Audience Testing Service

Do our names really stand on their own though? Do you and everyone else 100% of the time never add a description to your entries for the contest holder? If you describe even some of you entries to the contest holder – even some – then chances are it probably should be explained to an audience to be fair. Otherwise, why are we allowed to describe our entries to the CH and not to an audience? CH can make a decision different than audience testing proves, and i understand that – but more often than not, they are going to go with the results of the testing – otherwise what was the purpose of testing to begin with? So in a way, some of the times – if not most – the audience is making a decision for that contest. If you describe your entries for the ‘decision maker’ than anyone with any reasonable power of decision (partners that may be in the contest, sh contest management, audience test participants, etc) should be able to have that description as well.

Edited to add:

I can think of many names out there that ‘look’/‘sound’ peculiar – but you know what? A good portion of those names actually utilize taglines and branding images paired with the name to convey meaning – so in a way those are still descriptions of some sort. For the ones that don’t do that, you know, you wouldn’t make sense of them unless you actually looked on their ‘about’ pages or already had an interaction or experience with the brand – still descriptions or things that can be used to describe the brand in some way.

@rareworthy Yes, I add descriptions to some submissions. What I’m saying is, it’s like picking out a name for a child. Every parent has a reason for the name they choose, but you don’t go around explaining that reasoning to everyone your child meets. I think it is important for a CH to find meaning in a name, I just think the name has to have general appeal without the explanation.
Honestly, I don’t really mind if the descriptions are shown, I just wanted to point out another way of thinking about the issue. There’s no reason to get upset, I wasn’t trying to say your opinion was not valid.

Oh no, I’m not upset and your opinion is valid too (sorry it seemed otherwise) – but as a consumer, I am saying there have been many times, before I started doing all of this, that I looked up names of certain things and such because some just didn’t make sense. My point was that not every entry in a contest that is shortlisted is going to be a general appeal name because of the difficulty of getting a general appeal name that’s available as well there are some that like to stray a step or two past generic because a lot of CHs look down upon general/generic names for the sole reason if they wanted mass spectrum, they could just use name generators by plugging in their industry keywords. Yes, I know and agree that the name has to not only resonate with the ch but the audience as well – but like with anything – different people interpret things differently, and if there are 6 entries in testing and 5 are a little out side of the box and one is a bit more generic or at least easier understood – which entry do you thing would be picked without descriptions? Does that mean it’s the best fitting? I don’t know – they won’t know – how can anyone reasonably judge unless there’s context?

Example. Amazon. You ask half the people out there what it relates to, or what it means, there’s a good chance they may not know.