Having portfolio consists of 100% SH names, not other names

Hi folks,
I have a question.
What is your opinion about having 100% SH domains in portfolio? I mean if we focus on collecting/buying only SquadHelp published names، not any other domains, can this be a profitable investment?
If not, why?
If yes, then:
How many domains can we sale per year if our portfolio size is 50 domains?
How many domains can we sale per year if our portfolio size is 100 domains?
How many domains can we sale per year if our portfolio size is 200 domains?
How many domains can we sale per year if our portfolio size is 500 domains?
Thank you!

It can be a very modestly profitable investment if you buy them low. I have 116 of them and another 220 that I own. The selling rate would be the same as all domains and it depends on the names obviously and whether or not you pay for the renewals on them. But don’t go into this thinking you are going to sell a ton of them. If you buy 100 of them, the renewals alone are $1000 per year. If you let SH renew them then you don’t have that cost but the commission on those goes down every year when they renew by a LOT more than the renewal amount. And, SH will soon stop renewing the older names (2017 and beyond). They told me they may offer something to those of us who have them but I don’t know what.
Then you have to add in the cost of buying them. It takes a while to make that up with the commissions so low. You would probably make more money buying less seller owned names at reasonable prices. But it all depends…

6 Likes

Links, if this is not super-secret information, share statistics on how many premium domains you have sold jointly with SH and your own, so that our colleague makes the right decision.

3 Likes

Oh sure, happy to help. I have sold 37 names on SH alone (all names). In the beginning (2017-2018) I only had SH registered domains. I started buying my own around May 2018. Of the names I have sold, 16 (corrected) were SH registered, I think. I have a little trouble adding them up because I have sold on other platforms, too, and can’t remember where things were… but I think this is about right. This year, I sold one of my oldest SH registered names. I make a profit every year with all of my names.

7 Likes

I’m happy for you. Unfortunately, I have not yet sold a single co-domain; by a strange coincidence, I manage to sell my personal domains faster than the ones registered by SH

3 Likes

How many SH names do you have, Edukar?

2 Likes

About 50, I think that’s a lot to beginning for sell. I know that many creatives first sell SH domains that are better positioned on the market, but apparently I have a different path. 0)

3 Likes

Thanks for your answer.

Sorry, I couldn’t make my question clear. My question is about Seller owned domains.
So how many domains could be sold if we have 100 premium domains?
How many domains could be sold if we have 200 premium domains?
How many domains could be sold if we have 500 premium domains?

And what is your suggestion? Should we start with seller owned names or SH owned names? If we start with SH owned names, so what could be a good minimum portfolio size? 100 or more?
(I think you answered it but want a little more detail.

There is no definitive answer to your question. This is not a scientific endeavor. I wish it were.

2 Likes

Why is there no answer. You need observation and ingenuity. Our colleague can go to the Marketplace dashboard and see the top domainers, and look how many domains are sold by them per year. Then log in and look at the account of each of these domainers to find out the total number of domains that each of their jomers has. You can easily calculate the percentage of the total number of domains sold. Typically, the sales percentile ranges from 1 to 10%, but for the majority it is 1-3%. This means that having 100 domains, you sell 1-3 domains per year, having 1000 you sell 10-30. It makes no sense to have less than 500 domains. Because the ownership of 100 domains is a profit, which only pays for the all own domains renewal, the real income you get by owning 1000 or more domains.

3 Likes

Well, that is true Edukar. Every person has a different selling rate, though. This is a numbers game as you outline, but it is also a gamble. A lot depends on your ability to recognize names that will sell (or create them). In other words, you can’t just buy 500 random names and still be in the average selling range, you know what I mean?

I also gave my own example as you suggested, which does give an answer to the original question but again it might different for another person.

6 Likes

That’s right, Lynks!
This is where our intuition and experience as a namer will come in handy. There should be 500 attractive names in the portfolio. We have been working with you for several years and have accumulated a database of names that can be registered. Besides, here you are absolutely right, domainer still need a little luck in this business.

1 Like

I keep thinking about this. There’s more, when it comes to SH specifically. It is HARD to get that many names approved on SH. REALLY HARD. So you end up buying names that never get approved and don’t have great places to list them. I truly wish I could buy 500 names and have them all approved on SH but the reality is, I would be unbelievably lucky to have more than 100 of those approved. The other 400 would then cost money.

But if you consider the original question about SH owned domains which are already approved, a person would still need to be able purchase that many names at their asking prices. Or, buy other names that are already approved for their asking prices. That’s a lot of names to buy and a lot of up-front cost. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm… to be honest, I REALLY WISH I could do that!

3 Likes

Lynks, you must be very brave! I bought domains slowly for three years because I was afraid that the SH would not approve of them. And recently he stopped being afraid and began to buy a lot and quickly. Do you know why? My great potential names began to be registered by other people. My notebook with my potential domains has shrunk a lot. But it paid off. I have already sold several unapproved domains on another site. And You Stop being afraid! The 300 domains you own = this is a small amount. You need to move on. If the name is beautiful, there is no need to fear disapproval, clients will buy it anyway! And they will buy on those sites with which the SH has syndication.

3 Likes

Wow, Edukar, I really appreciate this. I LOVE doing this but I am SO SO SO SO SO SO careful and maybe I should loosen up a bit. I wish you would be able to tell me where you sold those… we aren’t allowed to do that here.

3 Likes

We are allowed to do this here. Because the SH is officially cooperating with this platform. This is Afternic. I recently sold a premium domain there, but according to the SH rules, I told SH team about it and paid the difference here. If you sell standard domains, you don’t pay anything

4 Likes

Ah yes, I have everything there, too. I sell 1-2 there a year.

4 Likes

If you have more domains, you will be selling more here and there. Therefore, do not limit yourself in desires. In addition, I noticed that as the number of good domains grows, so does the sales percentile.

4 Likes

We can buy seller owned and SH owned domains from the resellers at other platforms as well as at SH wholesale marketplace.
I agree that mathematical approaches to domain venture are not entirely correct, but there is still some involvement of meth. The bigger the portfolio size, the easier it will be to manage this business, but the problem is I want to start with 100-150 SH domains. Will it be okay for me? Or should I focus on sellers owned domains which I currently have only two but intend to add more.

Suleman, I will repeat once again, if you want to do this business, be more careful and more observant. You can solve many questions yourself without asking colleagues. Take another look at the table of successful domainers. Those with large portfolios tend to be domain owners. They have one or two won competitions and an average sales percentage of 1.5-3.5%. Other domainers with a much higher percentage of sales> 10% turn out to be successful creatives who have won many contests. This means that most of the domains do not belong to them, but, as a rule, are registered by a SH team. Since SH domains are well positioned in the marketplace the percentage of sales of such domains is therefore higher. I don’t know what exactly to advise you. Everyone has his own path. Someone successfully sells SH domains, someone their own.

3 Likes