How many entries is enough per person?

I think its ridiculous that we can enter so many names surely a limit should be introduced to include names that we enter and delete- hundreds of names per person is just too much and the people that only do a select few often get over-looked because there are just too many

4 Likes

I’ll gladly accept as many entries as I’m allowed to submit. I can’t remember where the percentage cutoff was, though, if a contestant doesn’t place in the top 25 winners. What were those cutoff points again? Thanks.
I also expect that all contestants are being given the same general information needed to succeed in contests. I certainly would not want and do not expect submissions to be shared with the SH contestant community. However, some of the recent winners look quite different from what I would have expected, given the details in the brief. It’s fine if a CH helps someone edit an entry, but general parameters should be shared with everyone. Thanks again.

6 Likes

I think there should be a cap to how many entries each contestant can submit in total, withdraws and earned entries included.

4 Likes

when you consider a lot of naming sites only allow three entries :wink: but thats going to another extreme

1 Like

Hi everyone, thanks for the feedback. We will keep this thread open for some time, and if there is a general consensus that there should be an overall cap on total entries per contest (including the withdrawn entries), we will implement it.

4 Likes

@Dan

I think the submitted name limit is a good idea, because the CH might give up when bombarded with 1000 submitted names. However, I would be ruined if withdrawn names would count towards my name limit…

Sometimes the CHs change direction, and perhaps the limit could be adjusted in those cases. I won’t speak for everyone, but I think the general concern is contestants who as Lorin said, are “bombarding” the CHs.

4 Likes

hardly ruined if the limit was fixed at say 50 total names :wink: rather than unlimited names as it is at the moment

1 Like

I don’t mind how the Multi Namers work because that’s what brings them success, That said and as said above at some point there should be a cutoff if you cant get a rating above 3 star in X amount of entries. what that number is I’m not sure. I also see AuntShommys point and a possible solution could be is That if the CH edits the brief it would reset the “counter” on names. this will take extra thought because some successful and very good Namers (not naming names) name in this fashion. Offhand could I have used Name(s)(ing) more in one sentence.

5 Likes

I have noticed on other namesites they will limit the entries because the client gets overwhelmed with the amount of names and they leave. So I agree there needs to be a cap. But that being said it needs to be made clear to the client that if they really don’t like a name they can delete it and we can still enter to take the place of the deleted name.
I think the proportions of entries are badly unfair right now. I have won contests in the past yet I am limited to only 10 entries. Whereas I notice some members can enter as many as 200. So there needs to be some kind of balance.
I will never just enter names willy nilly to get tons of names in there, most of the time I rarely use my full 10. But I do make sure I give them the best towards what the brief is asking for. So I also agree with Aunti on the changing of direction on the briefs.

4 Likes

The ultimate goal is to find a name the CH loves. I for one have submitted many names that have received 2 stars in which I have kept adjusting and resubmitting to go on to a win. A win for me and a win for the CH. Not sure there should be a limit but an easy way for the CH to sort and hide names they don’t want without penalty to us. It should be their decision if they want a limit on submitted names. Just my humble opinion! Although I will say I don’t think I have ever used my allotted limit except in one case and YES, I won that one!

I would like to see a limit implemented on names that can be submitted either at one time or by one person (excluding withdrawn names) as well. Lately my names don’t even get viewed by the client and I suspect it’s because they’re overwhelmed by the total amount they have to view.

I actually thought the other day that maybe a way around having clients become overwhelmed would be to break down the release of names to them. Give them a certain amount of suggestions at a time, then “hold” other names until the first batch is viewed/rated/sorted by the client. I don’t know if it would work, though.

1 Like

people are submitting their full quota then messaging the chs for feedback etc , which puts everyone elses names to the back of the queue

2 Likes

I agree, 200 names seems too excessive, but maybe that is what gives people leverage. Like LorinRyle, I don’t often use my 10 entry limit. If I get say five 2’s I usually just leave that competition alone, unless the CH edits the brief to generate clearer ideas, in which case I have gone from 2’s to 4’s. I think even 50 entries would be a better limit, although I can’t even imagine using that many.

Jose, I do also wonder how many of the contest winners are actually having personal messaging back and forth. Again a feature I don’t use, but it’s obviously set up for a reason.

I would love for somehow to know if the client has actually viewed your name. Every CH is so different in rating, whether they rate the top 5 names and leave the rest, or rate just 1/2. But if we were to know that they had viewed our name and not bothered rating it, then we could probably assume they are not interested in the name.

6 Likes

Forgive me, I meant that they’re not rated, which, to me, seems about the same as never looking at them. When they’ve rated 200 and there are 1200 more to go, I think something just shuts off in their brains.

I would agree with @Jose on the 50 name limit wouldn’t hurt. I don’t think I have ever entered more than 30 in one contest and that would be extreme for even me. I usually just walk away if I don’t connect with what their looking for.

2 Likes

I can tell you this: I do use the message format in place of using “Best Entry.” I have no trouble with contestants using it to explain their entries if the meaning isn’t obvious. Most contestants who have been on the site awhile use it, and some CHs even suggest or request it. My concern is with contestant(s) who might use it to gain an inside track on a contest. Every now and then, a CH will message and submit TMI, If there are contestants using it for the purpose of having CHs swayed in their direction, beyond entry explanation or contest meanings, SH should be checking into it.

4 Likes

I like the way it is set up now. A lot of my entries are trial and error. Sometimes it takes a few rounds of entries to get exactly what the CH wants.

2 Likes

yes but you dont go up to 250 do you lol

Yeah totally. I have had CH’s message me to ask for an explanation of an entry. I haven’t sought out any direct info ever. I think all questions in relation to the competition should be in the ‘discussion’, for all to see. Yeah, my only issue of course is if contestants are using messaging to gain leverage, or are being ‘aggressive’ in using this feature. That’s something we will never know. And yeah we don’t know whether there is any monitoring of that at all :slight_smile:

1 Like