"Love it" for a while and then "No thank you"

@Brandshai you and I are definitely riding the same brainwave, surfs up! You’re thinking exactly how I have been for awhile now on both this thread and the other. As I have stated, CHs may be paying with money, but we are paying with time, intellect, creativity, and brain power; also just as if there were no CHs there would be no SH, there would be no SH if there were no creatives. So if there are small requirements for us, and small processes we must do, I think it would help SH, CHs, and creatives if minute things such as this were implemented. Rating entries allows for more creativity to not only be generated but allowed to be used by creatives and most CHs don’t know that most creatives are limited on how many entries they can give and in order to give more, there has to be ratings. It would also help in the process if CHs are locked into the extreme choices because this psychologically conditions them to process the entries more carefully and thereby unquestionably make a better decision for themselves and it also helps with the not destroying of the spirits of those you are relying on for the help. If you’re going to make a pivotal decision that is this important for your brand, logo, website, tagline or product – you need to really process the suggestions or entries supplied to you, read the comments as to why they were supplied and rate and review so that you get more suggestions supplied to you that meet what you are seeking, and then stick to it. Simple process. If you’re wanting quality, you’ll devote time and effort to the process just as those that are making suggestions for you.

2 Likes

@Brandshai, @rareworthy:

Unfortunately we can not make the platform rigid such that the CH is not allowed to make changes to their ratings. A “No Thank you” doesn’t necessarily mean that they no longer like the name - it just means that the name is no longer in their consideration set. This can happen for many reasons. Many times, the person running the contest is not the only decision maker, and they have to get feedback from their peer group or partners about the names. So they might like some names initially, but after some additional research or brainstorming, they might decide the name doesn’t work for their business. In some cases, the name may not work because of potential Trademark checks, in other cases the name may not test well with their target audience. It is also possible that when they reflect on the name a bit more, they decide that the name is not a good fit for their business. Switching to “No Thank you” is simply an indication that they are no longer considering that name - and it is absolutely ok for them to do so.

We are not intending to change the rating system, but we will continue to explore additional means to allow the shortlisting of names an easy process for the CH. We will also continue to explore additional ways in which the CH can provide more feedback for their choice of rating to the creatives - however we have to be careful about adding extra steps, because that can lead to contest abandonment.

@rareworthy, we absolutely agree that our creatives are the main reason that makes this platform successful. This is why about 70% of our platform improvements are directly based on feedback from creatives.

Absolutely and for sure I don’t want to make this platform rigid. It’s like we all are coming up with our opinion, on how to improve this platform and then maybe a collective decision can help to solve this issue. I still feel these two extreme ratings should get locked, but not to make it a rigid platform we can introduce an “On hold” with a feedback or not. And then they can rate accordingly to their choice. Usually when we get a ‘No thank you’, we don’t get any feedback, so most of the time we all withdraw that entry thinking the CH didn’t liked it and I really don’t analyse on what could be the probable reason for getting such ratings and moreover we are not allowed to do so. I mean we are not allowed to question CH and I do agree with that.
What I feel, we don’t question CH and respect his/her decision, so in turn I think we all expect little or maybe very little respect from CH in terms of by rating our entries in a fair manner. We not only get a ‘Love it’ rating, most of us also also get a lovable comment with it and then suddenly goes to ‘No, thank you’, without any reason… that truly hurts!! So, I feel a conscious decision is very much required while rating. :smile:
I suggest an ‘On hold’ option can solve this problem to some extent. So, that CH gets some space to think and then rate, specially in cases where they need to discuss with his / her peer group. Hope that make sense…

1 Like

@Brandshai you know, this idea is actually a bit genius, I really like it and it’s along the lines of things I have been thinking for awhile now. See, I am not only wanting something like this for my benefit or even just creatives benefits. I seriously feel and have noticed that there is a big opportunity being missed here when it comes to whats expected and how far expectations are taken here. I understand that if pushed too far there is a risk of abandonment, but instead of being worried about just abandonment by CHs, we should be worried about abandonment by creatives as well (in two very important ways).

The first way that a creative can abandon is by withdrawing all entries that had previously been submitted and by leaving the contest, the second way a creative can abandon is by things like this happening so much that they end up leaving the site. Now, I know, everyone is not cut out for this process and yaddah yah but at some point we have to realize that while there is a smooth combination of science, creativity, and luck involved in this it is not rocket science – a majority of creatives at some point should be able to hit a groove. So if this happens but then the process causes the creative to lose faith, feel like they aren’t being heard, aren’t understanding everything, and aren’t getting enough feedback to understand why certain things are the way they are or why certain things happen and also not even being able to count on their hard work even being noticed – thats going to make a heck of a turnover rate.

And this doesn’t just apply to one or two creatives, this is something that even the vets around here are saying they have experienced and have had small issues with. They’ve been here for years and built a reputation – knock on wood – what would happen if tomorrow those same creatives had a spur of luck on 5 contests where they entered an average of 3 names per contest and each of those entries received a high rating and then those entries went for days with that same rating then all of a sudden every single one became a no thank you with no feedback and no answer as to why. They then decided that enough was enough and with lack of feedback, lack of understanding, and knowledge that this can and most likely will happen again and again with lack of feedback – they decided to leave SH – that wouldn’t be as bad as a contest being abandoned? Here is someone that is a vet and has more than likely built a reputation of providing quality names and they choose to leave because this process is frustrating and there doesn’t seem to be anything on the horizon to keep this from happening or at least to know why.

In my opinion, this is something that is possible right now and can happen at any time, and may have already happened several times. Shouldn’t this signify that something at least a little bit of a bone should be given? As @Brandshai has said, it’s not only a respect issue but its something that can maximize efficiency all around. No, we don’t want a rigid platform, and no we don’t want to raise the probability of abandonment by too much … but abandonment by CHs is going to happen even if you required no steps from them to do to get what they want. To me, it’s important to not only worry about abandonment from them but worry about the lack of feedback and understanding and even ability to have faith in things to a certain extent around here making our creatives have second thoughts as well.

Creatives are spending hours and days ‘working’ to find a balance and meet the impossible notion of being mind readers 99.9% of the time to each CH and putting hours of effort behind the quality work they supply with no guarantee that they are going to be compensated for their hard work both monetarily and rating/feedback wise. One of these things will never be guaranteed but the other can be at least worked on to at least raise the probability of at least a pat on the back for all the work they do put into this via a rating that will stick, feedback, or something.

2 Likes

I had suggested a while back there be a discount or some sort of incentive for the CH to stay engaged.

For example maybe offer a 10% discount to CHs who rate 90% of entries before the contest closes or something…

1 Like

I agree that for the CH, choosing a name is a process that may involve more than one person, and that process should be made as easy as possible. I think the sorting options are actually quite good. When I get downgraded I like to think that the reason I went from love to hate was because the CH gave the name individual and thoughtful consideration, but decided against it. (Unless it was an immediate downgrade then that was probably a mistake). So, for me it’s not so much being downgraded by the CH that bothers me most (though that is a bummer), it’s that my points get taken away and my score is affected even though the name I submitted was good enough to be in the spotlight for a while and under serious consideration. I think creatives should get (or keep) some credit for contributing a name with some acknowledged merit. That would also allow creatives who submit names that appeal to CHs to submit more names.

3 Likes

Happened to me too. Guessed CH changed mind after seeing more entries.

I totally agree. Change your mind all you want but let’s recognize the fact we submitted a highly considered name that shouldn’t be demoted points wise because they decide not to go with it and just want it removed from their view.

Unfortunately, this was discussed a while back and SH disagrees and will only freeze ratings once the contest is closed. (Even though they can still be changed)

1 Like

Maybe have a button that hides it from that list of given ratings (like, love, etc) so instead of demoting it, it stays at that rating and is hidden from names still being considered.

That would allow CHs to TRULEY sort rather than use lower categories to get names they like and love but don’t or can’t use out of the way.

Ratings might actually have meaning across the board!!

I just had 3 love it’s after a contest was closed demoted to nah’s. Ouch!!!

2 Likes

They can do that!? :fearful: I’ve got one that I have 2 loves and 6 likes, but I’m going up against @lightless so I’m not holding my breath on it. I think I’d be devastated if those changed to the “uhhuh no ways”. I’m proud of those, gosh darn it! Arggghhh! Now, I do have one that was not rated when it closed and it moved up to a Love, so I don’t mind that, it’s just the other direction that will cause me to lie on the floor and throw a tantrum.

2 Likes

Apparently something is going on with ratings that we don’t know about or even that SH may not know about because for a few submissions I have had the same rating applied several times for one entry. o.O. This doesn’t make any sense. If you mark an entry as a certain rating, why several hours later would you mark it again with the same rating? How are these submissions being seen and why can’t the CHs see that they have already rated something one thing or another. Why would you rate the same submission the same thing without changing it to something else inbetween? I understand if you start with a like, change it to a nah, and then go back to like again (in example), but to mark the submission with the same rating several times … uh, what?

As far as everyone else’s replies, I agree with the lock system for the two extremes (Love and NO), and I also think we should get to keep our points if the CH picks it. I noticed awhile ago that we lose points for them changing their mind, why should we be penalized because of their indecision? It’s not like we messaged them and whatever we said made them change their mind. If it was thought to be good enough at one time then whatever happens after that is beyond our control and maybe the process of rating and processing names should be taken more seriously, which the lock system and other valuable suggestions would help with. :no_mouth:

1 Like

I recently had a submission rated “like it” then “on the right track” then “like it” then “no, thank you”, all in the SAME MINUTE. Who knows what’s going on “behind the curtain”. :smile:

1 Like

I looked at this post in hopes of finding out more information about the whole ‘switching likes’ thing. I think I learned what I needed to, and my opinion now is that the creative community is seeing something that isn’t there. The CH being able to switch is %100 the right way to go. If they read a name they like and are thinking about, they may very well choose that they ‘love it’. After they take some time to think about how that names looks, how they like saying it, how they present it in different situations - their opinion might change about the name. They are paying us to do a service they could do themselves and they have the right to roll around the names that they are offered.

Hi all,
Funny, I’m kind of glad (in an odd way) to see I’m not the only one feeling the pang when a name goes suddenly south. I agree with what Dan and others said about the ‘how and why’ of the selection process, and don’t get too terribly excited over a like/love rating because I know a lot of CHs use ratings as a sorting filter.
BUT…yesterday I not only got a ‘love’ rating for a name, but the CH also sent a PM to me saying “Brilliant! I really love this!” and this morning, it’s a ‘No Thank You’. Ouch lol

4 Likes

Yep, been there! :disappointed:

1 Like

Your name is still Brilliant, the CH just changed gears…hang onto that name for another time :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wow…I wonder if it was the same contest I had the exact thing happen to me! lol!

2 Likes

Even more bittersweet is getting bumped up to a five, after contest is ended and within 10 minutes the CH picks another name :open_mouth: ))) you will see it all if you stick around long enough, )))

5 Likes

Or worse is when they TELL you they love it and that you will be awarded the prize…then they pick someone else.

9 Likes