Asking for names a CH likes

It is a little irritating to me when a creative asks the CH what names he is liking so far or not liking for that matter. Then the CH actually responds with a list. I just think it is unfair to give away words a creative entered…I get that a CH may list those on his own but for a namer to ask seems a little…ummm…gauche?

8 Likes

TulsaKim, I just posted this very thing right under yours. We must have done it at the same time.
Yes, this is a big faux pas in the naming business. I believe Dan or Matt or Janice need to get on this quickly.

5 Likes

TulsaKim, I agree with you. I wanted to post something like this in the comment section, but decided not to, so I wouldn’t offend anyone. But I was yelling, use your brains. Scared my husband, though. :grinning:.

5 Likes

We have hidden the comment regarding “Liked names”, and will remind both the creative and CH that names in private contests can not be revealed.

8 Likes

hi @dan I have received a notification and the names are one it! I find this situation really quite bad, as someone else has lost a contest maybe due to this type of thing.
I feel this would be an unnecessary question for a creative to ask if we got better input on the nahs they receive as just a nah is very vague and on contests like this where the CH is trigger happy I find myself asking myself what names they do like and then give up on the process completely because there is too much collateral damage.
So as a suggestion a possible drop down box on the nah section so the CH can only vote nah if they give a reason, this would help creatives and also eliminate simular submissions I understand you have communication in form of messages but most CH don’t use this option. Doing this would encourage creatives to keep submitting instead of dropping that way increasing quality and quantity.
Just a thought on how to turn this negative into a positive for all.

1 Like

@Demiurge, unfortunately, we can not force the CH to explain their reason for rejecting every entry, especially when they receive 800-1000 names in a contest. They do have the option to comment on every entry, however we can not make this mandatory, because it will lead to more abandoned contests. We want the contest holder’s to stay engaged and continue to rate as many entries , as efficiently as possible, so that they can find the perfect name during the contest. If the rating process is too cumbersome or restrictive, they will likely stop rating all together.

We have clear instructions for contest holders to not post names in the comment section, and that is the reason this issue has happened only a handful of times. We will look at more ways of making the instructions even more clear.

Thanks for the reply, Ok then maybe not force it but have it as a tool for them @Dan

@dan also I wanted to report the comment made by the creative yet there is no option to say asking for names liked so far, so I didn’t report it, maybe you could add this

Thanks for the feedback. They already have the ability to add a comment when rating an entry, but we will continue to improve the UX and add more features to further improve the feedback loop.

1 Like

@dan I appreciate you have made many improvements to SH, I think this is a fantastic place, and I understand it’s a constant work in progress also it’s difficult to please creatives and CH (you can please some people some of the time but not all all of the time…)
So thank you to you and all that make SH happen.

3 Likes

I believe I was the one that asked the likes/dislike names on the wine cellar contest. I apologize! I didn’t know it wasn’t allowed. I saw it on another contest and thought that was ok. I signed up less than 2 weeks ago, so still getting the hang of this. I won’t do it again! I too wish there was an explanation with the nah. On a couple of these contests, there have been 600 entries and 580 nahs with no explanation of what we are getting wrong. I give up pretty quickly on those. On the other hand, I also don’t like it when they don’t rate at all so you are left hanging without knowing if it’s ok or needs to be improved.

3 Likes

Welcome @VelocityGirl !

Hey VelocityGirl…nothing personal on that post. Good luck in the naming world! It’s easy to become addicted. :slight_smile:

Too late for that! If you calculated how much I won versus how many hours I’ve spent, I’d be better off collecting aluminum cans. lol

2 Likes

I think that is true for most of us…especially at the beginning.But it’s a rush when you win your first contest…so hang in!

1 Like

I won within a week of joining. So I thought “Oh, this will be easy!” Nada. Beginners luck.

2 Likes

Well,there you just got another win…so I guess it isn’t so hard for you…lol! Congrats…