Maybe Change the No, Thank You option

It really sounds like a great idea, Front. I would love all that feedback. But with many entries in a contest, I don’t know how many CH’s would care to be that analytical.

3 Likes

@auntshommy I have a feeling many ‘well-meaning’ CHs will appreciate something that makes sense – moves the process forward, that helps them have a more apropos voice – over something merely easy or simple or seem nice. I think for the CH the thought of commenting on each and every entry is dauntingly overwhelming, scary even, so we use a little tech to give them a hand. If they do not want to explain their "No, thank you"s then they don’t have to. If they want to give a reason it’s there for their convenience. It’s optional.

@LauraE I too do not want to be penalized. Just that I believe a contest isn’t a contest without penalties. Sometimes I’m confused if this is a Contest or a Service. Is this Work or is this Play. It’s certainly a bit of both, I just don’t want to see it become all work and no play :wink: Anyway, I’m not thinking of going back to the old way of punishing each entries, what I have in mind is say if a contestant entered 50 names and all of them are "No, thank you"s then maybe get a slap on the wrist like -50 points? :grimacing: But if you were able to get just 1 OnTRT out of the 50 then no penalty at all.

1 Like

@VelocityGirl Yes I agree that strange don’t mean it’s bad.

1 Like

I would be happy with a just 2 options. Keep and No. I am just happy to get any kind of rating. It is kind of a drag when a contest is getting close to ending and your entries have not been rated at all. I have some more good ideas but can not present them till I can make room for them by withdrawing what the client does not like.

3 Likes

May something could be written by SH where contest holders sign up to the effect that nahing everything stiffles creativity.You are more likely to get better names by telling people they are on the right path in some way, rather than the ubiquitous nah .

A little encouragment goes a long way - I tend to give names more thought if I receive a bit of hope

4 Likes

@Chasity2ku, If you think that not following the brief is the major faux pas a namer can commit, you might want to reconsider by refreshing the memory of the rating guidelines that not so long ago steered us:

1 Star: If contestant didn’t follow the rules as outlined in the contest brief
2 Stars: If contestant followed the brief, but the submission is not a good fit at all
3 Stars: Contestant is on the right track but I neither love nor hate this entry
4 Stars: Could be what I’m looking for. Overall, a very good entry
5 Stars: Love this entry and it could be one of the winners.

From the above is your interpretation of 3, 4, or 5 star-rated entries such that it presupposes the brief was followed (it’s implied the need be followed, but the implication as an expectation to follow the brief is a default condition) ? :wink:

2 Likes

…and many times completely ignoring the brief gets you a win lol

3 Likes

That may be the rating guidelines, but CH’s are not using the guidelines when rating names almost all of the time.

1 Like

@Jose, this is a good suggestion. I will be adding a “WIKI” shortly about what tips to give a CH when they are launching a contest, or after they have launched a contest. Please add this and any other idea to that topic.

1 Like

Or else the guidelines could have been written by a programmer, though in a natural language format :wink: (Sorry, @Dan, it’s a joke on all of us !)

2 Likes

@dan Can you recommend a good book on how to make a contest? Let us all read it first, then we’ll get back to you. :wink:

2 Likes

If I’m understanding you correctly I don’t feel a need to strictly follow the brief, and when I choose not to, it’s hard to tell if they didn’t lIke it because it’s just too off base, or because they didn’t like the words I picked or whatever.

For example, if I stray from the brief because I think I’ve come up with something stellar and the CH thinks it’s okay but not fond of the wording, they may rate it “no, thank you” or “on the right track” there’s no real distinction between the two.

Now, in the same scenario, the CH is most likely going to pick “on the right track” because reading the label “please consult the brief” doesn’t feel right as that’s not the issue. “On the right track” I think would be the natural selection in this scenario, which gives the creative a thumbs up to explore that direction more. Rating it a “no, thank you” could lead the creative to think there’s no promise in that direction.

In regards to the stars, that’s exactly how I want the ratings to be perceived, but it didn’t work well with the stars and mumbo jumbo explaining them. Most people grasp a 5 star rating and prob didn’t read each stars intended purpose.

I like the smiley/frowning faces with short and sweet guiding labels that are naturally read as they’re rating, such as what’s in place other than the sweet but useless “no, thank you”

1 Like

That’s per the star rule, not what I suggested. When I said I like the star method I meant I like how each star had a particular meaning. This didn’t work well tho because I’d assume most CH didn’t understand the SH meaning of the star ratings. They had their own default understanding of I like it this much so I’ll give it this many stars.

What I suggested would still have grey area but I feel it would cut down on the confusion and offer more guidance to the creatives, and further define the meaning of the rating.

1 Like

maybe we need two no thanks yous :wink:

No thank you its ■■■■
No thank you its not a bad name but I cant use it

:wink:

4 Likes

LOL 20…geez how many does it take

1 Like

Hmm… I think we should just go back to 5-star without negative points.

Use a sophisticated Quick-Comment feature to help CHs say things quickly and easily.

2 Likes

Quick Entry Tags

• Great, thanks.
  • Good, more please
  • Good, but too long
  • Good, but too many syllables
  • Good, but too short (lol)
  • Has negative connotations
  • Please explain more
  • Does not roll off the tongue
  • Already a name of competitor
  • Overly serious
  • Overly funny
  • Overly generic
  • Cliche
  • Lacking professionalism
  • … etc
  • [_________________________]

CHs can edit, add their own tags and reuse multiple times. Quick point and click targeted at individual entries. Each entry can have multiple tags.

2 Likes

Are the points used for anything now since the ‘Mark as Best Entry’ for abandoned contest isn’t applicable anymore? I guess we could still star our entries while the contest is still active. Does that get the attention of the CH? Is there a limit to how many can be starred per contest?

@dan announced here Abandoned Contests - Updated Rules - #10 by Dan

2. There are no more best entries for Abandoned Contests. Only if a CH asks us to gather Best Entries so they can focus on a smaller list to pick a winner, would we send out Best Entry invitations.

I think it’s still limited to 2 best entries per contestant.

Looking at that it’s not clear if we can still star best entries while a contest is running.

1 Like

1.No thank you but I will use it
2 No thank you its not the worst name Ive seen,but not the best
3 No thank you its terrible
4.No thank you - you have no talent for this

3 Likes