.io and .co domains in the marketplace?

I wasn’t aware that SH was now accepting these domain extensions for the marketplace and now I see a bunch of them. We were always told “no” on those… I wish I had known. Squadhelp, please let us know when you begin allowing things like this. I’ve lost a bunch of the ones I had now.

I agree with @Commulinks, I wish that we could be informed when major changes like this are made. I find it very challenging to keep up with all the constant changes, but an update message or message center outlining new changes that seem to happen weekly if not daily would be a courtesy that I sure would appreciate.

I personally think the other extension domains in SHs marketplace are way overpriced and it will be interesting to see if many sell (I’m sure some will if the right person comes along).

I don’t want to put anyone off buying other extensions, if that’s your thing, but if any newbies to other extensions are thinking about this then please take note of the prices of recent sales.

This is a list of the last 25 recorded .io domain sales:

mtb.io 245 USD 26/02/2019
projection.io 114 USD 26/02/2019
occasion.io 655 USD 25/02/2019
boxoffice.io 215 USD 25/02/2019
foundations.io 340 USD 23/02/2019
founders.io 2,210 USD 22/02/2019
reclaim.io 555 USD 22/02/2019
cubed.io 181 USD 22/02/2019
liked.io 156 USD 22/02/2019
interbank.io 755 USD 21/02/2019
mathematics.io 480 USD 21/02/2019
netabare.io 335 USD 21/02/2019
tpx.io 184 USD 21/02/2019
mileage.io 104 USD 21/02/2019
pds.io 484 USD 20/02/2019
kab.io 180 USD 20/02/2019
transformer.io 140 USD 20/02/2019
211.io 133 USD 20/02/2019
billing.io 7,950 USD 18/02/2019
biohacking.io 885 USD 18/02/2019
destination.io 582 USD 18/02/2019
lug.io 114 USD 18/02/2019
pon.io 189 USD 17/02/2019
securecard.io 129 USD 17/02/2019
photograph.io 200 USD 15/02/2019

The first thing to note is that there have only been 25 sales in the last 10 days. That’s the whole of the internet that reports sales (not SH). The next thing to notice are the prices.

You can find this information (and for other extensions) here: https://namebio.com/
change the extension to whatever you want and click on the search button.

If you remember that .com is king (99.999% of my portfolio is .com), and country codes are next (.com.au, .co.uk, .de etc) then you won’t go far wrong.

Good luck!

Thank you all for your feedback! Our position continues to be unchanged regarding non .com extensions (such as .io and .co). While our acceptance rate for .com domains is about 8%, the acceptance rate for non .com extensions is about 1%. When we accept non .com extensions, they are primarily real english/dictionary words.

If you are submitting names that are still available for hand registration, or those that were recently registered, it is highly unlikely that they will meet our acceptance criteria for such extensions. Even if you are investing in such domains, the likelihood of acceptance for a non .com extension is about 8 times less than a .com extension.

I don’t invest in .io because they’re too expensive and the renewal is too expensive. Popular commercial dictionary words (especially ones that can be applied to tech) and very short ones are the way to go if investing in .io. A couple of days ago a. io sold at SH for $2XXX and personally I think it was underpriced since it’s one of the best insurance related words in existence. @ablebrands’s advice is the way to go for most domainers who want to profit, though I think the namebio stats can be somewhat misleading in this case since most .io action comes from park.io where these domains are bought for $XXX by domainers. End user sales are usually in the $XXXX range for the good ones and there are supposed to be plenty of unreported ones.

I think SH should definitely keep the number of the non .com in the marketplace low because from a client perspective, when they see names while browsing they expect them to be .com. .com is the standard and what most companies want. If I’m a company who’s looking for a .com and I’m browsing through the marketplace and keep seeing listings of names that I might want only to discover when checking out the actual listings that they’re in another extension that would personally annoy me and be obstructive to my search since I’d never be able to know while browsing which domains I should check out and which ones aren’t relevant.

This has been a awesome discussion and I really appreciate the responses. Thanks also to @Grant for being so clear. Extremely helpful.

Only chiming in to add a concurring opinion that I hope may add to the discussion in a small way.

Not for nothing, and this is my own opinion and arises out of my own experience in the domain industry, but I would respectfully disagree with regard to the pecking order as described.

In my experience, yes, .com is king. Totally agree thats where the value is. However, the second tier for me is not country codes/cctlds. I would posit that after .com, the next in line are .org & .net domains (and arguably even .io as of the past few years), and then your .co.uk and .com.au & .de domains fall in after.

Once you’re dealing with the specific cctlds, your potential end user pool is now limited to what effectively amounts to the population of said country, so to speak. So in my view, value is limited to somewhat of a ceiling as a result for those extensions.

However your .org and .net domains have worldwide appeal, recogition, and inherent authority – which makes them more valuable as they are likely to appeal to a larger pool of potential end users.

Just wanted to add my $0.02 regarding the pecking order and to mention .org and .net. As AbleBrands pointed out, .com is king and should make up the overwhelming majority of any portfolio, that is gospel, for sure.

Cheers :wink: