Checking for names on social media

Is there an easy way to check for names on twitter, instagram, and facebook when CH asks that they be available there, if you do not have accounts on those sites?

1 Like

@Name4u you can check them all at once here

7 Likes

Awesome! Thanks Jackie. It still amazes me how quick everyone is to help here on SH! We rock​:love_you_gesture::love_you_gesture:t2::love_you_gesture:t4::love_you_gesture:t6:

9 Likes

Does anyone know where to find Squadhelp’s position on CHs requiring creatives check social media availability? I know there is guidance that CH can’t require creatives to do trademark checks, but cannot find the written position on things like social media checks. Thanks!

4 Likes

I believe I asked before and they said no. Similar to trademark.

4 Likes

You’re right. I remember you asking and I’ve also asked things that pertain in and around that, and have also been told that it’s not on the creatives to do that. Only thing creatives have to do when subbing to a contest is make sure that the domain name is available (which SH has it programmed in to check, as it is) and you follow the rules and such. If a contest holder requires a name to be free across social media, that is on them and/or working with SH to ensure of this for whatever names they may be interested. A creative is not REQUIRED to ensure of this or even that it is available for trademark. Some creatives do, however, still check for their own curiosity and to make sure.

4 Likes

Exactly. I see it as a liability.
I can think of two contests currently running that are asking for TM/availablity checks.
There’s a reason why it costs so much to get a name TM checked by a professional. It’s complicated and time consuming.

6 Likes

I usually check with Trademarkia before submitting a name.

1 Like

The problem with having creatives do any Trademark checking is that we are not TM professionals. So much of TM law is dependent on the Class and Goods & Services being protected. The SH contest briefs are nowhere close to being a document that could be used to determine these properly. Differences here are why (as example) the word “Delta” can exist as multiple TMs, for different businesses, like Delta Airlines and Delta kitchen faucets…Checking availability on social media is much clearer, a name is either available or it isn’t. I sometimes (slightly grudgingly) will check social media handles, but not TMs. Contests shouldn’t ask for either of them, but I do constantly see this in the briefs.

7 Likes

Policy or not, I would check them if people asked because the bottom line is they may not choose your name if they can’t get the SM handle they want.

4 Likes

If it isn’t allowed per SH rules then they should not be permitted to require it and SH ought to have it removed from the brief. It is a lot of extra work to search all these “extras” and as others have mentioned there are liabilities.

6 Likes