Announcing: Name Genome Project

Several of you have asked good questions about the Instant Recommendations feature which we plan to launch this week. I am starting a new topic, to provide a greater level of insights into how the instant recommendations will work and how they fit into our Name Genome project, which we are extremely excited about.

First and foremost, this is a Beta program, and it will go through multiple iterations of improvements, based on the learnings, as well as feedback, from our key constituents: our creative community and our contest holders.

Secondly, participation in this program is entirely optional.

The initial phase of this program will actually require an “opt-in” instead of “opt-out”–which means that if you do not wish to participate in this program, you do not need to take any action. Only if you “opt-in” to this program, your previously submitted names will be eligible for participation in this program.

So how does it work?

As you might be aware, our creatives have submitted more than 4 million names in our platform. Many creatives have submitted thousands of names, and they may not be able to easily recall their past names that might be a good fit for the current contest they are about to enter. We have been working on a sophisticated technology that evaluates “characteristics” of previously submitted names using several factors (such as business category of contest, style of name, type of name, country of contest holder, ratings received in previous contests etc) so that we can determine potential name recommendations for new contests that are looking for names in similar categories.

The recommendations will be offered in two ways:

1. Instant Recommendations to contest holders:

These recommendations will be offered automatically by evaluating previously submitted names of creatives who have opted into this program. The recommendations will be offered to contest holders in a different tab, and they will have the ability to “import” any of these recommendations to their contest. Once these recommendations are imported, these become normal entries, just like any other entries in the contest.

This option is suitable for those creatives who may have previously submitted a lot of entries, but do not have the time to participate in every new contest. This option allows you to let the platform recommend your submissions on your behalf, and therefore, continues to offer the ability to potentially win new contests without explicitly entering those contests. You can still submit additional entries to those contests (these automatic recommendations will not count against your limit).

On the other hand, if you like to have greater control over your submissions (for example, if you would like to keep track of which names were shown to which contest holders), this feature may not be a good fit for you. Specifically, you will not be able to report any domain registrations that might happen if the names were recommended in certain contests (since these recommendations will dynamically change over time). If, however, the contest holder imports the entry to their contest, it would be treated as any other entry, and you will have the ability to track the entry as well as perform other actions such as reporting a domain registration.

If you would like to opt in to this program, you will need to go to My Account page, and click on “Automatically show my past entries as recommendations in new contests.” This option will be available in your account page within the next few days, once this feature is live.

If you do not wish to participate in this program, you do not need to take any action.

1. Smart Recommendations to Creatives

In the near future, we will also be adding a smart recommendation feature for creatives. This option will be available at the time of submitting entries to new contests. You will be able to see “smart recommendations” from your previously submitted entries that might be a good fit for the current contest. You will then be able to decide whether or not to submit those recommended names to the current contest. These names will be submitted just like any other entries, and will come with similar tracking as if you were submitting a new name yourself. We are simply recommending some potential names and leaving the decision to you whether or not to submit them into the contest. This feature will not be available immediately. We will announce when we have added this to the platform.

We are excited about both the above features and we believe that this will not only offer additional monetization opportunities to the creatives, but will also allow Contest holders to choose from an expanded set of high-quality name suggestions.

Please note that we will continue to work on improving our algorithms, as we collect more data and learnings from our initial implementation.

As always, we welcome any feedback and questions from all of you.

Automatic Recommendations

How will it work for an entry that was submitted by several creatives? Over time, many creatives have the same type of thinking and have entered the same names into different contests, so how will it decide who to give the entry to? Or is there a way to block those entries from being submitted since there are several “owners” of it?

This is AWESOME! Thank you!!!

Grant, would you mind answering the questions I had in the other post that have not already been answered by this one?

it seems to be really complicating something that should be easy

• someone starts a contest
  • we enter names
  • they choose a winner

unfortunately they often dont choose a winner so is this going to help anyone ?

Grant, Would this apply to those names where we have categorized by the drop down menus or for all of our names (if we opt in). I am asking this because if we did not want a name included we just would categorize it?

Best wishes.

Thanks for all the great questions regarding this new program. I think this should cover all current questions :slight_smile:

• If a name is entered in an active contest, it will not be recommended in another one.

• What if the same name has been entered by multiple creatives? We will recommend names based on a Suitability Algorithm, which will consider such things as CH rating, original contest type, name classification, and more. The same name submitted by multiple Creatives will be “tagged” differently in the system. The algorithm will recommend names based on these unique “tags,” which are linked to one creative, who will be the winner if the name is selected.

• This is currently an all or nothing program. You cannot restrict names from being included at this time. Since name style and type are only part of the selection process, names will be served that do not have these classifications. Also, your classifications will continue to be used in future features. Therefore, we encourage you to classify your names. If you have names that you want to protect, we recommend using the My Registered Domains feature in your account.

• Currently, you will not know if your name is recommended, but you will know when your name is liked by a CH and moved into an active contest.

• With each name recommendation, we will automatically include the comments enter upon initial submission. In the future, we will add the ability to update your comments in the My Entries section.

• Can we add the ability for Creatives to choose which type of businesses they believe a name will align with? One of the “tags” we will use to recommend names is Business Type, which is entered by the CH in their brief–so at this point, we do not believe this is necessary.

• We will consider adding Foreign Words as a Name Style.

Specifically, you will not be able to report any domain registrations that might happen if the names were recommended in certain contests (since these recommendations will dynamically change over time). If, however, the contest holder imports the entry to their contest, it would be treated as any other entry, and you will have the ability to track the entry as well as perform other actions such as reporting a domain registration.

If I am to understand this right…SH would automatically submit names they deemed appropriate for the contest. If the CH like it, they could move it into their contest as an entry. But, if they don’t move it and register it, the creative would have no recourse. Is that right?

Also, would the creative be notified what entries SH submitted to the CH?
If not, I could see this becoming a problem with the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

Grant,
Sometimes comments are specific to a CH. I am wondering if it would be possible for us to be able to edit comments before this goes live. For example, I created a name that was very specifically because of something about a CH and said that in the comments. (Just an example). There are also times when the comment is in response to something the CH has said on another entry.It would be confusing to a new CH.

Also, would it make sense for us to just withdraw entries that are not suitable for recommendation? I gave an example of this before but here it is again: A prior CH wanted recommendations for names held by brokers. In order to submit those names, we had to alter our submissions in weird ways like adding numbers, etc. A new CH would look at those and wonder why the heck those names were recommended. Also, we had to explain in Comments on that contest how much those domains cost. I can just withdraw all those names to keep them out of the pool, if that would work.

Thanks so very much. I am really excited about this.

@Grant… Will SH offer up ANY names of a specific category to ANY Prize amount contest?

What I mean is, I have a few names I created, that I feel have a higher ‘dollar’ value and I will ONLY enter them into the higher prize contests.

Does this mean SH algorithms will offer those (IMHO high dollar) names into any contest that fits the criteria regardless of prize amount?

I’m thinkin’ that well used ‘AdvantEdge’ name is gonna drive your algorithmic bot crazy LOL

@Grant The concept seems great, not having to work as hard because I’ve already put in the work and research. However, my concern with this is that “Golden names” submitted by creatives being compromised without possibility of payout from Non-guaranteed contests using this feature. Another concern is with over 4 million names submitted it seems as though it will be even more difficult for participating creatives submitting against a Bot.

Example1: 5 years ago creative123 entered a few contests and now their name is chosen by CH, Although creative123 has not participated in any contests in the past few of years or more.

Example 2: Bot chooses 5 names from CreativeXYZ but CreativeZYX has 0 entries. Creatives have no way of knowing what is being given out, when or where. (not very transparent in my opinion)

I also have this same question, @LisaMac “SH would automatically submit names they deemed appropriate for the contest. If the CH like it, they could move it into their contest as an entry. But, if they don’t move it and register it, the creative would have no recourse. Is that right?”

Maybe this could be used as a premium feature, only available for guaranteed contests of higher than a certain amount or Squadhelp managed contests?

Opt-in to Recommendations Now
Register for this new program on your Account Details page. We suggest you do this as soon as possible–so the algorithm can start analyzing your names. We will beginning recommending names to a small group of CHs tomorrow.

Answers to Recent Questions

-We will only show Recommendations to Guaranteed Gold and Platinum contests.

-Based on your feedback, we will not show your original entry comments with Recommendations, and we will build “Comments for Recommendations” within your My Entries tab shortly.

-We will continue to optimize the algorithm to ensure that only high-quality, relevant names are recommended.

-Currently, to keep a specific name out of the Recommendations program, withdraw the name after a contest winner is selected. In the near future, you will be able to exclude specific names within your My Entries tab.

-It will always be Squadhelp’s policy that a CH must select you as the Contest Winner, or award you a bonus of no less than $50, in order to use one of your submissions. It does not matter if the name is submitted directly to a contest or via the Genome Project. We always encourage you to use the My Owned Domains feature for names that you believe to be particularly valuable. With great names been registered by the 10s of thousands every day, this allows you to secure your prized names until they are selected by a CH.

-With this new program (and really with all participation in SH) you need to weigh the risk vs reward. The reward of participating with Squadhelp comes with some risks–this is true with most things in life. Please take the time to make a definite decision that this program is right for you, before enrolling.

For those who would have to look up Gold and Platinum like I did, in Contestant world that means only contests with $200-$300 awards. :wink:

@Grant question: Will the system only recommend names that have been categorized? It’s a lot of names to go through and I do want to do ALL of them, not just he highest rated ones. I’ve gotten pretty far but still have a long way to go.

@Commulinks The system will take many factors into account beyond style and type, so it will recommend names that are not categorized.

Ugh I was always a lazy categorizer. So names with no categories assigned in past won’t get recommended?

Hi @sobeadit! I just asked SH this same question and they said that un-categorized entries will be submitted as well, but there is a higher chance of submission if they are categorized. Hope this helps!

@grant
While going through my entries to categorize, what about names that have been registered either reported or not? I assume they won’t be considered as it would make them dead in the pool so to speak. My unreported names I’ve discovered are past the 30 day mark, so I just don’t even try to match them to anything anymore. Your thoughts? Thanks.