How Would You Improve The Site?

Under the insurance policy you would then be eligible for the split, still no guarentee the bot picks you, but it does provide a little reassurance, Question before you entered any entries(can read brief) in that contest would you have used say 500 points thinking you have a “nailed it” name

2 Likes

Fyi - you can already re-use names from abandoned contests even if you win the split award.

1 Like

Not if they have been bought

I have two ideas that are related and only one is something to ask of SH.
For contestants: I have noticed that there are only a few creatives who ask CHs questions even when there are blaring questions to be asked, like when enormous parts of the brief are blank or when the brief is hardly understandable. I think all of us should be ready to ask questions of the CH in a positive light to highlight missing aspects of the brief. "What kinds of names do you like? (and give examples, etc.) “What do you mean by… not too cheesy, wow factor, catchy, etc” I think we could really improve contests if we all took it as a responsibility to ask about information that is omitted.

For SH: It would be really cool if the message system for the CHs worked a little bit like this forum - where contestants could “heart” questions and comments from CHs AND from other contestants. It would make the CH feel like we are paying attention and that the questions are valid.

Thanks y’all.

3 Likes

True, but I don’t think that is what @15001aliq meant.

2 Likes

But names in split awards haven’t technically been bought…

1 Like

In general no, but say i had a name like" goodspins " get a nah in a contest , but winds up registeted private, i have zero recourse had i the oppurtunity to buy “insurance” for that contest , it would then in that case be eligible for the split, shsll it go to that, and since the domain is no longer available i can no longer offer it…so i would like some chance for compensation

3 Likes

Would SH consider having an employee welcome the CH to the contest in the messages area. almost like introducing the CH to us publicly. reminding them of the best practices for a successful contest. i’m spitballing but something like this:

“Welcome John Smith! We are excited that your contest is now live and underway. Please make sure you have filled out the brief in its entirety. This helps our creatives get a better idea of the type of name you’re looking for, words you do not want included , and examples of names you like. We hope you will enjoy this process and we encourage you to rate as many entries as possible. When you rate the entries it steers our creatives in the best possible direction towards finding your perfect name. You will be able to use this forum as way to communicate with creatives throughout the contest. Enjoy!”

5 Likes

I would like to ask (aka plead) with SH to change your policy on domain registrations. The policy states that when a name is entered in several contests, SH will only investigate the most recent one and doesn’t take into account that sometimes the domain registration actually does seem to match the CHs profile. So, that means a CH who is not the one who registered the domain might get the domain registration question from SH instead of the one who probably did register it. I would ask you to change the policy so that the contestant chooses the one they report the domain registration on if they think it matches - especially on contests when there have been many reported registrations.

PS: I know that not all domain registrations come from CHs. Believe me. I’ve had over 40 registered. But sometimes it is the CH and it would be nice if we could report the right one.

PSS: THANK YOU, SH for helping on the one that I’m upset about

Thanks
Crying in Colorado

3 Likes

@Commulinks

Big Hugs!

2 Likes

:frowning: is that really the policy? I had a domain registration for an entry I submitted to two separate contests in the same week. I reported two separate domain registration inquiries - I assumed both would be looked into. :frowning:

I mostly let stuff roll right off my back but once in a while these situations sting a bit. I can relate. Sorry to hear it.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that @Commulinks

I wanted to add to your request…when we report a domain registration in a contest that is not finalized I think that an answer should be obtained from the CH before the contest is allowed to finalize. This way if the CH has agreed that they registered the Domain we receive a bonus prior to the contest being finalized. Of course, the CH May not have registered the name in most cases. But if they have (and have agreed that they have) and then the contest has not finalized I think it only fair that the creative gets a bonus or compensation for the name before the contest is finalized. :frowning: This would make me feel like my names were being much more protected.

6 Likes

is there anyway we can can get some kind of area/page where we can personally store our"gold" names(up to 25) also would like to directly check their availability on that page, with all the contests names entered we cant possibly keep track of them all, but a special page for those special names where we can go to daily and easily by marking that entry as such, The 60 day rule is killing me(((( had i a place to check as some were registered before the 60 days of submission entry, but the fact not discovered till even sometimes a few days too late.At least giving me the chance to have the CH say yes/no

8 Likes

I am so glad you brought this up Seezall. I’ve had the same issue with the 60 day rule and I kicked myself for not continuously checking. But, like you said, with so many names to keep track if, it really isn’t possible.

3 Likes

I have had very little financial reward reporting domain registrations. I am thinking it is not worth the time it eats away.

9 Likes

remember how we couldn’t see the full brief unless we opened it up thru the entries tab?

I think that may still be an issue bc CH just commented on my entry to remind me not to use ‘workplace’ as it’s one of the names they listed as dislike. However, that info is missing from the brief.

I too have missed the deadline by days,and have been highly frustrated.

It is a problem if you are an active creative,and submit hundreds/thousands of names in a 60 day period. It’s unreasonable to think we can keep tabs on every name. Plus I have had a contest close, but have it not be registered til after the 60 days.So you are out of luck out right of the gate,becuase of the 60 day rule,even though it just was registered.

I think the 60 days at least should start from the day of registration and not contest close. For names of mine that are unusual…I often do not discover they have been registered until I try to use it in another contest.If it is not a mainstream name…then months could easily go by until you have a contest it would fit for…then when you see it’s registered…it’s pretty much too bad, so sad.

I wonder too in some cases if people have caught on to the 60 day domain limit…so wait a little time to register knowing the creative will have no recourse,or won’t catch it.(I’m not accusing…just wondering.)

I had in one case a contest where THREE of my names were registered…but I didn’t find out til I tried to reuse one of the names and saw it was registered.So I then checked all the names trhat had been entered in that contest…and saw two others were registered too, and it had several reports of other domain registrations. But since it was past 60 days,I was out of luck.

I know it won’t change anything…but I think if your name gets registered, you should have the right at any time to be sure it was not taken without compensation,60 days or not. I know names are thought up and registered everyday…but I also think when a name I made up that is highly unusual has remained unthought of for years… it is very unlikely someone else within days or weeks of me submitting it, is going to suddenly come up with the exact same name. Not impossible…but unlikely.So I would like to at least have the right to follow up.

7 Likes

This is kind of a small request for SH and hopefully not a big hassle for you. I would like to recommend some font and character changes:

1. Submissions. We need a font that distinguishes a capital i from l better. For example, the word illustrate looks like Illustrate…3 llls
  2. Comments. My screen shows me a really funky font for the comments when you open them. Parts of letters are missing or faint. It’s really hard to read and if the CHs are seeing that, too, it’s probably irritating.
  3. I know we can’t submit names with odd characters or accents (I wish we could at least on names that don’t require a domain). But there are times when an accent would really look/feel great in a name. So I usually explain that in comments but if I try to put the word with an accent in it into the comment box, it creates some really weird other thing that isn’t a letter.

Thanks!

2 Likes

great suggestions. i totally agree with the i being hard to read capitalized. and the comments are visually very funky.

i know this is a bit of a hassle but if you want to add an accent mark you can copy/paste it into the entry form.

I just tested it out and it worked. it let me enter the word resumé for a contest. and it appeared exactly like that when i viewed it with the rest of my submissions for that contest. but then i quickly withdrew it bc it made no sense lol.

Did you do it in a document first and copy and paste? Thanks!