How To Develop a Great Name - Strategies, Tactics, Tips, and Tricks

What are you favorite Naming Strategies, Tactics, Tips, and Tricks?

We just published a few of our favorite ideas on the SH blog:
http://blog.squadhelp.com/5-categories-of-effective-evocative-names-for-your-business/
http://blog.squadhelp.com/find-your-perfect-business-name-with-the-squadhelp-naming-pyramid/

6 Likes

Good stuff Grant…THX!

1 Like

Peruse related images
A picture can trigger the perfect name. Use Google images or a stock photo service to search for relevant pictures. Then use the images to inspire unique names.

Start With This Made Up Naming Contest Brief
What Style or Character should our brand convey?
Spirit of cooperation and simplicity.

Google Image result for “cooperation”:

Google Image result for “simplicity”:

How many name ideas do these images spur?
6 words in 20 seconds. (Add a thesaurus, and we’ve got dozens of ideas to play with.)

What are your favorite Name-creation tactics?

4 Likes

Ok, I’ll jump into this: A great name concisely covers everything in the brief, stays on topic, can be easily found in a name search, but is different enough from everything out there so it won’t be confused with other names. When you see it, you wish you would have thought of it first because it’s so perfect.
What’s not a great name? Adding an “S” to what’s already out there. Slightly respelling previous winners. And above all, submitting names in a contest brief.
Of course, what helps the most is a great brief.

6 Likes

@auntshommy - This is great stuff. Can you share one of your favorite brand name development techniques as well?

Hmm…it’s such an intangible process that it’s hard to say. In the best briefs, they drop little hints that you can play with to create a name. Even a number sometimes leads to all kinds of great ideas. There was a recent excellent winner that perfectly included a Roman numeral in an ingenious way.
But as I said before, briefs that are very generally written tend to result in more generic submissions.

2 Likes

[quote=“auntshommy, post:4, topic:2100”]
Of course, what helps the most is a great brief.[/quote]
I agree! - I namestorm based on the information provided in the Brief - While I’ve seen some Briefs that are extremely long, they don’t give much direction or insight into what the Client is really looking for…

On the other hand, a well-written Brief that clearly and concisely indicates exactly what the Client likes and dislikes is truly inspiring, and it gets my wheels turning. :wink:

4 Likes

@auntshommy - What do you do when you “play with” hints from a brief?

@AlwriteyThen - Can you tell us what happens when your “wheels are turning”? What are some tactics and strategies that you use, after you’re inspired by a brief?

Brainstorm with a Search Engine

Google can be your most valuable resource. Use a search engine as your namestorming partner. Start searching for relevant words or phrases. Get creative with your searches, and think outside the box.

What are your favorite Namestorming tactics?

[quote=“Grant, post:9, topic:2100”]
What are some tactics and strategies that you use, after you’re inspired by a brief?[/quote]
OK, Grant, Here’s one tactic l use: Once I read a Brief that is clear about what the Client is looking for, I visualize the name that immediately pops into my mind on the window of a storefront, or as a Google search result.

If it looks good to me, or captures my imagination, I’ll enter it, 'cause if I don’t like it, who else will? (LOL) :wink:

3 Likes

I do that too!..I also speak the name aloud, as if I’m making cold calls, running thru the house saying, Hi this is Annie from XYZ Company… Lol, my kids tease me relentlessly when the hear me doing this.
And I brainstorm with my kids (teenagers) on some contests, especially relating to tech and gaming.

6 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

It’s happening to me too. I thought it might be just me. I’d like it to go back to showing the newest contests first.