Contest name entered changed value

I am feeling a bit deflated, as I entered a contest (naming, and never had a win, but to have one of my names entered and receive a like was a happy feeling, then I see it was short listed, only to see the next day that the ch had changed it to ‘no thank you’ !.. the could of just left the like on it… not impressed :disappointed:

1 Like

Hang in there friend. Honestly this is super normal- it’s just part of the ride. This happens to me… I don’t even want to put a number on it lol. Let’s just say at least once a day.

Just have faith and keep entering. Sometimes it’s due to an overflow of similar names- nothing personal.
Example- I have Corex, Coreo, and Corea.
The contest holder at some point is going to want to clear out the repeats so they pick the one they like the best to move it on.

You don’t lose any points when that happens. It just changes on their end.

3 Likes

I received a SH noticed that I was selected as winner in a fun child science contest a couple of years ago! I was jumping for joy and thanking God as it had been a year since I had won a contest. You know the feeling of not winning. Then, you guessed it, I was sent an email from SH saying the client made a mistake in choosing my name, and then chose another creative as the winner. (After my emotional breakdown, I noticed the winning name was actually better than mine, so I felt a bit better)

8 Likes

Oh no Laura, that really sucks! I remember winning a contest a couple years back (happier times) and receiving the payout only to get an email several days later saying that the CH changed their mind and decided to choose a different name since the one I entered was no longer available. It WAS available at the time I entered it. The prize amount was deducted from my account and I had that negative $300 balance staring me in the face for a LONG time before I could afford to pay it back. I was upset for a quite a while. I’m glad that you got a bit of consolation in the end.

10 Likes

omg… that would of been terrible for you… once a first decision is made I think it should stay if the competition is closed.

3 Likes

thank you for you answer, I should not be disappointed then for when this happens, have to take it with a pinch of salt, so to say :

1 Like

Oh thank goodness I’m not the only one!! Same here on a 300! I was so depressed for weeks when I would just keep coming back to my page and seeing that negative.

3 Likes

@jayccee on the bright side, I won a contest a few months’ ago after receiving a No Thank You! I first got an On Right Track and then NTY. So, keep up the good work a win might just be round the corner! :wink:

5 Likes

That is horrible! I’m so sorry you went through that, @tkpro72 What happened to me was within an hour, but to go several days and then reverse? No, that is not right. The sale should have been final! To ask the winning money back is abhorrent.

Maybe, SH should implement a 24 hr rule and hold the winning money for that duration. The client has 24 hrs to change their minds but after that period, the contest winning name that was picked should be considered final.

5 Likes

That’s a great idea @LauraE! It takes a bit of the joy out of winning when you know there is a chance, even a small one, that it can be snatched away from you later on. I am not the only one, @littodino had the same thing happen to her. I wish SH showed a bit more consideration for how the actions of CH’s can affect us creatives. A great step in the right direction would be to implement your suggestion along with others I have seen.

6 Likes

Hahahha what a horrible visual of being handed your paycheck after hours of work only to have your boss come back and be like… sike! :joy:

3 Likes