Contest Review before posting active

I would like to suggest that all contests be reviewed either by SH itself or by a selective group of creatives before they post in order to improve the quality of contest briefs.

If SH were to go with crowdsourcing the contest briefs, my suggestion would be to pay something for the time of contestants who work on briefs before they post. I understand that this would give those contestants advance knowledge of the contest, which “could” be viewed as an “advantage” but because it would also improve the quality of the briefs, it would benefit everyone so that might be the trade-off.

I know that I subbed ideas for improving the briefs that SH is working on and has not launched yet. But because briefs are so often incomplete, vague and abandoned, I thought this might also help.

Thanks for consideration. I appreciate it.

2 Likes

It’s a work-in-progress SH service already in the planning stage as we speak

1 Like

I didn’t know that! Thanks @Vision!

1 Like

Thanks @Commulinks for the feedback. We will take this into account as we plan future changes. Engaging creatives for this could lead to other unintended issues, like you pointed out. Therefore we have to be careful in allowing only some creatives to have a private communication channel with the CH.

@Vision, can you point out where you might have read this is a work in progress? We might introduce a new offering down the road but it is not something that is in the works currently.

1 Like

@Dan, You have mentioned contemplating introducing a brief assistance service, not involving creatives but being solely a SH initiative, earlier on the forum

Yes, I can imagine. There may have to be a work-around somehow or a way to make it fair. With so many great people at your disposal, I imagine there must be a way without SH having to hire someone to do that. Let us know how we can help. Thanks so much for your constant quick responses.

1 Like

Maybe there’s a way to make the interaction between the CH and the Contestant anonymous so the CH doesn’t know who they are.

1 Like

Maybe the CH can pay an extra fee to have a creative assist with the brief, as this could enhance the experience. That extra fee could go directly to the creative as compensation. If a creative accepts, they forfeit entering that contest.

There could be a group of pre selected creatives appointed by SH based on trust level etc. for the CHs to pick from, or SH could pair them contigent on the creative accepting.

4 Likes

Interesting idea… but definitely yes, any creative(s) assisting with the brief should be automatically not allowed to participate in the contest itself, for obvious reasons.

6 Likes

I am not sure how much it will help, as CH’s don’t realize what they like or don’t like until they actually start seeing things come in…LIke, Oh I don’t like the word “clutter” don’t use that. Don’t seem to be liking the path we are on, lets change to this…After reviewing the entries coming in, I would like to stay away from “blah”. It will still be an evolving process no matter how concise the brief. (they don’t know what they don’t know until it comes up). I would like more detail on briefs than just “something catchy”, but this won’t stop the evolution, it’s part of the process, painful or not. (to them and us)

3 Likes

Jackie, there are enough contests where we do not know much of anything about them that it could definitely help, IMHO. We have had some that have been way too brief and even missing key information altogether. Any movement toward improvement!

I know, I said " I would like more detail on briefs ", but still “I am not sure how much it will help” with their ever changing thoughts once entries come in.

2 Likes

I think you raise a good point, Jackie. My gut tells me it prob would be more work to set up and regulate than its worth! This is because I feel any CH that would consider the assistance is prob going to be pretty engaged to begin with and offer a somewhat detailed brief and be reactive to our questions etc. The CHs that give a vague brief and no communication are the core of our creative directional problems and the ones that would benefit most from the assistance, but I don’t think most of them would see a need for it. (Why would they if they don’t even see a need to offer a few words of guidance??)

It’s these Unengaged CHs that we need to reach somehow. I’m just not sure how?!?!

Some type of participation/thorough brief incentive etc!

I know its been tossed around before but it’s the only bait I think an unengaged CH would take.

There is one right now changing their mind every 45 minutes to an hour right now. This is just what I see continuing. Don’t know how to fix it. Those truly interested stay invested, others not so much.

3 Likes

@Commulinks, I agree that there are way too many brief “briefs” out there, not sure about creatives helping out in the cause, although certain requirements to be filled out upon the ch’s contest submission to the platform might help.

@jackieheraty; I hear ya loud and clear about the flip flopping, teter tottering, what’s in a name-- stuff . But besides the basic how many words, fun/professional/surprise me info, maybe SH should make it a requrement that they give more specifics about what they “Might Want”. They can still flip flop later on, though it is THEY Who are in need of a name and we would hope that they put some time and effort into getting there own clue first. Sorry for the long rant, I only think it could help if the CH were required to put more info in their brief before submitting the contest.
****Examples: 1.) Give examples of names of companies in or out of thier field that they might like.2.) What do they like most about what there company offers, give highlights about what they do or offer. They don’t have to write a book or anything, but all should be required to put certain info, and maybe in doing so they might learn a thing or two about what they might like in a name along the way. Some of them already do it, but it should be required.
:v:

And on the totally opposite side of the spectrum, there are some briefs that feed us needless information. Some briefs go on and on and on sounding more like a business plan than a creative brief. And some go on and on about this and that and some other thing until you discover that you’re not paying attention to what they have written. So you start rereading the brief again.

I don’t need to know that you live in Iowa, that you go to church every Wednesday and Sunday, and your favorite show is Antiques Roadshow if it isn’t germane to naming your product or service. I made this last bit up, no one has ever mentioned all of those things in a creative brief, at least I don’t think so.

4 Likes

Yesss I agree. Some of the briefs are way too long with so much completely irrelevant information. However, if I had to pick I’d rather have that than a brief with little to nothing to go off of.

1 Like

Oh You guys read them!!! I go from type of company to names and length , then if I’m still confused I peruse the brief for some keywords,

1 Like

But @seezall, how would you ever know that the owner once had a goldfish named Bubbles who died tragically after they forgot to feed it, therefore causing a permanent negative association with any fish based names? It’s essential info!

3 Likes