A no-thank-you on the shortlist?

Confusing, but I’ll take it.

Good thing I didn’t delete the submission.

3 Likes

I’ve won a $500 contest on a no thank you. I just think some CHs don’t consider the purpose of the ratings on the creative side. Which baffles me. How else do they expect us to know if we’re on the right track or not? Sorting and feedback shouldn’t be one in the same. It’s confusing!!!

Changing the wording of two ratings could clear up much of the contradictions within the rating system. Unfortunately, everytime wording is brought up and change is offered it’s focused on feelings getting hurt and how to break it to the creative gently rather than making the ratings a universal language between CHs and creatives.

5 Likes

I agree about the universal language emphasis being placed into the ratings system and the need for them to change based on such instead of personal feelings. It just seems that everyone has different understandings of the wordings as they are right now and interpret them in different ways. If there was a more concise perspective on each word perhaps that could not only help creatives to feel better and understand their own ratings but could help CHs as well. However, as it is right now, it just seems best to go with the flow and definitely be happy when situations like this pan out. :slight_smile:

Hi @Chasity2ku - Happy to hear more your vision for updates to the rating system. Please post here or send directly via that Chat button. Thanks.

3 Likes

@grant Are you sure about that? Lol
I feel like I’d be beating a dead horse as I’ve posted my idea in the forum several times. I actually posted when y’all recently asked for suggestions on the possible new wording of “no, thank you”.

Still interested? Lol I’d be happy to share again :smiley: (Just don’t wanna waste my time on a moot point)

2 Likes

I just went back through the forum and read some of your past comments related to ratings. What I found most interesting is your argument for the importance of honest and clear feedback through the No thank you ratings.

Are you saying I was advocating the wording not be changed? If so, please quote me.

I totally agree, @Rareworthy. And @Grant, I think it boils down to what is really meaningful to both the CH and the creatives. The loves and likes are meaningful. They tell us that the names are being considered as winners. ONTRT is completely meaningless except that it is a way for a CH to be polite. Without any other feedback on what is OTRT about it, there’s no way for us to glean anything from that. No Thanks are meaningful to us in that it just says the name is not being considered, but doesn’t tell us why and so often the CHs do not post even broad explanations in messages to everyone. Recently there was a contest where the CH rejected every single name. I asked in public message that they give us new direction. No response. I hate to see a CH just waltz away like that.

All that said, I know I have thought a lot about how to make the rating system both expedient for the CH and meaningful to us for direction and I am kind of at a loss. I don’t like to point out a problem without some kind of solution! It’s not my style! But “maybe” ONTRT should force an explanation with a little blank box next to it to fill in why. And I think I have said this before but I wonder if the algorithm could kick in if the CH is rejecting a certain number of entries and force an explanation in messages? The same sort of holds true if a CH rates everything ONTRT with no loves or likes, etc.

This whole thing must drive the SH team nuts. It’s not that we are being whiney, it’s just that we really would like something meaningful out of the ratings. You never know when you might come back with a name you never would have thought of because a CH gave feedback.

5 Likes

Yup…what she said :roll_eyes:

Awhile back somebody (don’t remember who) said it perfectly about no thank yous…it could apply to EVERY SINGLE ENTRY except the winner.

How is that helpful in guiding creatives?

2 Likes

Exactly, I have found that feedback with the last two ratings at least usually makes it somewhat better. I also realize that after a year of doing this that leaving feedback for every single entry is probably hard on CHs. But, I don’t change my opinion that it takes time and effort both on creatives and CHs, the more time and effort that each on puts in, the better it seems the result for everyone involved. For me, I agree with @Chasity2ku that if there were a better language within the rating system, it would be better. I think, as it is right now, that with the language of NTYs that the CH may think that they don’t have to enter any feedback because it’s a mean, angry, orange smiley that clearly dictates that they are displeased and that should be the end of it. But, in some cases, knowing why it is a definite no would help. Maybe on the right track dictates that the NTY should be ‘Wrong Direction’ ‘Doesn’t Fit’ ‘Not for me’ or something of the sort and on the right track should include a mandatory feedback box so we can get more direction of how it was on the right track but why it wasn’t enough for a like.

This is in no way trying to be over critical, just trying to brainstorm out what may be helpful. Maybe others could chime in as well on this, I’m not sure. I agree, though, that the language is confusing if it’s not utilized as an opportunity for constructive criticism or comments and feedback from the CH so we don’t get the last two ratings and get the wind knocked out of our sails with no explanation and have no feedback to build from to continue to brainstorm. So many times I have received a line of OTRTs or NTYs and offered a paragraph or two of explanation for every entry and don’t get one word as a response from the CH so then can’t do anything else because I don’t know where I went wrong in comparison to where they may want to go. Whereas if the same has happened and I got feedback I was then able to turn around and FINALLY land a couple likes or even love its because then I understood what they WEREN’T looking for and why my entries missed the mark.

1 Like

Really well put, @rareworthy

I think asking the CH to write a bit about every entry they don’t like, is asking a whole lot of them. I believe that if a comment becomes mandatory for their OTRT or NTY entries, we will find more entries not rated at all. Trying to see it from the CH point of view. If my time is limited and I have to comment on every entry I don’t like, then I would just skip them and only rate the ones that I connect with. Image getting 900 entries and having to tell each entry why theirs does not work for your business. I think it would bring back a lot of CH burnout with them being overwhelmed and possibly abandoning the contest all together. Just my two cents worth :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I agree. We’d end up getting lots of copy-and-paste responses (which are both annoying and useless). I’d rather draw my own conclusions than receive those.

4 Likes

[quote=“LisaMac, post:12, topic:2269”]
Image getting 900 entries and having to tell each entry why theirs does not work for your business.[/quote]
This is why I think maybe the SH Team should intervene if the CH has received - Let’s say, 200 entries, and none of them have “hit the mark” of even an OTRT, at that point.

Perhaps one of the SH Admins could suggest that the CH update his or her Brief, or offer some guidance in the Comments section? :wink:

9 Likes

Wow! Chasity2ku, Congrats! on the win. And THANK YOU for letting us know you won a $500 contest on a “No, Thank You!” I’ve been deleting my NTYs as they come up, and now will think twice about that. Mevina

3 Likes

Hi Mevina, I just one a contest with a no thank you and there were 8 shortlisted, so I think it is worth leaving them if you can :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@mevina I know a lot of creatives delete a NTY or unrated names, Don’t. I have won with NTY where there were loves and likes and have also won with an unrated entry where there were loves/shortlist. You never really know what the CH will choose until they make their choice. Also if your entry with a NTY gets registered and you pulled it from the contest, you have no recourse to report it.

4 Likes

ChristyMay, me, too, just today I won my first SH contest, and with a name originally NTY or unrated, I forget. It must’ve grown on the CH. They later rerated it and another NTY, “Love it,” shortlisted these 2, and one of them won. What a lesson!

4 Likes

LisaMac, because of the name limits I’ve been one who deletes unrated or NTY names to replace them with others. After this I’m just moving onto another contest, there are so many! Good point about having no recourse to report a name that gets registered if it is withdrawn. Are you sure this is the case? I ask because there is a record of the withdrawn entries, too.

1 Like

Big Congrats to you @Mevina :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada: that is Awesome !!!

5 Likes