How Would You Improve The Site? (Cont'd)

Something I’ve been noticing with newer users is that when they can’t submit a name they’re posting it in the comment section asking the contest holder what they think of the name. There should be some sort of mechanism that says if you’re not eligible for a contest you can’t post in the comment section.

Grant has already written that this issue has been resolved. Now access to comments for beginners will be closed. They will be allowed to write comments after a single win or a series of victories.

I’m not sure if that is the solution, as I think it’s not transparent enough. I think it will be better if SH can do something different. This public message might be of help to the new comers as well

I disagree with You and support the decision of the team. The right to vote must be earned. Any detractor can register on the site and insult the customer in the comments. Restrictions are necessary.

The way I understand it is newcomers can see the comments , just not able to make comments, though I could be wrong. **

Our customers discover marketplace domains in several ways:

• By scrolling through Marketplace listings
  • By searching for specific keywords
  • By selecting filters for specific industries, name styles, length etc
  • By seeing automatic recommendations for relevant names based upon their browsing behavior
  • By using our AI Powered Visual Domain Search (which shoes specific recommendations based upon their preferences)
  • By seeing specific name recommendations in Facebook, Google and several other display channels (as a result of our paid marketing)
  • By getting contest submissions for Marketplace domains
  • By browsing through our Name examples section
  • By having a one-on-one branding consultation with our team

Most importantly, when a discount is added on a name, previous visitors who had shown an interest in that name are notified via email.

We do not expect most customers to scroll past few hundred names on the main marketplace page. There are several other mechanisms (such as above) in place for customers to discover names based upon their specific requirements.

How to improve the site? Stop taking 10% off of every winning entry for the sake of transfering the award to us. What CH is paying for us to get, we should get it, because not only they are paying for the award but also for everything from launching the contest to managing it with SH and so on. Our creativity & engagment should be only pieces that we put to grow the platform. All the monetary profit should come from CH’s + Marketplace + ads.

I guess the 10% charge is for the site maintenance, however, if it can be reduce to 5% will be great @grant

You mean “maintenance”, right?:slight_smile: Who should pay for that: we or CH’s?:slight_smile:

I believe it was mentioned before and someone explained it was tax deduction, I am not from US so I don’t know how it works, just remember reading something about it on this forum.

The 10% fee is not about taxes or maintenance.
This administration fee covers the cost of Squadhelps payment escrow as well as processing of payment transactions (initially from the contest holder and then to the winner).

Well, still, to be honest, I don’t know why we should be charged with that. Maybe the option should be like this: Every CH has a PayPal account. We have a PayPal account. When CH creates a contest, She/He agrees to the terms of the platform (let’s say they have max 30 days to select the winner) and then transfer the money directly from their PayPal account to our PayPal account. And SH should only step in if for some reason CH didn’t pay.

There has to be an intermediary. Absolutely. Even if it costs me 10%.

That’s just an idea. But do you think, they way the things are right now, that it should stay like that or would you like to change that process in any way?

Well, I have always felt the cost of transferring the prize should be something the CH pays, not us. But since there is no sort of membership fee to participate here, I’m pretty resigned to the current system. The issue has been raised before, and Squadhelp has never budged.

Not trying to bite off your words but we pay the membership fee with every win. Because at the beginning, it’s not a big deal, it’s just 10%, right? But after a while, when you’re winning, it’s not just 10% - it’s a pretty serious money.

Yeah, but if you never win, you never pay, so it’s not quite the same. I’ve been participating for almost 2 years, so I do understand what you mean, though. It adds up. Best not to dwell on it, I think.

I think if they wanted to really get into what the escrow fees and PayPal/Pioneer fees amount to… It might just be more than 10%.
As far as the CH paying the creative directly…bad idea. Where would the recourse be? Right now the money is collected up front and put into escrow until a winner is chosen . What would happen with all the abandoned contests? No more splits. A guaranteed contest would be meaningless because you would have to wait until the CH decides to pay you. Just my two cents worth

I look at the 10% I pay as my stake in Squadhelp. They created this place and that is what I pay for being able to use it. I do not think that is unreasonable. They offer me a great service. I’ve made substantial money here as a result of their work. Sure, I’d love it if it were less money, who wouldn’t? But they didn’t create this site as a free place for anyone. They are intermediaries, too. Every site that offers all kinds of freelancing charges the freelancers and a lot do it the same way.

Well CH does not just pay for our prize, for example if contest award is $100 price is $199, so SH gets $99, and I think that’s fair, it is one of the best platforms in the field. But I was sure 10% deduction had some better explanation… Still, it’s always our choice to be a part of it or not :slight_smile: