Abandoned Contests - Updated Rules

Signing up is super easy, but curiosity alone will only drive somebody to do so much. Any website can expect to have many accounts but significantly fewer active accounts (see: all of the Twitter accounts that never tweet).

3 Likes

After I won my first contest, I shared a link on facebook and had several friends and family members sign up. They entered one or two contests and never came back. They said they weren’t creative enough. So I think initially the desire to earn money brings in new people…and then curiosity…and then they may realize it’s not for them.

3 Likes

I am fine with new winners, but its those ones that enter 5-20 stop entering win one but never really come back after winning, or wins doesn’t come back for a month month and half , then suddenly returns enters 5 more and will win again you all can call it what you want just hope you" All “DONT CALL” it lucky

2 Likes

@seezall, Just to clarify, you are suspecting some sort of gaming or fraudulent activity from certain creatives who have won multiple contests on Squadhelp? Can you please share the list of those winners privately?

There are only three scenarios where someone could game the system AND win multiple contests from different contest holders:

1. Different contest holders have somehow colluded to pick the same winner over and over.
  2. Same CH has created multiple accounts, launched multiple contests and awarded the same winner.
  3. SH is in on the collusion, and has awarded the contest to those winners across multiple contests (or perhaps even launched fake contests)

Can you share what specific scenario you are referring to. We are happy to discuss this privately if you are more comfortable discussing it privately. However, given the implications of some of these issues, it might be best to discuss them as openly as possible (without publicly mentioning the names of the actual creatives you might be concerned about)

1 Like

It seems the reason for this is to eliminate the e-mails from creatives asking why their name wasn’t selected.

Well, it’s only normal to wonder why. This very same thing happened to me this morning with an abandoned contest. The name that won sounded more like a Cloud-Based Internet company except for the last word in the name and it was a dot com with a country code and my name in the running sounded a lot more like the name the CH was seeking and it was a dot com. The first thing I did was wonder why, but I didn’t send an e-mail. The second thing I did was to click on the winners name to hopefully view a picture to see if there was any family resemblance to anyone working at SH. No, no, I didn’t click to see if they looked like anyone at SH. :smile:

But you know, if we were all employees and we came into SH’s office and you all saw us everyday, would you think it too time consuming if we ask why SH selected Jane’s name and not mine, what did you guys see that I didn’t? Jane is just a made up name and if we ALL came to work everyday, you would have to have a huge office. But I am hoping that you get my point.

Just because we are avatar’s next to letters doesn’t mean that we don’t have the same questions that any in-person employee would have.

1 Like

I think there’s difference between a person asking for constructive criticism and implying foul play because they didn’t win. If Jim burst into the manager’s office and said, “You only picked Jane’s work because you’re sleeping with her!!!” Jim would be fired.

If Jim said something as helpful as what you just suggested, I don’t think SH would interpret it as a sign that they were not being fair or transparent.

1 Like

If people are rude, then that’s a separate problem that could easily be dealt with, like a 3 strikes and you’re out sorta thing. This is the policy that a competitor which may or may not also be in Chicago uses.

Dan I sent over the first one that comes to mind privately, yes I believe even with systems in place it does happen, And no I am not a conspiracy theorist and believe you all have gone above board on the info I sent via the blue button, are situations where SH should Step in and do the 2-4 way random split.

1 Like

sorry but you would enter a few names if you were that curious

everyone i sent here won within two months so Im not sure what that says - I sent lots by the way

@seezall Conspiracy theories aren’t always wrong, sometimes we see a pattern happening (what humans are good at), but we do not see a big enough picture to make the theory useful or practical. We are humans after all. Unless we have some super power to metaphorically fly up 30,000 feet to view the big behemoth picture that is the Internet, we cannot, unfortunately we only have human powers. Conspiracy theorists are the ones stuck with the theory too long and too much for their own good, which you are not. You are still banging out the names! You are keeping a look out along your way. Thank you for that.

The Internet abounds with, let’s call them opportunists, it’s nothing new. If it’s not the Internet they’ll be elsewhere. It’s naive to think they don’t exist or aren’t eyeing the brightest site around. The problem is it’s too late when you finally determined that something had gone wrong, they’ll be Internet-miles away. It’s better to deter them by carefully studying them, and how they are different from well-meaning people. That is where SH comes in, and I think are going a great job, but it’s a long journey.

Just my 2-Internet-cents.

3 Likes

Thanks @seezall . The example you shared was for a creative who has won one contest. We will certainly investigate as we always do for first time contest winners. If you come across any other examples especially when someone has won multiple contests but you think something is fishy, please share and we will look into it immediately.

2 Likes

Well said front ) I did want to ask in a contest where there are 4 love its, shared by 3 creatives Creative A has 2/4 love its creative b/c each have 1 assuming its a 200 prize pool does creative A get 100 while creative B/C each get 50

2 Likes

Whatever, I say. For the last year or so, I have negative luck at Squadhelp. Never won with best entries, never picked by Squadbot, my best names are rated “Nah” and so on …

Even if Russian Roulette is used to pick winners, I am game.

1 Like

Or 2-bitcoins, perhaps ? :wink:

1 Like

Exactly. If you were that curious. It takes more curiosity to wait until a contest is assigned to you, read the brief (reading is a lot of work for some people), and then to submit a name than it takes to fill out a simple sign up form.

The nature of the internet is that people can do things really fast without any dedication to it. They can flit from interest to interest at the speed of their WiFi connection. Every site has different metrics for active users and total user base.

This is especially true for people who are looking to make some quick bucks online. A lot of them are looking for a fast, effortless thing and they try out 20 different things at once. The SH interface and language makes it seem like you actually have to put some brain power into making any money. For people looking to click a button and earn some cash, it’s natural that they’ll wander off pretty quickly. Combine that with other ways to make money online that give faster returns and SH can quickly get pushed to the wayside and never returned to for a lot of people who are just casting their nets out.

1 Like

I don’t know about anyone else but reading alot of these posts makes me feel I don’t measure up. I am very thankful to have the opportunity to participate on this site and more than appreciative of my successes. I am feeling alot of animosity, so think I will stick to just being a great creative (eventually) …

4 Likes

Yeah…I agree. I have been getting more and more that I keep to myself and just hope some of my names hit now and then.

2 Likes

@CherryPopNames you make a lot of good points but I still stand by my opinion that creatives should be anonymous until they’ve won! For one thing in your scenarios of jobs etc of course someone would want to know someone’s history and worth. They’re asking them to join they’re team and be relied upon and consistently paid. Thats simply not the case here. They’re not trying to hire individual creatives and work with them indefinitely, they’re just picking their brain for ideas. The best creatives can submit bad names and vice versa which is why I find the author to be irrelevant in this case.

But again I see where you’re coming from and totally respect it, just don’t agree :slight_smile:

I’d also like to say, anytime I felt I’ve lost due to someone’s impressive history, that doesn’t mean I didn’t think the winning name was worthy!!! It would be silly to think a CH is picking a cruddy name over a good one because another creative has won more!

Which brings me to @moretal

I’d just like to clarify I never said Jackie or anyone else doesn’t deserve their wins, nor have I (imo) whined about not winning…publicly anyways :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I did say I felt I’ve lost some due to someone having a better history than me. I didn’t think that was whining tho. That was just an opinion.

But I’d like to explain this in more detail. I do agree that if it’s down to a few names the CH isn’t checking profiles to make their desicion. However, I have felt on so many occasions that the winning name was no better/no more creative than some of mine. Even sometimes very similar yet mine gets the lowest rating and theirs wins. It has led me to wonder why the same creatives continuously win with names that don’t always wow everybody??

The only thing that makes sense to me is the creatives win total etc.

Here is a scenario to show how I feel this negatively affects me and others:

I imagine a CH viewing a name submitted by me and maybe being on the fence about it, then noticing I’ve only won 3 contests decides they’re not that into the name. Then the next day the same CH looks at a name from someone else that is almost identical to mine, and again, they’re on the fence about it. But this time they see the creative has won 20 contests. The CH then decides to give it a decent rating because this person must be doing something right!! (This may sound silly to some…but I truly think it happens…often)

Again, this is just the type of scenario that I imagine happening. I imagine it happening enough so that I’d like to see how things go if it were anonymous.

I’m not trying to whine, and I’ll be the first to tell y’all I’m not very creative, and I have :wink: but I want to feel like we’re all playing on a level playing field, and I won’t feel that way unless ONLY entries are judged.

Plus, if there is no validity in what I say, then those same creatives will still prevail anyway, so what do we have to lose going anonymous? What is the draw back? I personally can’t think of one.

1 Like

I think this topic has now moved past its original purpose, and has morphed into a debate about several other issues :smile: . Therefore, I am closing this topic and encourage everyone to start a new topic if you would like to continue a discussion about any other issues. Please refrain from using any pointed language when referring to a group of creatives - lets keep the discussions civil and constructive. This forum is here to promote constructive dialogue and I sense some posts turning a bit hostile. We are honored to have such an amazing group of creatives and we respect and appreciate everyone’s unique perspectives that can help us improve as a platform.

3 Likes