2 creative have entered same name

Didn’t “Sockfy” win, as i recall?

There was a “Sockfy,” Bill. I don’t recall when you joined SH, but I think it won more than a few months ago. The earlier “SoleMate(s)” winner was from a contestant named “Jonivee” who I haven’t noticed as a submitter lately.

@Chasity2ku, It’s not for the reasons you mentioned. The bottom line, apart from the stringency of the originality clause, is the trademark protection issues that theoretically follow with each winning name. The wide scope of IP protection rights is such that it extends to all potential categories within which a given name can be trademarked irrespective of the profile under which a contest is conducted. So, having two CH falling for the same name can bring about competition between clients vying for trademark protection at the same time. That’s been our praxis to observe a reasonable waiting period (of 6 months or so), giving a CH plenty of time to claim the name, before a name previouslyawarded in an abandoned contest could be resubmitted again.

1 Like

dataEdge won within a couple of months of each other so Im unsure what the policy is

a lot would depend on which country you wanted to use the name in, for which industry etc, some common shop names that you may think are trademarked are not etc

1 Like

Yeah, I won with that name a few months back. I don’t think exact winning names should be able to win again with respect to the previous CH. But, That’s just my opinion. :scream:

2 Likes

it does tell you that it won before but you can still enter it(and win with it) so Im not sure what the purpose is

2 Likes

I just think that since a CH already bought and paid for a name that it should be out of commission for anyone else to use regardless of TM issues ect. If I held a contest and chose a name and saw ( my name) given to someone else also I would be angry. But, like I said, just my opinion.

1 Like

Since many contest holders allow for a domain name that is different on the name of their company they must be very aware that the name has been used and they are fine with it. If they want a truly unique name then they can just ask for an exact domain. I agree, the same name should not be used for the same business type, but Sole Mates, for example, being the name for sock store, and also the name for a dating service for people with foot fetishes, I think would be fine. :wink:

5 Likes

In the real world, there are many companies with the same name or similar name: Lowe’s Foods (goes by Lowe’s) is owned by a North Carolina Family. Lowe’s Home Improvement (goes by Lowe’s). Loew’s Theatres (goes by Loews). So I don’t think we should strictly ban the use of a name if they are truly different companies. But I think that it should be out of commission for 6 months or so on SquadHelp. That way the company that purchased the name can get all of their ducks in a row, trademarks if necessary, websites, etc. before there is a competitor or other company trying to do the same thing with that same name.

2 Likes

@vision I don’t believe for a second the people I was referring to deem these names unworthy because of trademark issues, and neither should you because they make it clear they are simply unimpressed, never once complaining about trademarks.

Anyway, I feel no need to drive my point back on path. It’ll just get driven right back off. I’m gonna park it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I agree with that but what I’m saying is that since that came here( SH) for their name, than the name they chose here should be exclusively theirs here, where they purchased it at least. Especially with really unique names that only one of our super creatives thought up. They should at least have it exclusively theirs on this site which is what they paid for.

5 Likes

Informing the CH that the name had won before (when, where, and what industry) might do the trick. I wonder if this being done right now, in addition to informing contestants.

3 Likes

@Front That’s funny, lol. Dan just announced the CH will know the name previously won. Which I think is a great idea.

1 Like

@Tammy lol I just saw it.

1 Like

Hollygirl, thanks for being kind and understanding with ur response. Good luck

I know it’s frustrating dear.Best of luck and hang in! :0)