How Would You Improve The Site? (Cont'd)

@Edukar :grinning:
Can I agree with you 100 % ?
Kudos!

6 Likes

Clinks, my dear … you and I are definitely in the same boat. But you’ve at least seemingly got the hang of this whole marketplace and domaining thing. I feel I’m just spinning my wheels. I submit ideas that seem like they’re along the lines of what SH will accept and want because they’ve accepted and taken others along the same context or formula but nope. I don’t get it. Probably never will. The dozen names I have managed to convince SH to nab are aging now and they were my early submissions so not the greatest of ideas – although people are really loving to submit them to contests. But I’ve had other good ideas … even great ones … but then I just shrug it off. If I can’t get SH to accept most of my good names, they may not my great ones and just like contests … it’s a lot of time and effort just to have no luck.

But, I’m not going to give up. I took some time off due to health issues again and I used that time to do a lot of research and studying and learning things specifically about domaining and what 2020!!! trends are and even what will probably be trends for 2021. So … if this doesn’t prove out … then I’ll take it with a grain of salt and realize things. Just probably try to divvy more into contests as I can, hopefully.

6 Likes

Hello! I want to touch on the topic of contests with a non-guaranteed prize - and share the wise, in my opinion, experience of one of the largest Russian naming sites. The following rule works perfectly on this site: “A project without guarantees is one in which, at the end of the tender period, the customer can return the money if he did not like the names. This, however, is only possible if the customer himself took an active part: commented on the decisions and put a rating. " On the page of such contests there is a special round scale that determines the degree of activity of the customer during the competition - how actively he evaluates the work, answers the questions of the contestants and so on. A special algorithm has been developed for these calculations. The percentage of customer activity is updated in real time, and if this percentage is low, a warning message appears next to the scale: “Money cannot be returned.” This means that the customer should be more interested in the project, otherwise the prize amount will not be returned to him, and the fee will be divided between the participants at the discretion of the site administration. I consider this rule to be wise and fair in all respects. Thanks for attention.

19 Likes

I have increasingly noticed new creatives posting in messages to contest holders that they are not allowed to participate in contest. They will go on to suggest one of their own names. This is NOT allowed! I have reported this twice already . New creatives need abide by the rules just as we do.

17 Likes

It is common sense that if you can’t participate a contest you can’t comment on it… I don’t know why that is not the case.

9 Likes

I just saw a FB ad for Sh where over half of the emojis were laughing and the comments are filled with basically do nothing and win money. This is extremely disturbing to me. To improve SH, we have to make it more serious and reign in this “make money for doing nothing” stuff.

19 Likes

Unfortunately, the only way to stop that is to remove the affiliate program.

3 Likes

With recent changes and SH coins purchase it became “Make nothing and spend money” for me :smiley:

5 Likes

There is a delay with the logo redesign. I’ve paid for 1 /more than 2 weeks ago/, and there is no new logo yet. You have to speed-up the logo creation process.

2 Likes

Hello @november
As a fellow designer/logo designer in this great community and an approved domain logo designer with over 80 domains designed in less than a week, We are currently working hard on designs for new domains and definitely your domain(s) would have a logo in no time because domains without logos are assigned to creative designers like me. So rest assured, a design for your domain would be up in no time, thank you. :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::grinning:

7 Likes

Well first of all,I ve been posting names for marketplace for a long time and none of them approved?I dont understand,it doesnt even make sense not even 1 name approved.You guys all the time telling me it doesnt match well I dont think so.I usually post unregistered domains maybe thats why? But those name I ve been posting are unique.Your team rejecets automatically I guess.There is no other explanation.

1 Like

I would like it if lifestyle images could be purchased with points, instead of exclusively with SH coins. Even if it had to be a large amount of points (like the 2000 required for a superboost) I would see that as an improvement. I don’t understand why lifestyle images have to be strictly pay-to-play, since the images make marketing names easier for creatives who work hard sharing their portfolio on social media. Alternatively, if there was a way to earn SH coins, such as through a specific number of views we bring to the site, that would also be a welcome change.

11 Likes

@grant I’d like to see the affiliate program changed. Make it clearer that we receive nothing for bringing in more creatives (we’ve enough of those) and increase the reward to bring in more buyers.

And provide resources. Website banners, visual social media ads etc. All aimed at someone looking for a company name or logo.

At the moment we get $30 if someone buys a domain that we promote offsite, yet if we promote a domain onsite (by submitting it to a contest) we get a minimum of $100. Whilst I appreciate that $30 is a lot for some, the majority are unlikely to promote marketplace names offsite for a chance at $30.

If you were to make it a big deal… “Make $100 for finding a buyer for ANY and EVERY domain in our marketplace”… This will hopefully make those unrealistic YouTube “make a ker-trillion dollers in 10 minutes listing names” promoters change tactic to something useful!

Thanks.

8 Likes

@grant

If possible, in our back office, could ‘sold names’ be names that have sold that are not complete, and ‘transfer complete’ be names that are names that are totally complete.

Thanks for your consideration.

3 Likes

I love this idea, especially considering that this just happened to me just this minute. Congrats to whomever just sold a domain that I promoted!

8 Likes

I’m personally getting rejected more. Now than what I was. My approval rate was actually above sh average and that’s not saying anything since I barely get approved as it is. But to me, it’s not making much sense. I’ve submitted on point domain ideas for review and they ones that meet several criteria of current trend of domains in industry. Still rejected and yet sh has others that are very similar styles. Styles not words themselves. I don’t know. I have 18 names and most of those are going to age out. When that happens I may throw in the towel. @AbleBrands has already identified one problem and it’s the same problem I’ve identified with audience testing. If you’re not going to allow descriptions to be of consideration then all of sh across the board should stop allowing for descriptions. No, that’s not what any of us want and need. One of the reasons that sh is so high bar compared to all the others that can be listed off as competition … Most of us have been there
… is there is descriptions allowed which allow for more creative names that most people would not originally think of. So many times context matters. Sh has told me that when you look at most brand names you don’t get a description with them. Wrong. You have a logo, the style, what the brand is known for, the colors, the imagery, the style of product, etc. That all provides description too, as does past history of that brand. Rarely are you ever getting just a black and white word that you have to figure out. Even with new brands and businesses. So descriptions matter. Sooner or later, which it’s already happening, brands and businesses are going to have some names that are not real words and are creative. The history behind that word then has to be detailed out in branding and company story. A description helps this be seen when there is no other imagery and sensory information yet. But, that’s just my opinion.

3 Likes

My percentage of approvals has improved by 4%. So all in all, around the same as usual, slightly more approvals.

Can you show examples?

Only someone undernad would do that. Given that there are 20ish reviewers, those being underhand would stand out like a sore thumb.

As a reviewer, I’m offended that you would suggest that I and my fellow reviewers (of which there are approx 20) would abuse the system. It’s not possible anyway. We’ve been warned that if we get a low review score our status as reviewer will cease.

The system is actually designed to encourage acceptances. The rewards are points on acceptance of a name and a token cash amount if the domain sells. I would suggest this probably encourages some reviewers to accept more names, not less.

You would be surprised at the utter crud that gets submitted, so good names do stand out.

I can’t speak for any of the other reviewers (I don’t know who any of them are) but when I’m reviewing, I google every name and I check if the domain is a word in another language in google translate. I approve names that I think are likely to sell.

Rather than provide names that I wouldn’t accept (don’t you just hate it when CHs do that?) I’ve tried to provide names below that I would accept. I’ve used my names as an example where I can, this is not an opportunity for anyone to pull apart my names :slight_smile: I hope this helps someone, but be aware, this is only me, not the other reviewers, who probably have their own set of criteria.

Names I am less likely to accept:
Names over 10 letters.
Non-.com.
Plurals.
Two word names where the last letter of the first word is the same as the first letter of the second word.

Names I am most likely to accept:
Keyword-suffix. (Vantous Delivoo)
Alliterative names. (ChiveHive NestZest)
Alliterative first letter. (FocusFar TipsyTonic)
Blends. (Thriviva Trusade)
One word spellers. (Sharxe Stryct)
Real word any language (Mellivora Concavus)
Anagrams. (Rytzi)
Any name that instantly conjures up an image in your head (Voltstone Lunamoo)
Uplifting. (ClimbLevel Spurwell)
Clever blends (eg Vim and Vitality - Vimality)
High search term non-.com extension (Deluxe ly)
Humor. (UrbanChowboy GoggleEyed)
Short visually stunning. (Mamama Lululu)
Any 4 letter (whether it sounds like a word or not, anagrams are popular and all 4 letters are taken)
Any .com name where there is an existing largish company using another extension.

This criteria is not set in stone for me, there are other names I will approve too, just because I like them or they rolls off of the tongue easily. My only issue, I’d like to see descriptions, perhaps there is a reason someone submitted a name that I haven’t grasped, but as @grant says, there is an option to request a review for that.

Hope this helps and puts an end to your conspiracy theories.

Thanks

7 Likes

I don’t agree. SH have made it clear that anyone that steps outside of an acceptable approval rate is going to get slapped. Quite rightly so. I take my responsibility very seriously, if SH is successful, I am successful.

A conflict of interest can only be achieved by one or two people being able to game the system. 20+ unrelated people from different walks of life, with different views, who speak different languages, and who don’t know who the others are, are unable to game the system.

Successful domainers are honest and work very very hard to achieve results. You shouldn’t judge everyone by your own standards.

Edit: Edited as requested.

5 Likes

I’m suggesting that accusing people of being underhand, unethical or abusive of a system is not fair. And pointing out that anyone that would do that would be easily identified and removed from the system.

2 Likes

To be fair, I’ve seen how @AbleBrands does her domaining and she has been very helpful to all of us since the marketplace opened. Many of us wouldn’t know as much as we do about domaining if it weren’t for her and others like her. I trust that she is fair and that the other reviewers would be as well. I know that I would be. Not only that but I have seen the standards that SH upholds towards breaking rules around here as it is and the consequences that they inflict for such. So my criticism is not of the reviewers at all it’s the process and that we don’t always know how ideas are created. How many average people know the meaning of Nike unless they research it? How many people know the meaning of google? You know … google’s formulation under alphabet taught people that GOOGLE actually is something to learn. It’s a number. Did many people know that before it? No. Some brands have things to teach with their styles and words used and without imagery … a black and white word without a description can be easily rejected. These reviewers, as able has described have to sometimes do research where they would not have to if descriptions were allowed.

6 Likes