Domain name registered--used in more than one contest

What I have been told is even if it has been submitted in more than one contest,you can only report the latest contest it was submitted into. However…if you do look it up on Whois, and find that info matches, or it is more likely to match a certain contest than another…I would report that one. But as it is…you can only report it in one contest.

It’s too late now, as I didn’t know I couldn’t report it in more than one contest, and I just reported the latest one.

Chances are you will find that the identity information is hidden. I check whois before I make the claim. Aren’t we suppose to? Isn’t that part of the form?

I have one or two names registered every month and I am nowhere near as active as many on here, so I am guessing that others have even more names registered. And let me just add, if the registering party’s information is indeed hidden, then you have to rely upon the CH admitting that someone mistakenly registered the name. Which, in my personal experience, has never happened.

5 Likes

Okay, now that I’ve looked at the site-in-progress at the domain, the info on the page VERY much matches a company brief I submitted to. But I already reported it in another contest so I can’t do it again.

This is lame.

1 Like

@geniuswaitress - If you use the blue button to show SH the similarities, they most definitely will assist you. My experience is that they do all they can do to help. They will not check all contests you submitted a name to, but in this instance it is worthwhile to at least ask. If they can’t do it, they will tell you.

Even if I already reported it (in what is probably the wrong contest)?

If the info matches the CH in a contest…they will usually make an exception and check it out. The ones that you are pretty much out of gas for are ones over 30 days and privately registered.If there is some probable kind of connection,with a name,company,etc…they will check it out still.Even if it is past 30 days or you have reported it already in another contest. But it has to be a pretty viable link.

2 Likes

In my experience squadhelp sends them a message they say no it wasnt them and thats the end of that. Again, in my experience.

2 Likes

@Dansma my experience too!

1 Like

These are the days of private registration and services that disguise domain registration info, and many other things, though. So, many times it’s all for naught and our IP is on the line unless we purchase our own or unlock the 8th wonder of the world that is the ID submission guideline matrix. Wish there were more ways to protect registration from happening for a period of 6 months, as that would make many here feel more comfortable and not have the wind knocked out of them after discovering that yet another name was registered. But, for right now, until this can happen if it will ever happen or whatever else type of safeguards that may arise — watch your names closely, submit for ID if you can, buy if you can, keep an eye on those you can’t, check them often, don’t use them in more than a couple contests (for your favorites) each month, and check every 3-5 days for registration. Not sure how this will help with what I’ve mentioned, but it’s all that’s available right now and may at least help a little.

They should also allow the us to report this for contests that lay in limbo “waiting for winner selection” even when they are over a month old. Many go on for months…since it is not technically CLOSED, we should be able to report.

8 Likes

That’s been my position too. The countdown ought to start after a contest has been awarded…not from when you submitted.

5 Likes

@jackieheraty…you can still report them using the blue button. Even after it closes. Doesn’t matter how many days.
I still think that some CH’s register the name they want and abandon the contest. They may not always be aware that they have to let admin know. But with all the domains I have reported, and there have been loads (just 3 yesterday) most are anonymous and the CH always said not me. I’ve never had one CH say yes I registered it.

1 Like

I have hesitated a LOT to say this but since this conversation is continuing, I feel I must. Creatives, please consider that this forum is PUBLIC, not just a forum for creatives. That said, think about what you are writing that is informative and instructive to those who might decide to use that information. If this forum were a creatives-only place, I wouldn’t being saying this. Believe me, I have a LOT of stories on this line. I’m saying this for your protection as well as mine and I ask you to consider deleting…
Thank you. I TRULY do not mean anything rude or mean toward ANY of you… just please think about it.

PS: If you have a question about why I wrote this, please message me PRIVATELY.

1 Like

Exactly. Let’s stay positive. There may be instances when it happens and that is why there is whois and other resources, if the name is private then onto the next. Do what all you can to protect your IP and realize that this is a lot of the nature of this sector. Many people, domain marketplaces, and domain hosts are always on the hunt for new domains and names are thousands are registered every day outside of the site. All we can do is do what is available and keep on going, no matter the results. It’s the nature of the interwebs and while I wish there were more safeguards, it doesn’t mean that many cases are ones that are in the negative – and when they are, you know what to do.

Which leads me to ask, why isn’t this forum for creatives only?

3 Likes

Discussing specific Domain Registration related issues is a violation of our policy. Please review our forum posting policy to ensure the posts are compliant with our policy. Please refer to the “Discussions Related to Domain Registration” section for more details about what kind of posts are not allowed in discussion forum. These issues must be reported to SH team directly.

1 Like

I haven’t called out a specific CH and would never do so. I entered the name in multiple contests.

Look, I’ll just cut my losses here. Whoever registered it can have it, since they already do. I just need to adjust my mindset and consider it the cost of working on this site.

There’s a thread around here somewhere with me livid after discovering the “my entries” page filter hadn’t been working for me the way I believed it did and that to actually discover if my names had been registered I basically had to go into every contest I’d entered and check, there are a couple where I’ve had 3 entries in the same contest registered, there’s been a large number entered. You can drive yourself bonkers, I did but now I’m like “ho hum” and kind of look at it like you just said, yup its the danger of putting them out there, esp when you can’t afford to register them yourself, however I tend to think well it’s a big old world out there full of people whose brains are also probably trying to come up with names for their own stuff or just to buy, and their brains are just as good as mine so it shouldn’t be too big a surprise :grin: its just when the dates are a bit hmm close!! Or you and six other people are feeling the same pain within the same contest!! :wink: What am I blathering on about eh?? I guess don’t let it eat you up!!