Couldn't Find the Thread on Down Votes

I looked, but couldn’t find it, so I’d like to ask the SH Admin. if there is some reason the Contest Holders select a winner, and then go back and down vote names that they previously indicated were either “On the Right Track,” or “Like It,” or even “Love It.”

I just don’t understand why that happens? :worried:

4 Likes

I think it just means they are hiding the names so they can narrow down their decision w/out seeing them hon

3 Likes

Ohhh, I see - Just wish there was another way for them to do that - Watching your entry go from 3, 4, or 5, down to a “No Thanks” is a little demoralizing. :confused:

7 Likes

I agree. And it seems to be hurting our overall ratings. I wish the CH had the option to move it to some “not interested” page without actually changing the rating . Painful to see your smiling green love faces turn orange.

3 Likes

I agree, it is hurtful to see.that I also noticed that some ch downvote the entry, even after they’ve chosen a winner. What is the point in that? Just leave it alone.

5 Likes

I know that supposedly it doesn’t harm your percentages if they downgrade a rating after giving you a high score,as you get credit for the highest rating,even if they downgrade it later…but there is something psychologically demotivating about seeing your hard work and high score be thrown away.Not only that…but once you have a love it or like it that is downgraded…then your high rated name disappears from you love it/like it file of high rated names. I know every time that happens to me it makes me frustrated.I also don’t see the point of downgrading everyone’s score,especially after the winner has been chosen, or in the process of choosing a winner. Especially if there are only a handful of high ratings. Certainly a CH can choose out of like 3-5 names, without having to eliminate in ratings the other few. I think once a CH has chosen a winner…then the ratings should be frozen and they can’t do anything else with them.

7 Likes

I just thought that needed to be repeated.

2 Likes

Ditto! @Chasity2ku @hollygirl

2 Likes

This has happened to me a LOT lately and YES it is really impacting me, my motivation and maybe even my work. It’s been such a frustrating time lately. THANK YOU again Holly. It’s like you read my mind or something.

3 Likes

Ha…Commulinks! Wow…I thought it was just me. This last month I have really struggled to even get good ratings…let alone win…lots of rejections for some reason.So it is especially hard when so often the meager good ratings I get turn into rejections …either sooner or later.It does play mind games with you. I’ve about given up 50 times…but then give myself a pep talk that not all CH’s are gonna like your naming style…so it’s not necessarily a reflection on your naming skills,and things can turn around on a dime.So I keep plugging away… Best of luck everyone. May you see lots of green faces!(And keep them!)

4 Likes

CH’s are simply using the ratings which SH provides.

Does everyone remember those tests way back when where you had 4 selections and you had to decide which one wasn’t like the others? Well, look at the rating choices that CH’s have, then pick the one that doesn’t quite fit.

Right, the ‘no, thank you’ option doesn’t fit with the others. ‘No, thank you’ should just be removed from the rating selection. It only has a negative purpose, that same purpose can be transferred to the ‘on the right track’ rating but in a more positive way.

What is happening is that CH’s get in the habit of being negative over and over again and they come away from this whole experience with negative feelings. When you are selling anything, the last thing you want to hear is the word no and here we are encouraging the client to say no hundreds of times. The ‘No, Thank You’ option should just be removed.

SH could also add a new rating mechanism after the names have been submitted, something like a star to highlight the top contenders. SH could then freeze the prior ratings and only allow them to rate top contenders with a star or some other icon.

Arnet- What would you have the CHs do when they come across some really horrible names (SH shared some way back). Do you really think they should be a 'considered name"?

I think no thank you is way better than the “Nah” it used to be lol

1 Like

How about “please try again” instead of ‘no thank you’?

1 Like

Can you give an example of a horrible name?

I will say that the opposite has happened to me, too. Recently, I received a Love rating right before the CH declared someone else the winner. I got all excited… then boom. But I do appreciate the love.

1 Like

Arnet, a while ago in the Forum, SH gave us some examples in order to help us understand something they had done to change the platform. I don’t remember what the names were and we can’t see other contestant’s names so it would be hard for LauraE to give you an example. But I will say that the names SH gave as examples were not only bad names, they were entries that didn’t even make sense. They were talking about some CHs being flooded with names like that. I think SH has gotten that under control now as they monitor such things. The examples they gave us were quite convincing. I believe it was Dan or Grant that posted them months ago now.

2 Likes

I can’t find the post where SH posted about 6 or 7 names some time ago but they were nothing but a collection of consonants and vowels together that were nonsensical. Also, another thing I noticed from one of SH competitors that has public contests, there are names that are produced solely to make fun of the CH and/or their Biz/ product. I’m sure that sort of behavior happens here too.

1 Like

I never saw that post.

Maybe SH could do what another site does, have a report feature. In this case, the CH would simply report the name as being nonsensical or offensive. The other site allows namers to report the name during the voting stage of the contest, but that wouldn’t work here.

I think SH does have this feature for CHs, Arnet.

1 Like