers…would you know why my screen keeps going black off and on,please? It won’t do it for a bit…then it will go black like every 30 seconds. If I wiggle my mouse, it will often come back up…but sometimes I have to do it several times, or occasionally reboot.

Any ideas please? I am not computer savvy, and so can’t figure out what’s wrong.I checked my connections so that’s not it.Makes it hard to work on contests and such when the screen keeps going black.

Is it my monitor? My media card? Not sure what it is or how to fix it.

Thanks in advance!

PS (It went black while I was trying to type this…grrr!)

Is it a separate monitor?, from the cpu, if so it may simply be going… Do you have an extra monitor try that also more of a pain probably but most new tvs have a port to make the tv a monitor, most likely not a cpu problem though

2 Likes

Yes…it’s a desktop computer…I should have mentioned that…

1 Like

Check your display driver, may need to update, also check to see if you have any windows updates that have only been put as recommended and not mandatory. If both of these don’t work, check the cabling, and also your refresh rate for your screen. Its hard to tell you beyond this what to do unless you tell what kind of computer, os, laptop or destop, integrated screen or monitor, etc.

Hope this can help.

2 Likes

I would try a new monitor first though, then looks like rare might have better answers if it does involve updates etc… which is not my forte. I would tend to say its planned obsolescence

2 Likes

Yeah IF you have another monitor, if not – always best to check for possible updates.

3 Likes

Holly, oddly enough, I’ve been having similar issues with my laptop. I restart it periodically. To do that, you press “Alt” and F4. Hope something helps!

3 Likes

@hollygirl, Try google, or microsoft web site. I often just google the question to help me further pinpoint the problem, then go from there. Good luck.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone!

After I posted this the screen went black, and nothing I did would bring up the screen again.My hubby drove a two hour round trip to Walmart to get me a new monitor, as he knows I can’t do the contest if I don’t have a computer. What a great guy!

That was the problem,I guess… the other monitor just went out. It wasn’t really that old…maybe 2-3 years is all.But I don’t know how long they usually last. Like Seez said…I think they plan for them to fail after a couple of years.

Thanks for all your help!

5 Likes

Like everything nowadays unfortunately, built for short-term usability so you have to buy another, lol.

3 Likes

Sounds like your settings for monitor has the “sleep” mode saver screen on.
Its to save the monitor. Just need to go into the monitor settings, and you can take it totally off. Set for 30 secs. that must be a bummer.

1 Like

sorry not sure if my first reply went to you or someone else’s reply to you… Your monitor’s settings are set to "sleep"mode, which is just a saver for monitor usage. just go into its settings, and you can totally take off the sleep mode.

2 Likes

I win ))) 20 characters

2 Likes

Hollygirl, this problem can be after downloading the new version of the graphics card driver. If you have downloaded a new version of this driver recently, then go back to the version that was included to the set of your computer when you purchased it (version in the attached disk). To do this, download the driver from the attached disk.
If it helps, then return the new monitor to the store to save money and the environment :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It may be your mother signalling for you to call home.

4 Likes

You just need to turn down the brightness level a little bit and possibly the resolution. The capacitors inside your monitor aren’t able to fully charge to maintain power for everything that needs it. If you lower the brightness it should allow them to build enough charge and you’ll be good to turn it back up after a few minutes.

Or it could be your mom as already stated ^^

3 Likes