Comments on Contest Pages

We have received feedback from few contest holders as well as few contestants that some of the contestants are using rude language in discussion section of Contest pages. Please review the following guidelines before posting comments on contest pages:

1. Rude, insulting language or name calling in comments or messages to CH or any other contestants is not tolerated.

2. While you can remind the CH about the rating guidelines, or seek clarification on their ratings, you can not argue with them about their choice of rating. At the end of the day, if a CH did not like a specific entry, they have the right to give it a low rating. Ratings are meant to provide feedback to contestants so that they can adjust their future submissions. Just because you received a 2 star rating, does not mean that it was a bad submission - it just wasn’t something the CH was looking for. We have now eliminated any penalties for 2 star ratings, and significantly reduced the negative points for 1 star ratings. Therefore, please use the ratings as a feedback tool.

We will monitor the comments section, and if we see continued violation of comment posting guidelines by the same users, we will be forced to take further actions.

2 Likes

the written word is often misinterpreted- I know some contestants have complained about some of my comments which they read in the wrong way.

The ch brief is often misinterpreted , also some contestants will complain about certain people whatever they say in a bid to get them banned :wink:

3 Likes

you also need to look at some of the people complaining to be fair

@Jose, this message is not directed at you - more of a reminder of our overall policy for all contestants.

1 Like

ok thanks just wanted it noted that not all complaints are equal :wink:

2 Likes

Dan, I think your point is completely valid and there are comments I find offensive, both from contestants (not you, Jose) and CHs as well. I don’t have a problem with 2-star ratings per se. However, they come into play more than they used to because our high/low ratings percentage is now affecting our number of submission entries. Just to note my own situation, despite trending in a number of recent contests and having my total points continually rise, my high entries % has dropped over a point since last month because so many CHs give a majority of 2s. I’ll bet this applies to a number of other contestants. I really preferred the old system when our number submissions were based on our total points. It’s a better judge of performance over time.

3 Likes

@auntshommy, thanks for sharing the feedback. Just to clarify, if you receive 1-star rating, 2-star rating or 3-star rating, it will make no difference in your high rated % calculation. We only take into account 4 and 5 star rated entries in calculating this % - so the impact of receiving a 2 rating is absolutely same as receiving a 3 star rating.

Dan, my high ratings percentage is dropping almost by the day. To be honest about this, I have not won a single unawarded contest since the changes to the site, though I’ve starred entries in all the ones with no ratings. This also makes a big difference in who receives 1000 extra points at the end of the month, and there are contestants who have been chosen for those contests multiple times. Sorry about the venting, but it does seem somewhat unbalanced.

2 Likes

Dan, I am completely in agreeing with you. I am new to SH, but in this short span of time has noticed the same what you have highlighted in this post. There is no point of arguing with CH, after all, CH has the liberty and final authority to select the winner (obviously within the terms of SH).

Dan@Squadhelp,

I do think that there have been quite a few comments in ‘discussion’ sections lately (obviously this could be happening in personal messgaes too) that are ‘emotional’, and professionally inappropriate to post. I know you mentioned recently that CH’s are contacting you about contestants being “rude” about their ratings and not wanting to continue rating, or give any more feedback in a competition.

The CH’s are all professionals here trying to find a name for their business. We are all creatives, and obviously it can be frustrating when you have spent time thinking of names to have them,a) ignored, b) badly rated, or c) downgraded. I do think that contestants shouldn’t be allowed to voice emotional respsonses, such as not liking their ratings, having their ratings changed (when CH’s are just trying to find 1 name that fits), or the amount of time they have spent on a competition to not get the ratings or feedback they desired.

These are already obvious guidelines, but if its affecting a CH’s desire to continue rating, change direction of their brief, or rate/give feedback at all, then we all are suffering the consequences.

Obviously its seems appropriate to ask if the CH will continue rating, or maybe remind them of the star rating system, but there just seems like a lot more complaining/rudeness. I love using this website as a creative outlet, and although it can be frustrating at times, it’s definitely more on the fun side for me.

I know you posted this a few weeks ago; maybe some people don’t read the forum, or just need more reminding:)

5 Likes

You must have joined SH fairly recently. Just before this forum was created, the comments in some contests were almost vindictive in nature. There may be some “professionally inappropriate” comments still being posted, but there were contestants belittling each other and attacking the CHs in some contests. I think there’s been a tremendous improvement. I may have some other concerns, e.g. winning names that make no sense combined with win pattern(s) that seem questionable, but the professional behavior on this site has greatly improved.

5 Likes

Yes, I do only have about 11 weeks experience, so I knew I couldn’t speak for anytime before then. When I first started, mostly the comments I saw were reminding CH’s of the star rating system, and whether there was more direction or more ratings going to happen before the contest ended.

I am certainly glad to have missed any belittling or attacking.

2 Likes

Definitely! We’ll see if others comment, but the forum has made a world of difference in improving both contestant and CH behavior.

1 Like

@SMJ110, thanks for sharing your thoughts. We agree with your observation. We have already begun steps to implement clear comment posting guidelines through out the site. We will now begin taking stricter actions for those who do not follow these guidelines.

1 Like

I wonder about private comments - wouldnt it annoy a ch to receive 40 private messages asking the same same thing. I know some people only ask things privately as they want to get one up on everyone else and not share the reply

2 Likes

@Jose @Dan

I would willingly share the feedback from Clients I’ve correspond with via PM, if I was allowed to post on the discussion board. Until I win a contest, I can’t. Perhaps this is something the Squad team can work on? If someone contributes to contests over a space of time, could they be able to post to the discussion board?

1 Like

@LauraE, Thanks for the suggestion. We agree, and will implement a change in our system that would allow users with 500+ points to post comments, even if they haven’t won any contests so far. We should have this in place soon.

2 Likes

Update: We have now added the ability for contestants with more than 500 points to add comments (even if they haven’t won any contests)

7 Likes

Some Chs use 1s and 2s for 3s and 4s and never give 5’s. So you never get anypoints.

1 Like

Thanks @Dan! That was fast!