An idea about Best Entries

A perennial complaint of creatives is never getting their entries rated. Best entries are supposed to be the best in a particular creative’s opinion, which ATM are rather useless. How to kill two birds with one stone?

My new idea is that before a contest holder can see or rate other entries, he should first mandatorily rate all the “Best entries” that have been submitted to the contest so far. Once he has rated all the best entries so far, he can see and rate other entries. This way, the contestants are guaranteed feedback on at least 1 or 2 of their entries and best entries are made useful once more.

Best entries could be reduced to just one if Squadhelp feels that having to rate 2 entries per contestant overwhelms contest holders.

3 Likes

Good thoughts lightless and I know what you mean. It’s funny though, I’ve never even had a best entry win although every single one has been “seen”. And if I were to go back through contests I did win and select what I thought were my best , the winning one would likely not have won…lol . I also wonder with seen but unrated entries if they occur because the CH does not want to hurt our feelings. Here we said it was our best and they hated it . Awkward lol

3 Likes

Think every or darn near every time i marked a BE it was Nahd,

2 Likes

My “Best Entries” in my own mind tend to be plays on words that the CH doesn’t necessarily understand or that might be too quirky for the company’s vision. In my own mind, they’re the perfect metaphor. But the CH wants something easily understood, so they generally don’t appreciate them as much!

4 Likes

Here’s an addendum idea, the contest holder MUST provide at least one or two words of directional feedback if they “Nah” best entries. Like “Too long”, “Too casual” or something like that.

5 Likes

Another thought along those lines…I have been frustrated when a CH abandons contests early and sometimes will not rate a single one of my names…and often, hasn’t even looked at any of my names. Makes it kind of inequitable when the abandoned contest award goes to the 10 people who were lucky enough to get rated…or even have their entries seen.

5 Likes

I believe THAT was the reason Best Entry was introduced, for those that were ‘late’ to the game, who never got rated thus never get the chance to be picked by SH.

Now we’re back to Square1, with SH picking from those who got in early and got ratings, but instead of one person getting picked it’s split up.

Most of the time, I’m late to the game, I look at a contest, see the CH rated some on Day1 and then hasn’t rated for days. I usually don’t bother since I’d have no chance at the award if CH did abandon it.

At least with BestEntry I had a shot…oh well.

I

4 Likes

I completely agree with everything you said except best entries were also suppose to serve the purpose of bringing attention to the entries you’re most proud of. But I learned a long time ago it’s pointless and a waste of points! I started using them only for abandoned contests and now it’s pointless. I too am always late to the game watch missed opportunity after missed opportunity. I sooo miss the old way :pensive: everyone had a fair shot!

2 Likes

Yep… I was the one that proposed the idea of Best Entry for abandoned contests and SHAdmin added the twist of allowing you to best entry during a contest. I too, never used it during the contest I only used it for abandoned ones.

2 Likes

I totally agree Annie. That is why I think the new procedure for abandoned contests is terrible. The CH rates a few, then gets tired of doing it, and those are the ones eligible to win!

1 Like

That is why Best entries were introduced in the first place, (back then) for those contests that didn’t rate through and only had a few oks or less

I appreciate the effort of eliminating prejudices with the use of the bot. But if you can’t deal with the prejudices of the contest holder in the first place, then this site may not be for you. I agree, go back to the old way, and include best entries, and let us live with SH admin judgments, just as we have to live with the CH’s judgment, like it or not.

1 Like