Marketplace pricing

I’ve very recently noticed that what used to be a sort of standard pricing (price controls on creatives) in the marketplace now seems to be way out of whack. As I check my names in their respective categories, I am seeing names over $2,000 that clearly are not higher in caliber than many (many) of the names we have submitted over time and are restricted to much lower pricing. In many cases, even if we want to raise our prices, we are limited to much lower than $2,000. I imagine this has happened as domainers have been moving their names over to Squadhelp and have not necessarily been subjected to the same limits as we have. Here’s the problem: this results in other names being pushed so far down in searches that they aren’t being seen - lost in a sea of our relegated $1199-$1499 category. As a buyer comes here to scroll through names, especially if they use the highest to lowest search tool, they never even reach the names that are in the mid-range.

I am not talking about real word .coms. I’m not even talking about “close to real word” .coms. I am talking about a lot of combos and blends and phrases, etc, that are equal in value, often using similar key words as others and some 5 letter domains that are often made up (not based on a word) while when we sub those, they are often not accepted at all. And this is premiums, not Basic Plus names.

So bottom line is that I am hoping Squadhelp will review marketplace pricing thoroughly, especially for new domainers bringing their portfolios here, against similar names in the marketplace and either raise prices on those similar names or restrict pricing more on new domainers. I understand they are coming here from other platforms that price higher than SH and that SH really wants them to come here, but just because someone is from someplace else, doesn’t mean their names have higher value. I am just looking for equal footing for everyone who has been here all along and may not have even noticed why their names are not being shortlisted anymore or rarely.

It’s also possible it is NOT new domainers coming here, so I don’t want to say it is just that. Either way, pricing needs to be balanced more…

Thanks for listening, AS ALWAYS, Squadhelp. Listening is the reason you are the best platform. If you search the marketplace as if you were a customer by categories, you are going to see exactly what I am talking about.

This happens on all marketplaces and there is usually a reason for it.

Here are some examples:

Keyworda.com is for sale at $1,499 and Keywordo.com is for sale at $3999. It’s understandable that the Namers think this is crazy. BUT it may be that Keyworda.com has 7,000 search results in Google, mostly spelling mistakes, very rare surnames etc, but Keywordo.com has 200,000 search results in Google and KeywordoConstruction, KeywordoConsulting, KeywordoServices and KeywordoLegal all exist. The domainer has the opportunity of listing Keywordo.com at a better price and wait for it to be found or to email those potential targets and point them to the for sale page as well as entering contests.

Some Domainers spend all day every day reading every bit of new tech news available. Imagine this being 15 years ago… Crypt.com (a real word) and Crypto.com (this word doesn’t exist yet and looks like a brandable twist on Crypt). If the tech watching Domainer listed Crypt.com at $50,000 and Crypto.com at $1,000,000 the Namers would have laughed! Fast forward 15 years to today and now it makes sense.

There are 100s of other examples but you get the picture.

There is a benefit for the Namer too, if a Namer owns Keyworda.com and a Domainer owns Keywordo.com, Keyworda.com is more likely to sell to a SH Contest Holder simply because it’s cheaper.

I’m just pointing out that many Domainers don’t buy a name because they like them, there is a difference between Namers and Domainers. It seems SH understands this too.

I hope this helps.

@Grant, @AbleBrands, @Commulinks: I’m confused by the pricing to. I understand your explanation @AbleBrands, but what I don’t understand is how it is possible for some names to be sold for $125,000.00 or $9,000.00 or $5,000 when it was my understanding that we were/are subject to the same price constraints??? Like as in not to exceed $1,7000??? Can someone explain that, did I miss something somewhere. Thanks.

Premium names can be any price. Basic and Basic Plus are restricted to $1,700.

yes now kind of declining momentum.

I appreciate your explanation, @AbleBrands. That really isn’t what I am talking about. I do understand that some domains are worth more than others and especially the examples you gave. I am going to leave this at that because otherwise I would have to give specific examples from the marketplace. So my request to SH still stands…

There are some names that seem overpriced. And since names Squadhelp registers on our behalf tend to all be priced very similarly, the chance of discovery in that particular price range does seem to be a problem.

Hello,

Thank you for this feedback. The concern about Marketplace Pricing has been noted. Pricing is an important aspect of the Marketplace, and as such, we continue to apply our learnings and enhance our models.

It is important to understand that the pricing of each domain is based on trends, sales stats, and other factors at the time of the submission of each domain. Aligning domain pricing with current information is important for the overall success of the marketplace, but it can result in similar domains, submitted at different times, listed in different price brackets, from time to time.

Also, despite the fact that some domainers might be bringing their domains from other marketplaces, we apply our own pricing philosophy. We usually approve names at a different price than the current listed price on the other marketplaces.

We do our best to provide consistent and data-driven pricing. Still, we will continue working to improve this aspect of the Marketplace.

Thanks Grant, that’s all I ask! I appreciate the response. Sometimes we notice things that maybe aren’t noticed because you are juggling so many. If you go into the marketplace and pretend to be a customer… you will see what I mean.

Also will Sh reject some of names which provide by the domainer? or simply accept all 200 domain names? cause sometimes SH reject creative names, i wonder if SH also will reject some of domainer name which may not compatible with SH marketplace. thank u

I’ve had 500+ of my owned domains rejected.

Thank you @grant, for pointing out all the variables that go into the pricing aspects of the market place. I know I for one, was not immediately taking all of those things into account. So thank you again, for the reminder, bringing it to our attention, ect.

Thanks for the reminder, @AbleBrands. I’m a newb at buying my own domains, and forgot there may be a different price point for squadhelp owned domains in the Premium Market Place vs. say Basic Plus and Basic. Thanks so much for all of the helpful information over the past year especially regarding domain buying and for sharing your extensive knowledge and skill with the rest of us. You are amazing, honestly. Are you sure you are not a robot??? LOL. May need to start giving you those car and stop sign tests just to be sure. LOL Thanks again! My guess is you have been doing this a long, long time, spend endless hours everyday at it, and are incredibly skilled at what you do. Best Regards~

That’s ever so sweet of you to say @Kral I genuinely don’t mind helping anyone that needs assistance :slight_smile:

It shows.:sunglasses:

@Grant, I would like to ask SH to let us increase our prices by adding more options on the dropdowns. i.e.: I see a name extremely similar to one of mine that is priced at $2499 compared to mine at $1399. But I cannot increase it to compete with that name because the most I can go on my name is $1699. I should have the ability to do that without having to ask the team to add more prices for mine. I keep seeing this over and over and even though SH raises some prices sometimes, I do not have the ability to make the judgments I need to make. I feel now like I am losing money. I’m pretty frustrated by this.

I agree with you. Some of my premium domains are limited to $1599, which is cheaper than the maximum price for Basic Listing Pro (up to $ 1799). Unfortunately, accessing the blue button did not solve my problem.

Yes, same here. AND! When SH increases price and shortlists stop because of it, we cannot lower it back to where it was before. For example, SH increases price from 1699 to 1999 and you go to lower it back, the highest available is 1599. This is really making me mad, to be honest!

I believe that the SH team listens to us and will solve this problem.

@Commulinks @Edukar

We have addressed similar comments in this reply.

It is important to understand that the pricing of each domain is based on trends, sales stats, and other factors at the time of the submission of each domain. Aligning domain pricing with current information is important for the overall success of the marketplace, but it can result in similar domains, submitted at different times, listed in different price brackets, from time to time … We do our best to provide consistent and data-driven pricing. Still, we will continue working to improve this aspect of the Marketplace.

At this time, we do give Creatives some control over the pricing of domains within their portfolio. However, we will continue to manage overall domain pricing based on our learning and strategies in order to maximize sell-through and time-to-sale rates.