Best Entry contests

Also its not just admin, many times we go WTH to a CH pick too!

4 Likes

Exactly, so SH is doing a pretty good job of simulating the experience! :wink:

To me I feel SH picks are spot on most of the time! , the contest I was referring to only had 6 ratings all done early on day 1 the CH the abandoned the contest and left entries unseen, , different feelings had the CH seen all entries and/or ratings for a few days at least

How would I deduce a contest like this, 3 top trenders, 1 inactive now (sorry Charlie, but remain active to win) Now we are left with 2 the ch rated high, these are the gold Standard, whether or not ch rated through or saw all entries, OK great, now we have all the Best entries that are marked, going one by one do any just flat out nail the brief (subjectively, off course) or is just flat out a better brandable name for that contest, a tidier URL or whatever that makes a best entry better than what is presented by the CH as to his/her likes. 
 Lastly please keep in mind that everyone is not a batch namer submitting the max deleting, and over again getting on the trending board by sheer volume alone, as opposed to those that never sub the max and get a good rating although not trending that one submission is in the mix (quality over quantity)
2 Likes

@Dan,

Thank you for taking the time to clarify SHā€™s position on your name selections. I did notice you didnā€™t mention SH selection names based on how well it followed the briefā€¦ Are you saying the brief is not taken into consideration?I

2 Likes

@LauraE, the CH brief forms the primary basis against which all names are measured. I should have explicitly mentioned it, thanks for pointing it out.

3 Likes

In any case, Iā€™m glad SH got this dialogue started again. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s going to be differences of opinion because some contestants are more literal namers when it comes to following the rules than others. Thereā€™s a fair amount of money involved, more than there used to be. The sign of a great winner is when the name is so great you see clearly why yours lost and wish you would have thought of it yourself. I followed the best namers on the site when I started on SH and watched what they were doing. We all have our own ideas of what a great name is. Iā€™m hoping to see more that set the standard here. (PS I loved ā€œSwoopā€ too!)

4 Likes

The whole thing about SH being biased when picking out a name is a load of codswallop! Like Dan said there are so many factors to choosing the right name and all the my name is better than yours rubbish is not the greatest of arguments. Of course we all should think that our name is the best for the brief, due to availability, if we donā€™t then why even submit them. I agree with quality and not quantity.
Seezall has I think brought up a very good point about the ratings being given on the first day then never again, in fact the whole rating issue to me is weird, for example one of my wins I had given up thinking I had a chance of winning because it was rated as a ā€˜nahā€™ and I had 2 names that were ā€˜on the right trackā€™ and yet there were creatives with ā€˜love itā€™ so I presumed that I had no chance. The nah suggestion won the contest ?? Go figure?

So who knows, maybe SH (and I know this is extra work) could review all the names. Allowing us to best entry even the nahs if we think they are good enough and if you get a ā€˜love itā€™ from CH maybe not even have to use a best entry that way you get a free pass on love it suggestions and maybe you think one of your nahs is better this would allow a creative all their ā€˜love itā€™ suggestions free entry plus an extra 2 as best entry.

1 Like

How long is a contest closed before SH asks for best entry?

About a month, I believe.

2 Likes

@Demiurge, maybe Iā€™m misunderstanding what youā€™re saying in your last paragraph, but we already get a ā€œfree passā€ for ā€œlove itā€ (and ā€œlike itā€) entries-- they are automatically considered by SH without having to be marked Best Entry. So save your Best Entries for unrated (or a ā€œNahā€ you really love, but since the CH ratings are taken into account, thereā€™s not much chance of a ā€œNahā€ getting picked.)

1 Like

Sh n ch r who? i do not understand how this got to be a dictatorship system on voting by what Iā€™m reading if Iā€™m reading it properly.

Iā€™m totally new here n first time in discussion room. So the people that are looking for a name for THEIR company donā€™t pick the names? And I can aready tell u deal with a lot of fragile people. I just assume the client pick the name so best wins, nuff said!

Oftentimes the contest holder (ch) abandons the contest and doesnā€™t ever pick a name and so Squadhelp admins (SH) have a method for picking a winner in these cases.

3 Likes

Thank u for clearing that up, I figured out the CH after I read on. And as I redd all the descussions I would answer most of what I ?, but i still have a few. How many entryā€™s does a seasoned namer get? Just a thought here if CHs abandon frequently there a an reason. Contest to long, to many to pick from, or they found one they like already. Again what do I know but it sounds like a combination of allā€™em. I got the impression they contest run a lil long for a CH having to answer ? Some which shouldnā€™t be asked that would get annoying. Is there a cap on the # of entries a CH has to comb through? My point is I also get the impression some peps through as many as they can in hoping to up their chances but In reality CH aborts cause of questions that shouldnā€™t be asked, entries to many to few I donā€™t know. Maybe they donā€™t have enough invested, to easy to walk away from. I expected the contest to be worth more!!!i. If CHs only have 300$ invest n not getting results quickly again easy to walk. I figure the name of a company n most cases either makes them or breaks them. With all or most of there sales come via Internet. Good solid catchy name is gonna outsell boring dull name quality is your name hence I figured would be worth more. Ok I better just shut up. If I affended ao I didnā€™t want to after reading everything and hearing a bunch of whinning about who won. As humans we have 4 was to view names and not evo gonna agree which is best but what the CH says is best then it be the best! Nuff Said

@Dan When SH chooses a winner I know high rated submissions are considered. I just want to confirm that includes ā€œlike itā€ submissions that havenā€™t been mark as a best entry. Iā€™m assuming ā€œon the right trackā€ isnā€™t considered. Actually Iā€™m assuming all of this and thatā€™s why I want clarification. Thanks!

@Chasity2ku,

This help topic should clarify your questions. If you still have any additional questions, please feel free to ask.

2 Likes