How do the logo creatives get the realistic looking logos!

How or what site gives the realistic logos! I’m going nuts

Wow ok thanx gyz. I appreciate it!

@Dansma I don’t do logos and I don’t really know what you mean by realistic logos, but I think most logo makers are using software like photoshop. I looked into this software once because I thought I might try my hand at it on SH but decided I’d stick to naming when I learned the software is around $800 or something crazy like that.

I think your question went unanswered with almost 70 views because most of us are just namers with no logo experience to offer a knowledgeable reply, and for the creatives that can answer, who knows, they might feel like they’d be giving away a secret ingredient for a winning recipe or something.

Maybe Google can help!?!?

Hope this helps in some way :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Thanks and yeah I understand…I have Googled and I do ok with logos it’s just they’re all animated you know. Like some have logos that are like folders on a desk and they look real not animated. Thanks so much . I’ll just have to keep looking cuz I’ve searched . It has to be a program. Thanks again @Chasity2ku

1 Like

I don’t know how they do it either, but some of those logos are amazing!!! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

The most commonly used program for Logo Design is Adobe Illustrator CS3.

6 Likes

Chasity, Gimp is a powerful, free, shareware photo editor. There is a learning curve and you can cut it short by tuning into some of the great, how-to videos by Gimp addicts who so generously share their secrets. :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Cool. Good to know! So, if I won with a design I created on Gimp, would I have full access to legally transfer the required files to the CH?

I ask because awhile back I was dabbling in logo contests using some free apps on my iPad. I was getting good ratings here and there but got nervous and backed off because of something admin posted in the forum. I basically got worried I wouldn’t be able to produce the required files. Maybe I could have but I didn’t know how, or if I was even legally able to, and I didn’t want to find out what happens if I couldn’t.

Thanks for the input :blush:

The standard for creating logos is Adobe Illustrator. You used to have to buy the software, several hundred dollars, but you can now use a monthly subscription that’s $31.49 a month, $20 a month if you pay for the annual plan. And you can go to Adobe.com and get a free trial, it used to be 30 days, but I think they reduced it to 7 days now. But anyway, 30 dollars is a much better price to pay than several hundred dollars to try out the software and see if enjoy creating logos. I can’t remember exactly, but when Adobe sold Illustrator, the price could have been $499 with sale prices around $399. Maybe someone with a better memory than me remembers.

Illustrator is the Gold Standard for graphic design and if you want to make sure you can save all of the files necessary, then this is what you get. And if you going to spend weeks and weeks and more likely months and months learning software, you may as well spend a few dollars for the best. But this is my personal opinion.

6 Likes

Absolutely, Chasity2ku, you have full copyrights and transfer and sales rights to your graphics, photo files, and other files created on Gimp graphics and photo editor.

Just as though you had paid for a Gimp subscription – which is impossible to do.

Shareware is created by and added to by generous programmers as a gift to themselves and the rest of us. Sometimes or often, like with Wikipedia, anyone can apply to be an editor and developer. And sometimes, also as with Wikipedia, there is a request for donations, but choosing not to give never will restrict your use of the program, and giving will not enhance your privileges.

Helps to restore your faith in humanity, doesn’t it :slight_smile:

Absolutely, Chasity2ku and Dansma, you have full copyrights and transfer and sales rights to your graphics, photo files, and other files created on Gimp graphics and photo editor.

Just as though you had paid for a Gimp subscription – which is impossible to do.

Shareware is created by and added to by generous programmers as a gift to themselves and the rest of us. Sometimes or often, like with Wikipedia, anyone can apply to be an editor and developer. And sometimes, also as with Wikipedia, there is a request for donations, but choosing not to give never will restrict your use of the program, and giving will not enhance your privileges.

Helps to restore your faith in humanity, doesn’t it :slight_smile:

Dansma, do give Gimp a go; it is powerful, free shareware. The art, graphics, and photo editing possibilities are amazing. And like everything else, when you know what you’re doing, Gimp is easy, although in digital artwork, as with any art form, some things do take patience to execute well.

There is so much to Gimp. I’ve been using it for a few years and haven’t nearly mined all the possibilities. M

FYI…Squadhelp doesn’t allow the use of anything but Adobe Illustrator.

3 Likes

Hi Commulinks, as long as a logo design is in pixels and either .jpg or.png format it will upload to SH using any graphics editor.It takes me forever to design a logo, as I still have so much to learn using Gimp photo and graphics editor tools.That said, the logo and variations uploaded NP, and one design variation is in the finals. M

Mevina, the deliverables for logos include vectors, I believe. I don’t do logos but I have looked into this and even tried to learn Illustrator (to no avail! Ugh!) and I am fairly sure that SH has rules about this… that Illustrator is the standard, even though you can upload what you’ve created in Gimp (because they are the right format). I said what I said to you to give you a heads up because if you are spending a lot of time using Gimp and you have to use Illustrator, I wouldn’t want to see you waste your time. It’s something to ask SH directly about using the blue button. I definitely could be wrong about this… so it’s best to ask SH directly. That post was just a courtesy.

3 Likes

@mevina you don’t have to blue button it…the answer could help many here in the forum.

I’m gonna throw in an @grant to see if we can get this cleared up for anyone interested, including myself :slightly_smiling_face:

The most commonly used program for Logo Design is Adobe Illustrator CS3. It is important to keep in mind that all assets used must be free of any copyright or Trademark issues. Although you can initially upload the logo submission to the contest in a jpg or png format, if you win a contest, you would need to provide the original source files in Adobe Illustrator format, as well as a vector format.

This is a quote from Dan, from last year I think.

3 Likes

Yes, final deliverables are submitted in vector format i.e. as .ai or .eps files. Logos are accepted world wide in both Illustrator and Coral Draw, but SH accepts Illustrator files. In addition one can submit files in other formats like .pdf, .psd, .jpg, .gif, .png etc… but .ai or .eps is must. Vector graphics are used because the images can be resized infinitely without losing image quality or image resolution. It won’t get pixelated. For print we always go for vector files. Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Chasity2ku

@Brandshai and @LisaMac are correct -

“Although you can initially upload the logo submission to the contest in a jpg or png format, if you win a contest, you would need to provide the original source files in Adobe Illustrator format, as well as a vector format.”

“Final deliverables are submitted in vector format (i.e. as .ai or .eps files). SH accepts Illustrator files. In addition one should submit files in other formats like .pdf, .psd, .jpg, .gif, .png etc… but .ai or .eps is a must.”

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification @grant and to everyone else who chimed in :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes