Name Submission Policy

For what it’s worth… I still think it’s a dumb rule with too many loopholes, but I guess that’s just me.

1 Like

Besides, not everyone reads the forums and the constantly updated rules, and without something in place to “catch” a name submission that was mentioned somewhere in the brief, a lot of creatives might have no idea they’re doing something wrong.

1 Like

@kreativekim - agree, the rule is dumb…and agree not everyone reads the forum…and agree too many loopholes. That rule should be rescinded.

3 Likes

I really don’t like to weigh in often in here but here is my .50 worth.
If a Creative says they like _ name, but isn’t sure, creatives enter 1400 names and they don’t like any of them - then someone is smart enough to either enter that _ name or just come up with it & the CH chooses it so what. It just is confirming to the CH that the name they first thought of is a good choice for them. Bottom line it is the CH who is paying, it’s the CH whose business we are coming up with names for so what they want is what they want. I think that restriction should be rescinded and let’s move on shall we.

3 Likes

Ok…here I am disagreeing again.If for only one point alone this should not be allowed, is that we tick a box every time we make name submissions saying that all our work is original…so when you are just feeding the CH their own name back to them…then you are breaking this rule and being untruthful.

I take this job seriously and don’t look at this as a game…and it aggravates me when I am busting my butt to try to come up with relevant names and putting tons of time and effort in…just to be beat out by someone who just regurgitates the CH’s names back to them. It’s unfair,I think unethical,and according to the rules taboo.

CH’s are paying to have names created…not to have validation of names they thought up themselves.If in the course of the contest they discover they don’t find a name they like in the contest as well as their own and ultimately decide to go with their own name, fine.

In that case… they should award the creative that came the closest with their own ideas, and then once the contest is closed…they are free to go with whatever name they like.One from here,or their own.

But I feel we should have the integrity as to not pass off someone else’s work as our own and get rewarded for it.

9 Likes

I have mixed feeling about this issue - If the CH awards the win to a Creative who merely entered a name he or she indicated that they “Liked” in the Brief, then I suppose “The customer is always right” principle applies (?)

And if that is the case, then as Creatives, we should be fully aware that it’s OK to submit names (or variations on them) that were mentioned in the Brief. :thought_balloon:

5 Likes

This is an important rule. It’s plagarism. It also opens up a ridiculous race to enter any name in the brief in hopes its picked because they couldn’t find a name they like. It shows absolutley no creativity and crowds the CH with names they’ve already considered when they are paying for fresh ideas.

They’re not paying for votes on their ideas or reassurance someone likes it.

There have been examples of people saying they won with a name in the brief because the CH liked their style the best. Okay…great, they could still pick you based off your style with your best entry in their opinion. It’s not like they can only award their favorite creative if they’ve submitted something exactly from the brief.

When you consider the true purpose of SH then submitting an exact name the client gives you completely defeats the purpose.

Why would anyone need to read a forum to understand the concept is to give the CH new ideas?

I’m sure some are going to say it’s too hard to make sure your name doesn’t match. It’s not…I do it all the time.

2 Likes

Right… So for this recent win… what’s SH going to do? “Oh, sorry CH, you can’t pick that name to win because you already said you liked it. Please pick another one you don’t like as much. Thanks.”

4 Likes

No, they can pick that entry. It’s bad news for the creative who has a responsibility not submit ideas given by the CH.

LOL - Don’t know if you were joking or not, but this made me Giggle :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Just to play devil’s advocate for a moment, the entry you’re talking about @kreativekim is in the Names We Like portion of the brief but not the body of the brief (despite there being names they like there).

Having recently had a CH update their Names We Like with my submission, maybe that happened in this case as well? I can’t remember what the brief looked like upon launch so I can’t be sure.

1 Like

Isnt there some kind of banned from entering penalty by doing so cant remember, Whether short or long term thought was the case from another thread

There is supposedly a risk of suspension if you do it if I recall.

3 Likes

We do have to keep in mind that there have been many CH’s who come here with names they are considering and are just giving us a shot to see if we come up with something they like better. So yes, sometimes, that is exactly what they are doing. Some have come and even asked our opinions on their names. They want to see if something better is out there, and after many contests they have said “I like the name I thought of better, Thank you all for your time and efforts.” When it’s not guaranteed…nobody gets anything…at least this way, the CH still likes the one closest to their own idea. If the CH picks it, that’s what they want. If SH picked it as an abandoned award, then it would be an issue.

5 Likes

That still is not the purpose of SH, and defeats having creatives put their time and effort into naming. I am sure SH was not created to sell CH’s back their own names.

I know there have been contests where the CH has gone ahead with their own name,but still chose the best name that was given to them that matched their brief/criteria. Even if the contest solidified their choice of their own name…they got a benefit still from doing the contest,if only to help them decide what they like… and owe it to the creatives to award the best name given.Not their own name a creative fed back to them.

On the flip side…I have seen many CH’s complain about people giving them the names/words verbatim from the brief and saying I could have done that myself…I’m not paying you for that,and getting upset. It totally bring down the legitimacy of this process,and I think to some extent is a cause for CH’s to abandon contests.

You actually brought up a point that if SH picked it…then it would be an issue.So why isn’t it an issue otherwise? It was not a name a creative came up with,so why should it be a legitimate entry,and they be paid for a name they did not create?

And that was my point…that they should pick a name closest to their own idea and brief…without it being their name.

The deck should not be stacked against people who are trying to follow the rules and give original names,instead of having a big race to which creative can beat everyone else and enter the CH’s own name(s) to win.

It totally invalidates the reason why we are here and working so hard.

Ok…over and out.

4 Likes

I’m with Holly. SH shouldn’t encourage creatives to compete who enters the names CHs mention in their briefs first. And losing to the contestant who did that feels ridiculous if you put time and effort into the contest.

4 Likes

I agree that people shouldn’t be jumping in to copy every name on the brief. I too come up with my own names, but if the CH chooses that name, it’s their money.

4 Likes

Since it’s become a trend lately, then by allowing it- it becomes a competition to enter mentioned names first. I agree that it’s the CHs money but letting 100 people waste time on a contest just to lose to whoever suggested the CH’s name first… feels wrong to me. I’d rather have the squadbot pick the winners.

It’s the last line you see before you submit an entry. I think there’s validity to both points of view. But that’s what the entry form says.

We have looked into the contest in more details and what happened was opposite of what is being discussed here. The contestant submitted the winning name on May 23, 10:43pm. The CH updated the “names we like” section on May 24, 08:13 am and added this particular name as an example along with few other names. So the only “wrong” thing that happened in this contest was that the creative’s name was added in the brief for everyone to see.

8 Likes