Anyone get discouraged before their first win?

I have to admit that being on SquadHelp has been very humbling for me. I love playing word games, reading and being creative with words. I thought I would be good at this! Pride goeth before a fall. After entering 98 contests with 450+ entries, I don’t have a win yet after 3 months. I do have a rating of 92 - but no wins! How long, or how many contests entered, did it take before you had your first win? Once you broke the ice, so to speak, did your winnings pick up? I am starting to get discouraged. Any suggestions or comments?

2 Likes

Just hang in there. .it took me 3 mths for my first win. When you get your first win, you’ll be glad you stuck around :grinning:before you know it you’ll have many more​:green_heart:

5 Likes

Took me 3 months too, but after that first win, I was HOOKED!

Hang in there - You’re up against some amazing competition, which makes your first win even more gratifying. :star2:

9 Likes

I would say you dont have to be that good at word games or even making words thatt make sense to win .Its all a matter of what the contest holder is looking for at the time and whether they were paying attention when they read your entry.
I havent won yet either

7 Likes

Think of Squadhelp as a word game that you have a 1 in 100 chance of getting paid to solve. Don’t get yourself in a rut and maybe take a break and come back after you do a few things outside of your normal routine to freshen up your mind and thinking.

8 Likes

You nailed it BillWarburton. I haven’t won anything since April, and that’s about as long a dry spell as you two are going through. I haven’t forgotten how to be good at this, I haven’t connected with the right contest holders. There are enough contests on this site that you need not feel discouraged, and defeated. Believe in yourself, then believe you can do better, and it will start to happen.

7 Likes

Well, I just passed the 3 month mark so maybe I’m due! :smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement! I’m trying to just enjoy myself and I am getting more high ratings so I must be learning something!

3 Likes

I have ALL of you beat! It took me 4 months for my first win! I had another win. right after, plus a SH awarded contest. I thought I had arrived! NOT, Four month dry spell, then finally won one with a crummy name (they just picked it b ut they’re not using it) then, wouldn’t you know, another 4 months went by, and voila, finally a win. I trend, get ‘love it faces’ but not enough to kick it over the fence. So take Lightless’ advise, it’s an addicting word game, but you can only get better and better at it.

6 Likes

I think it could help if English isnt your first language, since it means you can come up with letter combinations that go against any preconcieved idea about how they should go together.
Its only a theory at this stage and difficult to put into practise.

3 Likes

Keep it up… i even like ur name “The Heritage Ohio”. i think it has a positive vibe. Good luck as always!!

3 Likes

I’d only been here two weeks when I got my first win, and had not been on much at all that second week because of work related duties and realizing I’d spent waaaaay too much time on here that first week. I’ve had several “LOVE” its since then, but more “NuUH No Ways”. That’s been my only win. And I can understand the discouragement. For me, it’s like, “Ok, I’ve done great that first week or two, what am I doing wrong now???” lol I’ve only been a member since August 7th, so haven’t had “months”, but I think when you come on strong, you get this idea that “I’m good at this!” and then every “NO WAY” after that it makes you start questioning every entry.

However, I’ve decided to look at this as more of a game for me, a challenge to myself when I get a “no” to try to come up with the perfect name. And even if that CH doesn’t like the name, I keep track of that name and try it in other contests where it fits.

I also don’t take it personally if they don’t like my mine. The CHs have a business they want to get started and see succeed, so for them, the name has to fit their personality, their style, and they’ll know it when they see it. The name of a company is Very important to how that company is viewed and they know more than we do how they want it to be seen in the community. So just as we aren’t going to like everyone we meet in life, because we are a world of personalities, not every name submitted is going to fit every personality.

I have also noticed that some contests have gotten extremely challenging of late. The CHs seem to know exactly what they are wanting, but the Creatives are somehow missing the mark, as the CHs aren’t liking anything. Those challenge me and I keep submitting after thinking I have the perfect name, and nope, that’s not it either. I’ve decided to limit my input in those contests to 10 “no likes” because I’ve realized that 1. I just can’t quite grasp what their vision is 2. different personalities, so what I like and think is great, doesn’t fit their personality and vision; and that is perfectly okay, and since my personality and likes are different, I’m not going to find that perfect for them. I decided to limit my entries in those contests because they are often inundated with 100s and 100s of entries and I don’t want to waste their time, or mine, submitting names that aren’t going to “fit” them.

Hang in there! I got lucky with my first win and it may be months (or even years) before I get second win. For me, this has become stress relief from my other two jobs, a way to blow off steam by playing with words (which I love to do), and if/when I win, it’s just an added bonus. The fun for me is in the challenge, in playing with words, and doing my best. Don’t think about it as having to win a contest, but rather as “Hey I did great that contest! Even if they didn’t like my names, because I liked my names and was very creative! But art is subjective and this is my art.”

12 Likes

Thanks! TheHeritageOhio came from my Twitter name. I have a store in Ohio called Heritage General Store so that’s where that came from. My company tagline is “Honoring the Past in the Present - Leaving a Legacy for the Future” My husband and I have 12 children so you could say heritage and legacy are pretty important to us. Glad it has a good vibe!

3 Likes

Thanks for your encouragement and input. I will try to keep it all in perspective and not take the rejection too personally! I have started narrowing down the number of contests I’m entering and focusing on the ones I seem to be on the same page with. Once I get my first win, I think the rejection will be a little bit easier. I’m just amazed at some of the people who have won so many contests! They are amazing!

2 Likes

[quote=“TheHeritageOhio, post:7, topic:1633, full:true”]
Well, I just passed the 3 month mark so maybe I’m due
[/quote] That’s EXACTLY how I’m approaching it now. I’m going to hit something in the next few days, and maybe get on a streak. Look Out!

3 Likes

The way I look at this is it’s simply a word game that I love to play. So many others online play facebook games for years and online games for years and never get paid for it. They do it because it’s fun. So when I do these name contests it’s to have fun. Winning is simply icing on the cake. The more you play the better you get and when one day you win, and you will win, you’ll be jumping for joy. I started on other naming sites in 2012 and didn’t get my first win for 6 months but when I did finally win it was $600. I’ve been doing this for 4 years and have barely made over $23,000, so unless you’re a genius, which I am not, this is just an extra curricular activity. At least for me. But I love it. And it can make you smart too, from all the research. Remember to just enjoy yourself and before you know it you’ll get your win. God bless and good luck :whale2:

6 Likes

And before you know it, you’ve WON. Congrats on “SnapFlow” Laura E.

6 Likes

Thanks @OMGOMG I was very surprised by that. I was expecting another one of my 4 month dry spells again, .I hope you get a win here soon too!

4 Likes

Twelve children?? And you have the time to be on SH naming? You must really know how to manage your time… lol! Congrats and welcome!

2 Likes

I was also on here 3 months before I got a win. Before that, SH had awarded me a partial prize (randomly) and a partial prize because I was 1 of 3 "Love It’ ratings in an abandoned contest. It was great to win those SH awarded prizes, but it felt oh so much better to have my name actually chosen by a CH! It’s now been about 6 weeks since that win, and I’m just hoping to get another. But right now I’m feeling sorry for myself because it seems that when I do get a “Love It” rating, the CH either picks another name, or just abandons the contest. I wish I didn’t feel disappointed and frustrated, but I do. This site is so addictive, and I’m just dying to see one of my names on a product or website! :smile:

2 Likes