Is anyone else frustrated by being on the 80 rating cusp?

One day I get a top 25 congrats for the month and am rated at 82. Then the next day my rating goes just under 80 and I have to wait 2 hours to put in an entry ( unless I want to use my points). I wish that SH would combine the CH ratings and the realtity ones based on your contests won! Jut a bit frustrated…

3 Likes

I feel your frustration the more high ratings I receive the lower my percentage drops (I am still :neutral_face:) about that. Anyhow I learned to just be patient and let the clock run down. Gives me time to hone in on the briefings. Saves my points as well and lesser chance of:( .Take it in stride, clear your mind and keep the good names flowing!! They say good things come to those who wait :grinning::grinning:

3 Likes

Thanks for the good advice Marye5…It’s just weird when you are on the 70 or 80 line and it changes how you submit from day to day! I need to have more patience and maybe then I will go back up over the 80 mark!

2 Likes

If you guys saw my post on another thread, you know that I share your frustration. I’ve been getting the same messages all day.
What I personally wish is that Squadhelp would change the submission algorithm to reflect BOTH recent performance and performance over time. I don’t think a creative should be able to rest of the laurels of his or her past performance forever. However, it seems to me that it should count for something. I’ve been a Squadhelp creative for slightly more than 3 1/2 years. It’s definitely frustrating when someone who joined in late 2016 or even 2017 can submit more entries than I can. I definitely share Cabotco’s point of view on this (and yours too, MaryE.) The site seems to experiencing many changes right now. Maybe this is an idea SH could think about.

4 Likes

I find the whole thing to be stifling. On one hand, working with less does have a tendency to cause one to become more creative. However, since the work we do is so subject to the other’s (CH’s) taste or preference, I see it more of a hinderance than a help.

***I would love to see SH continue giving points for like and love it’s, but do away with point reduction for No Thank You. Just my humble opinion, but I stand by it.~

3 Likes

Thanks, Kral…you have consistently done excellent work over the three years. I think what I was trying to say is that lots and lots of well-written contest briefs would result in lots and lots of good options. But some briefs are too vague and don’t tell a story. Here’s where I think SH could step in with some editing and/or advice. Also, the kind of CH feedback matters. The CHs who give us specific direction are far more helpful than those who keep posting to praise us and remind us how many hours are left until the contest ends.

4 Likes

I have also noticed that many brand new creatives are in the high 90’s despite never having won a contest. I think being downgraded for unhappy smiley faces stifles creativity. I like to enter 5-7 different types of names on average but will now probably drop to 2 or 3 entries - at least to start. And of course at a 79 rating I have to wait 2 hours to put in entries. I wonder why the 2 rating scores can’t be combined? Many contests only have a a few potential great names and those are taken at the two hour mark.Thanks for responding- it helps to know I am not the only one feeling frustrated by the rating system…it’s limitations mainly effect those of us under the 70 or 80 cusp.

2 Likes

Hey you guys I Jwayne88 (Justin to my mama) I’m from Louisiana, yes that Louisiana! I just started doing this a week r so ago, I never even heard of no concept like this before. I have won 2 contests so far and am currently shortlisted on a few more contests that are finalizing I’m top a trending creative in 4 other contests and my rating is 87%. Is that good or just beginner’s luck? Can I quit my day job now?? Anyway…I love this squadhelp whatchamicallit

3 Likes

Welcome to SH @JWayne88!

That’s a great start! I too started fantastically, then I had a bit of lean spell but stuck with it and it all picked up again. I wouldn’t worry if you have bad patches, just keep plugging away.

Unfortunately, giving up your day job is probably not an option :anguished: But buying yourself a few extra treats this year probably is!

2 Likes

HI JWayne88-
A lot has changed since that comment I made ( it no longer applies) and now you need to be a Tier A Creative to get fully into contests. It seems to be a good system in place now and not penalizing those that put in a lot of entries as much as in the past. Congrats to your great start- it’s very exciting when you get your first WIN :smile: I don’t think I had one for about 6 weeks after I started. It does come in waves-- your get several wins and then nothing for 3 weeks… You have to be persistent. And it’s fun-- so why not keep at it!

5 Likes

I keep it above the 80 cusp, but I get frustrated because I’m always a brides maid and never a bride. :-/ I think I’ve had one win (CH pick) since I started doing this.

2 Likes

Are they still using point to submit entries?

Yeah they made me a Tier A a few weeks ago and gave me said I had 97% rank or something. I just hadn’t quit my day job and have been super busy so haven’t done anything in a minute. My creativity come’s in loud short bursts. A regular job and ■■■■ has a way of draining any creative juice people may have. But It will rain 4 a week or two again and I will have plenty of free time to create

I think the best thing you can do is to study names that win-- they seem to be either fairly straight forward with 2 words - or funny mash ups ( which are hard to come up with)… The blank & blank names are popular with the more trendy and retail businesses. Coming at a contest from a couple of angles will help as well-- a name that is fun and then one that is serious to see which one does better. I tend to be prolific which tends to up my odds in winning- but lowers my ratings. You have to have to enjoy coming up with names- and then win occasionally or it is not worth your time…I hope you stay with it!

5 Likes