Audience Testing Service

What exactly is this? Are there people outside SH viewing our names?

It seems that way, but the CH picks what names are to be tested to a targeted audience and target audience then reports back their opinions of the name and how it fits the business. I may be wrong on this and not understanding it, myself. So I will link you to SH’s page about it here and then you can look over it and see if that answers your question or if it doesn’t or if it creates other questions. Wasn’t sure if you knew where to find this as I had to do a little clicking around to find it as well so I thought it may help you. If not, I’m sorry. Just trying to help a little until someone else may be able to help more.

May I ask, what safeguards are there to protect our names if one of our names is included in this test group,please? Since our entry is exposed to 100 people or more (are these people inside or outside of SH?) that someone else doesn’t like one of the names that is being “tested” and take it or register it? Thanks

The audience testing service allows the Contest Holders to validate their top choices by polling an audience that fits their target demographics (e.g. age, gender, location, etc). We work with an external partner for this testing, and the respondents who are recruited to vote on these top choices are not namers - they are people who would likely fit the customer profile of the business.

Most companies engage in some sort of informal testing with external users before finalizing their winning name. This service allows us to offer this capability in a more controlled and structured format. When these names are shown to the audience, they are not shown in the form of domain names, they are shown as brand names without domain extension. However it is our belief that this controlled testing method in fact results in lower risk of domain registration compared to informal methods employed by companies who do their own naming research.

any shot the creative can get the result if their submission is picked for testing? I would love to know the feedback.

Unfortunately, Audience Testing is only available to the Contest Holder who purchased the service.

@grant, I am not sure if this is a good place to post this question but it is somewhat related to the audience testing. If we have a name that is being tested for trademarking there is a green TM beside our entry. If that disappears is that any indication if it has passed trademarking or not? or does this just mean that the process has ended? I am curious because if the name hasn’t passed I would be reluctant to enter it in another contest. Thanks.

I would still enter it asit wont be for exactly the same business and ive seen names win that wouldnt pass so presumably not all need a trademark

@ChristyMay

Are you able to report a specific instance of this issue using the blue button? I’d like to look into it further. Once a name is sent for trademark validation the green TM should stay on that name.

Also, the results of the trademark research are only shared with the CH.

@ChristyMay

As @CreativeJohnny said - Trademark analysis is based upon several aspects (e.g. class of the business, country, etc.). If a name doesn’t work for a specific business, it still may work for a different business.

Unfortunately, I don’t see any safeguards for our names outside of personally registering them, which is against contest rules until after a winner is chosen. And, if you get carried away by a name as I too often do in a love of the moment, registering them all would be prohibitively expensive. Somewhere I saw that Squadhelp will register our names if they pass muster with the site owners, who then take 40% if the name is sold. Unless a name wins a contest, then we do get to keep the total prize money. I’m new to Squadhelp, so please correct me if I’m missing something.

Hi @grant, can you tell us if our short description is shown to the audience for the name being tested? Or is it just the list of names and the CH’s brief (or portion of)? Thank you.

Descriptions are not show.

@grant I think descriptions should be shown, how else can audience distinguish if the name is actually a good fit? Not showing descriptions automatically places outside of the box, madeup names, blended names that are a bit harder to explain, different language names, and other such truly creative names at a disadvantage compared to others that are just simple combined words, real words, or other such choices. This doesn’t seem fair.

Thank you for clarifying. Yes, I agree with @rareworthy that a short description of the name would be beneficial (even if SH chose a line from what we wrote). As we don’t know who the “audience is” - but I’m guessing it’s not industry creatives but more of a “jury duty” type of crowd.

Thank you for this feedback.

I feel like this is really important- as some contest holders ask for foreign words to build a brand around.
The word hdjkedb could mean beautiful view in japanese. Seeing hdjkedb is boring unless I hear the story. The about page of a website, when its followed by a tagline, a snippet on the back of a tag… those little stories exist when the name is in action. Getting a short description during audience testing, especially when the CH asks for a foreign or inventive word, could easily sway the audiences opinion.

This makes me understand now how certain CHs have loved entries from the beginning that they got entered and then last moment decided on a different name. Sad for those cases. I’ve had a few myself. I’m sure we have all had similar circumstances. I’m happy that CHs are getting names and such, but I don’t think it’s a true audience test unless pertinent information is provided because a lean is created towards understandable entries. This explains quite a few things I’ve noticed. Please allow us to include info snippets into audience testing. Names can’t speak for themselves in so many cases and every choice deserves to be heard. Chs deserve to have good names that ‘fit’ for their own important reasons not good names that only ‘look like’/‘sound like’ they fit unless those are ones that also fit for their own important reasons.

Exactly why I think some of mine had flopped audience testing… I’m with you 110% my friend.

1. CoolShoes
  2. FunkyShoes
  3. (shoes in another language)
  4. ShoeTastic
    A deep meaning can quickly be lost :frowning:

I understand why creatives would want their name explanations included, but if the purpose of audience testing is to see how consumers will respond to a name, then shouldn’t the names be able to stand on their own? First impressions are the point of audience testing, I would think.