I know the new system is supposed to stop similar names but

it seems to have gone too far - its difficult to enter names that begin the same now .I thought the idea was to stop plurals and such like.

Im trying to do a word beginning with Advent for one of the contests but finding it impossible as it says someone entered every word even if I try something really odd

6 Likes

Based on my observations, under current prevailing conditions itā€™d be possible to enter a word ā€˜adventā€™ followed by ā€˜adventorā€™,for example., However youā€™d be prevented from doing the same operation in the reverse order.

I cant do advent anything unless its very long

Are you able to do it now ?

@Jose, we have received similar feedback from few other users as well, and we agree that it needs to be less restrictive. We will work on modifying the similar name check algorithm.

7 Likes

I have had that happen on two contests in the last week, especially when a CH says they want a word used, such as the symbian contest. By the time I read the brief, I pretty much couldnā€™t enter Symbian anything!

3 Likes

Yes, pleaseā€¦it is waaaaay overboard.

Especially on like the Dive contest where he wants HYDROā€¦ you know darn well all the names we are entering are not already submitted, some yes, but itā€™s blocking almost everything. Opposite of trying to give the contest holder what they want.

2 Likes

I have a feeling in there somewhere is a rabbit hole.

I feel just blocking plurals would be enough - I wanted to add an ā€¦ed to one of my own entries to make it better and was blocked by myself

1 Like

lol thatā€™s happened to me too. I think ā€œdang itā€, someoneā€™s already submitted something similarā€¦oh yeah, it was me! :slight_smile:

Update: We have changed the algorithm, and made it less restrictive. It should now allow you to submit most variations, unless it is very similar (e.g. plurals, extra spaces etc).

2 Likes